Letang for the HoF?

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
How do you think players enter the Hockey Hall of Fame?

Five people get voted into the HHOF per year.

In baseball players need to receive a 75% approval rating by the voters to get voted in.

Over the last decade this is how many currently retired players got elected to the HOF in baseball.

2, 4, 4, 3, 1, 4, 3, 0, 1, 2

With that format over the last ten years only 24 players have been voted in. The standards are much higher in baseball.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Depends on what happens on the back end of his career.

He has a similar case to Zubov at the moment.

# 1 D for the closest thing to a dynasty we have seen since the cap. Likely hits 600 pts. Possibly 700.

Could easily see him getting in.

Last edited:

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
I don't think he will get in, but I'm not sure what relevance the last 5 specifically have. Wouldn't it make more sense to look at everyone?

I think he would have been in if he had been more healthy.

He would have had a better career, for sure.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
He’s pretty close for someone with no individual hardware. I was surprised to see that only Burns, Karlsson and Carlson have higher ppg over the last 5 years.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
He’s pretty close for someone with no individual hardware. I was surprised to see that only Burns, Karlsson and Carlson have higher ppg over the last 5 years.

Letang has a higher PPG though career wise of everyone besides Karlsson (which is duh). And although Carlson is peaking, Karlsson and Burns aren’t.

While Letang is consistent.

History will be much kinder to Kris Letang than those that see a bad play every other night and judge him on it.

Reactions: Gallatin

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
1 single season where he was a norris finalist isnt anywhere near enough when looking at non team awards. Never being good enough to break through team Canada's Dcore for the olympics/worlds hasnt helped. Among his peers Weber, Chara, Karlsson, Keith, Burns, Hedman, and even Suter (more norris votes and top 5 finishes) all of them can be argued to have been better than Letang over the majority of their careers. Letang was never the best in any given season and always was behind a good 4-5 other dmen and when he wasnt he was on the IR

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Five people get voted into the HHOF per year.

In baseball players need to receive a 75% approval rating by the voters to get voted in.

Over the last decade this is how many currently retired players got elected to the HOF in baseball.

2, 4, 4, 3, 1, 4, 3, 0, 1, 2

With that format over the last ten years only 24 players have been voted in. The standards are much higher in baseball.

First, it's a max of 4 players elected every year, not 5.

And the NHL has similar voting, in that the 18-member selection committee must vote 75% in favour of a player. Granted that is a much smaller pool than the baseball hall of fame, and don't disclose voting, which is definitely something that could be done.

And for the record, here is the HHOF's number of elected going back 10 years (only counting men, as the women inductees don't count against the 4 limit):

3, 3, 4, 3, 4, 4, 3, 4, 4, 1

And I'll also note I too think they induct too many players, and a lot of the recent ones are rather questionable, but that is not relevant here.

han316

Feb 6, 2013
I don't think he will get in, but I'm not sure what relevance the last 5 specifically have. Wouldn't it make more sense to look at everyone?

I think he would have been in if he had been more healthy.

you could add them all but the sixth was S.Niedermayer.

just adding context.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
1 single season where he was a norris finalist isnt anywhere near enough when looking at non team awards. Never being good enough to break through team Canada's Dcore for the olympics/worlds hasnt helped. Among his peers Weber, Chara, Karlsson, Keith, Burns, Hedman, and even Suter (more norris votes and top 5 finishes) all of them can be argued to have been better than Letang over the majority of their careers. Letang was never the best in any given season and always was behind a good 4-5 other dmen and when he wasnt he was on the IR

Jay Bouwmeester and Jake Muzzin were part of the Olympic teams. And do you really think Letang wouldn’t have been part of the Worlds if he wanted to be?

deepthoughtsleafs

Oct 14, 2018
My votes no. He doesn't impact the game like players inducted in the HoF did. If he does, he's definitely a lower tier HoFer.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Keep in mind, Zubov didn't receive his first and only Norris nomination (yes, nomination) until the 2005-06 season. Yet he was just inducted into the HoF.

Is he a first ballot type of go? No, definitely not. However, I can see him getting in at some point.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Currently don't think it happens because he hasn't been fit enough to rack up the individual success and points needed to make it obvious, and because he lives a bit in the shadow of Sid and Geno, but could change quickly with a couple of remarkable seasons or play-offs.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Let's face it, there are a ton of people in the hall that don't belong there.
They have a set quota of people that must make it in every year.

I'd put Glen Anderson in there before Letang and Anderson has been retired for so long that I've come to the assumption that he isn't getting it... but you never know. There were a lot of guys from the 80's and 90's that did some insane stuff and that probably back-logged Anderson out of the HHOF so far that it killed his chances.

I don't think there have been as many amazing players who've been amazing for so many years over the past 20 years, so he's probably got a better chance than Anderson all things considered.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
Let's face it, there are a ton of people in the hall that don't belong there.
They have a set quota of people that must make it in every year.

I'd put Glen Anderson in there before Letang and Anderson has been retired for so long that I've come to the assumption that he isn't getting it... but you never know. There were a lot of guys from the 80's and 90's that did some insane stuff and that probably back-logged Anderson out of the HHOF so far that it killed his chances.

I don't think there have been as many amazing players who've been amazing for so many years over the past 20 years, so he's probably got a better chance than Anderson all things considered.
Anderson is in.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
No. Hall of very good. He has too much going against him.

No Norris trophies, and only a 3rd and 4th place finish. His numbers don’t really stand out as being that impressive. He has 3 cups, but totally missed the playoffs for one.

He’s a good player, but you could swap him out for a lot of other defensemen, and they would have done just as well or better playing with that team.

Reactions: Sam Spade and BHD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad