Lethbridge Hurricanes

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
Worst team in the WHL, just got beat 12-0 by Edmonton, and apparently their coach and a bunch of players have left the team?

Can anyone shed some light on what is going on with this franchise? I am not intending this thread to be bashing, I just am curious what is going on with them.

Thanks

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
They followed up a couple years of under performing and poor drafting with a GM and coaching change that shook the culture of the program. They weren't going to be a good team, things changed a few guys didn't like it and decided to ask out. They don't have any saviors in their prospect group so I think they are still 3-4 years away from contending.

I don't know much about the ownership situation, but I know a lot of people think they need private ownership rather than community ownership. I honestly don't know what to make of that part of the deal.

Brad Robson is the GM and former scout with the Dallas Stars. His son(I think it's his sone) Blake now the head scout. Drake Berehowsky is a young and respected coach. Barring some problems recruiting players to the team, they should be able to right the ship.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Lots of weirdness with this team.

The team has lost $1 million+ in recent years and since it is community-owned, the board of directors had to get a bank loan to avoid going broke.

There is a lot of anger in the community as it was rumored earlier this year that Kris Versteeg wanted to purchase the team and was turned away. The board of directors say that Versteeg never approached them about buying the team, but a lot of Twitter rumors/scuttlebutt is that the BOG was never made available to talk with Versteeg.

They brought in Drake Berehowsky, who was very successful in the ECHL last year, but has had real problems with this group of players. It started early when last year's #2 and #3 point-getters, Jaimen Yakubowski and Sam McKechnie, left the team/were sent home to be dealt. Other players have left the team (Spencer Meyer, for instance), but the one that really hurt was former bantam first rounder Ryan Pilon, who went home and requested a trade. Pilon should have been a guy Lethbridge built around for years because his late birthday means he's not eligible to be drafted until 2015, so Lethbridge should have gotten a full 3 years out of him before he was drafted to the NHL, but his departure is a big hole to fill, not to mention that with Pilon's public trade request, it meant that Lethbridge wasn't in any sort of position to replace Pilon, picking up a package including a d-man who will be in the AHL next year, a '96 born player of some renown, and a prospect. One has to wonder, seeing as it was never made public, what exactly Pilon's problem with Lethbridge was, and if it is related to Berehowsky, as Pilon seemed content last year.

By far the weirdest news, though, is that of assistant coach Brad Lukowich. Early last week, he stopped coming to Hurricanes games and practices. The team didn't release a statement why. Then, when questioned about it, Berehowsky told the media that Lukowich was sick, hence his absence. Another reporter followed up by asking if that was true and Berehowsky said something along the lines of "That's what I've been told, so that's what I believe to be true." Shortly after that, at a shareholders meeting, the BOG said that Lukowich was NOT sick, but was taking a leave of absence, amid rumors that he didn't get along with Berehowsky and would be reassigned elsewhere in the organization. A few days later it was announced that Lukowich had been fired. Lukowich, for his part, says he has no hard feelings with what happened.

It's kind of a disaster right now. I hope they turn things around.

More details about the shareholders meeting which was somewhat of a gong show: http://gdrinnan.blogspot.ca/2014/02/shareholders-hear-about-hurricanes.html

An alternate perspective that places the blame for the team on the people of Lethbridge: http://lethbridgeherald.com/sports/local-sports/2014/02/blame-starts-at-the-top/

Suter to MacInnis

Mar 20, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
I don't have a ton of insight into their current issues but I lived there years ago when the team was solid and the attendance/support was brutal, I don't think I ever went to the building more than 60% full including playoffs.

Can't argue that their management has been bad though, the loss of Pilon especially was just devastating and the got nothing comparable back, results wise they are the Oilers of the WHL right now.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
Its just a train wreck. One thing after another. When more than a few players leave the team to go sit at home awaiting a trade, it shows something is wrong. If one player did it, you could question the players character but when 4, 5 or 6 players (whatever the number was) AND a coach leave the team this is a signal something is wrong. The whole organization is rotten from the top and it trickles down.

The one the hit me the hardest as a Cane's fan was Pillon. Such a devastating blow to lose him with how good, young and promising he is. He was the lone saving grace for me with this organization.

Honestly, I'm pretty much at the point where I've given up on them until some drastic changes are made. With the terrible product they put forth over and over again, its time that something needs to be done.

Can't argue that their management has been bad though, the loss of Pilon especially was just devastating and the got nothing comparable back, results wise they are the Oilers of the WHL right now.

This is correct, as I've said above.
Lucky for me, Im a fan of both :cry:

NorthStar

Dec 24, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Wasnt something mentioned about the team moving somewhere?? If I read wrong, my apology.. but still, the Hurricanes needs to improve more.. I hope they do get back to the good years soon enough...

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
The basic purpose of being a community-owned team is to make it hard to move, correct?

The old early 70s Broncos franchise moved out of rather small Swift Current and was so, um, enamored by Lethbridge that they ended up selling to a consortium that returned it to Swift... if memory serves me correctly.

Sports Junkie 99

Aug 24, 2013
Hurricanes

They brought in Drake Berehowsky, who was very successful in the ECHL last year.

Pilon should have been a guy Lethbridge built around for years because his late birthday means he's not eligible to be drafted until 2015, so Lethbridge should have gotten a full 3 years out of him before he was drafted to the NHL, but his departure is a big hole to fill, not to mention that with Pilon's public trade request, it meant that Lethbridge wasn't in any sort of position to replace Pilon, picking up a package including a d-man who will be in the AHL next year, a '96 born player of some renown, and a prospect. ]

Berehowski was NOT very successful in the ECHL or anywhere he has coached. His hire was a huge mistake and he has run the team into the ground. Worst record in the entire CHL.

The D-man you mention who you say will be in the AHL next year is Nick Walters. I am pretty sure he will be back with the Canes. He has not played very good at all IMHO. Playing on such a poor team does not help of course, but I was quite surprised at his poor play considering some were saying we got a great D-man in the Pilon deal.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
Looks like the league might be stepping in and forcing the teams hand. Finally change might be coming.

From Darrel Romuld:

Hearing the cash strapped Leth Hurricanes will be forced to sell at seasons end. NHLer Kris Versteeg maintains his interest in buying it.

More from Fred Jack:

Sources confirming for me this morning the Lethbridge Hurricanes will make one of their largest...... announcements in franchise history after end of season but by May 1. #whl

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Maybe no one.

PG is sticking around for 2 years. Kootenay maybe.

Not many places that are ready for a WHL team. Winnipeg and Chilliwack are the ones that come to mind.

True North came out saying there is no plan to bring Kootenay to Winnipeg, after the PG Citizen said they were moving there for next season. TNSE is also in the process of moving their AHL from St. John's to Thunder Bay within the next couple of years, so it would seem logical to have that in place before taking on a third hockey team.

As for Chilliwack, would they even want the WHL to come back? I always got the feeling, even from yourself, that the people there wouldn't give the league the time of day after what happened to the Bruins.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
True North came out saying there is no plan to bring Kootenay to Winnipeg, after the PG Citizen said they were moving there for next season. TNSE is also in the process of moving their AHL from St. John's to Thunder Bay within the next couple of years, so it would seem logical to have that in place before taking on a third hockey team.

As for Chilliwack, would they even want the WHL to come back? I always got the feeling, even from yourself, that the people there wouldn't give the league the time of day after what happened to the Bruins.

True north denies EVERYTHING until it is confirmed. It was like that with the Jets return. I believe Winnipeg will get a team soon. There are so many ways for TNSE to market it, from packages with jets tickets, to putting games on TSN JETS (if that is allowed). It would allow the MTSC to be used almost everyday over winter, making true north not just ticket revenue, but money from food, drinks and people going to the Shark Club after the game.

It would be a great fit in Winnipeg

lalegend

Mar 8, 2014
Its just my opinion, but I believe the Hurricanes will be sold to private investors and kept in the city. Pressure from the league coupled with the community based team is losing $ like crazy adds up to a drastic move. I am not in any loop or know no inside information. Just a fan listening to the pulse and scuttlebut around town. I think either Versteeg or Sutter will be involved. Just a feeling!!

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Its just my opinion, but I believe the Hurricanes will be sold to private investors and kept in the city. Pressure from the league coupled with the community based team is losing $ like crazy adds up to a drastic move. I am not in any loop or know no inside information. Just a fan listening to the pulse and scuttlebut around town. I think either Versteeg or Sutter will be involved. Just a feeling!!

The only rumor that has legs is the Canes moving to Winnipeg. That gives the Jets a team. Then the Kootenay Ice would move to Lethbridge. Kootenay is hurting for attendance and could use a move to a bigger population base.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I came in here because as someone in Lethbridge I have been starting to hear rumors from a season ticket holder. Now I will 100% and say I have no idea how legitimate the rumors actually are.

What I was told this week is that:

1. The Lethbridge Hurricanes will be sold and moved to Winnipeg to become the Moose.
2. The Kootenay Ice will move to Lethbridge.
3. If the sale of the team falls through to Winnipeg they will be sold locally (I assume to the Versteeg group). But the current ownership structure will no longer be around come next season.

DoubleJ96

Aug 23, 2006
Winnipeg
Roger Millions reported on the Hurricanes moving to Winnipeg today as well. He said there a lot of rumours out there about it happening but nothing happening yet.

ace4

Mar 11, 2014
Why does Lethbridge lose a team and then gain one back? Why not just have the Kootenay Ice move to Winnipeg?

billybobjoe2112

Feb 2, 2010
Prince George B.C.
Why does Lethbridge lose a team and then gain one back? Why not just have the Kootenay Ice move to Winnipeg?

The league wants to get rid of the current owners in Lethbridge. And because the team is community owned the only way to remove the owners is to move the team to a different city (Winnipeg). Then Kootenay gets purchased by a new owner who then relocates them to Lethbridge.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The league wants to get rid of the current owners in Lethbridge. And because the team is community owned the only way to remove the owners is to move the team to a different city (Winnipeg). Then Kootenay gets purchased by a new owner who then relocates them to Lethbridge.
Or the current Ice owners move the team to Lethbridge so they can play in a bigger community with a bigger arena. Fans in Lethbridge will show up once the current current owners are gone

NorthStar

Dec 24, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Got a question.. if the Lethbridge Hurricanes does end up moving to Winnipeg.. will the Hurricanes name be left behind for the next team or what? Just curious as to that...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad