Lethbridge Hurricanes

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Reid Duke has agreed to come back to the team.... That's a start in a positive direction.

Thing is if Reid Duke was drafted by a good team, he'd've been drafted as low as 4th round, but instead he went 6th round. To me he was a steal. But from watching him play he looked as he could be a top 6 line player. I thought last year he was going to rip it up.

But I hope they trade Duke away to a good team with better management. I think he'll rip it up if he goes to a new team.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
There are rumours its the new coach, but the GM has refused to make changes in that department. The board has refused to make changes too, so really its just a mess from the top down and this is the result.

Regarding keeping players and not trading them, it is definitely a hard spot to be in. Pillon and Duke are/were their best players and recent top 5 picks. Its definitely tough to not trade these assets and lose them for nothing, when you can trade them for something at least. As of right now, the Canes have suspended Duke and Erkamps, however there was some new that Duke was going to report to camp after all, however I haven't heard any more news on that.
The problems start higher than the coach and GM, the problem starts with the ownership group. Until they are sold nothing will change.

arsmaster*

Thing is if Reid Duke was drafted by a good team, he'd've been drafted as low as 4th round, but instead he went 6th round. To me he was a steal. But from watching him play he looked as he could be a top 6 line player. I thought last year he was going to rip it up.

But I hope they trade Duke away to a good team with better management. I think he'll rip it up if he goes to a new team.

Well he'll get his shot now won't he.

This franchise is a joke. Fold it up. The trades they're making as Brandon's farm team are ridiculous. This reflects poorly on the league.

WesternHockeyScout

Apr 29, 2011
This is not the bad trade it is bing made out to be

I realize it's fashionable to rip on Lethbridge management, but I think most people are over-reacting on this trade.

The Hurricanes are getting 3 fantastic hockey players. High character guys who are talented players, leaders and have been scoring champions throughout their careers. Depth in Brandon kept them from having the numbers they could easily have in this league, but at the end of the day (and it might take this season and next to fully judge it) but these 3 players getting good ice will put up very numbers in this league.

It very well could be, as little as 12 months from now, the very same people who are saying Lethbridge lost this trade could be touting this trade as the turning point.

It's early of course, but these are 3 very fine hockey players and potential difference makers.

This is an unpopular notion, but considering he basically had a gun to the head, I think Robson did just fine with this trade.

The notion that you have to WIN or LOSE a trade is silly. These are young men involved and every one of the 6 young men involved are in a better situation today than they were in yesterday. This trade is a WIN-WIN for everyone involved and the GM's of both teams deserve credit.

It' a good trade for all involved.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Well he'll get his shot now won't he.

This franchise is a joke. Fold it up. The trades they're making as Brandon's farm team are ridiculous. This reflects poorly on the league.

It was funny cause I knew Duke was going to the Wheaties. The Lethbridge Hurricanes are just going downhill a very steep mountain. Seems as Lethbridge is turning into the team where people who just want to play in the WHL in general are playing for. Hoping a good owner buys them like Kris Versteeg, or that team is taking a one-way ticket to True North Sports and Entertainment. They do deserve a better owner. That team could've been a contender if they did all the right things.

Oct 15, 2008
I realize it's fashionable to rip on Lethbridge management, but I think most people are over-reacting on this trade.

The Hurricanes are getting 3 fantastic hockey players. High character guys who are talented players, leaders and have been scoring champions throughout their careers. Depth in Brandon kept them from having the numbers they could easily have in this league, but at the end of the day (and it might take this season and next to fully judge it) but these 3 players getting good ice will put up very numbers in this league.

It very well could be, as little as 12 months from now, the very same people who are saying Lethbridge lost this trade could be touting this trade as the turning point.

It's early of course, but these are 3 very fine hockey players and potential difference makers.

This is an unpopular notion, but considering he basically had a gun to the head, I think Robson did just fine with this trade.

The notion that you have to WIN or LOSE a trade is silly. These are young men involved and every one of the 6 young men involved are in a better situation today than they were in yesterday. This trade is a WIN-WIN for everyone involved and the GM's of both teams deserve credit.

It' a good trade for all involved.

They traded bottom six/bottom pairing guys for top end guys.

How in the world is that "good" for both teams?

I suppose the Pilon trade was "good" for both teams too?

Holy ****ing **** man. :shakehead

I realize these Brandon kids are probably good kids, hardworking and all that, but come on. Lets get real.

WesternHockeyScout

Apr 29, 2011
They traded bottom six/bottom pairing guys for top end guys.

How in the world is that "good" for both teams?

I suppose the Pilon trade was "good" for both teams too?

Holy ****ing **** man. :shakehead

I realize these Brandon kids are probably good kids, hardworking and all that, but come on. Lets get real.

It's all relative. The Brandon guys were not going to be top guys on a deep Brandon team right now but very well could be in Lethbridge. I would think Lindgren ends up 2nd line center, Kitt is 2nd or 3rd line LW and Pankewicz is a top 4 D in Lethbridge.

Likewise, Duke won't be a top 3 forward in Brandon and Erkamps might be on the bottom pair.

We'll find out soon enough, but there seems to be a little over-valuing of the Lethbridge players and an undervaluing of the Brandon players. This trade is much closer than folks are making it out to be.

Bottom line is that all 6 players are better off today than yesterday. The 3 Brandon players will get the ice they have been ready to get or quite some time and the two Lethbridge players will report to a team they want to play for.

The Canes get 3 players who are happy to be there and can play in their top 9 forwards and top 4 D. Character guys with skill who put their work boots on every day.

In Brandon, they add a solid forward to their top 9 and get a right hand shooting defenseman they have been looking for. Also, the 3 for 2 deal opens up a much needed forward spot to develop it's young players.

It's a win-win for everybody involved.

arsmaster*

It was funny cause I knew Duke was going to the Wheaties. The Lethbridge Hurricanes are just going downhill a very steep mountain. Seems as Lethbridge is turning into the team where people who just want to play in the WHL in general are playing for. Hoping a good owner buys them like Kris Versteeg, or that team is taking a one-way ticket to True North Sports and Entertainment. They do deserve a better owner. That team could've been a contender if they did all the right things.

As a Vancouver Island resident, I'm hoping nanaimo gets their poop in a group and gets a rink built. Dreaming of the day of adding another WHL team to the Island.

arsmaster*

It's all relative. The Brandon guys were not going to be top guys on a deep Brandon team right now but very well could be in Lethbridge. I would think Lindgren ends up 2nd line center, Kitt is 2nd or 3rd line LW and Pankewicz is a top 4 D in Lethbridge.

Likewise, Duke won't be a top 3 forward in Brandon and Erkamps might be on the bottom pair.

We'll find out soon enough, but there seems to be a little over-valuing of the Lethbridge players and an undervaluing of the Brandon players. This trade is much closer than folks are making it out to be.

Bottom line is that all 6 players are better off today than yesterday. The 3 Brandon players will get the ice they have been ready to get or quite some time and the two Lethbridge players will report to a team they want to play for.

The Canes get 3 players who are happy to be there and can play in their top 9 forwards and top 4 D. Character guys with skill who put their work boots on every day.

In Brandon, they add a solid forward to their top 9 and get a right hand shooting defenseman they have been looking for. Also, the 3 for 2 deal opens up a much needed forward spot to develop it's young players.

It's a win-win for everybody involved.
Brandon also got a pretty highly picked bantam selection in Tak Anholt too. Don't see why that was tacked on at all.

Trades are often judged by who gets the better player, and Brandon getting Duke IMO wins the deal outright off the bat, and if Anholt comes in next year and grows with the young core there, it looks like the Wheaties continue to be haves and Lethbridge continues on as the have nots.

Pilon, Merkley, and Duke in a year is crazy.

thething

Jul 28, 2014
Brandon also got a pretty highly picked bantam selection in Tak Anholt too. Don't see why that was tacked on at all.

Trades are often judged by who gets the better player, and Brandon getting Duke IMO wins the deal outright off the bat, and if Anholt comes in next year and grows with the young core there, it looks like the Wheaties continue to be haves and Lethbridge continues on as the have nots.

Pilon, Merkley, and Duke in a year is crazy.

Anholt is a throw in at this point, if he isn't going to report the Lethbridge then they might as well trade him.

It's unlikely that he makes much of an impact in the WHL as he had a poor midget season last year and didn't make his BCHL team this season. He's a guy that definitely benefited from playing on a stacked bantam team.

I think the real concern is if this trend continues with Bellerive or King. If prospects like Anholt start deciding they don't want to play in Lethbridge then what could it mean for higher regarded prospects?

On a bright note I'm happy that the hurricane came from behind to get their first win this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->