Boston Bruins Let this sink in

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
You can only prove so much in the regular season.

They’ve already won the Presidents’ Trophy. Winning it by a 20 point margin doesn’t help them in any way once the playoffs start.

The 2007 undefeated Patriots lost the Super Bowl.
The 2016 Warriors won 73 games and lost the Finals.
The 2001 Mariners won 116 games and lost the LCS.

The major difference with the Warriors and Patriots is that their championship windows remained very much open.

Same with the ‘19 Lightning.

For a variety of reasons, this feels like the end for this Bruins team. The salary cap. The overage penalties for next season. Bergeron and Krejci’s ages.

They’ll still be good, but will they be elite?

And this team, fair or not, shoulders the underachievement for the Bergeron and Co. core and the missed opportunities in 09, 10, 12, 13, 14, and 19.

Look at what happened to them after they went belly up in ‘14; consecutive DNQs.

I can’t think of a team with more pressure on its shoulders since the 2003 and 2004 Red Sox.
Stop it, you're depressing me!!

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Ultimately, you can’t really compare eras.

However, that 77 Canadiens team lost 8 regular season games, had a +216 goal differential, and did not have an opportunity to get extra points from fake hockey 3 on 3 and gimmick shootouts.

Fewer teams.
Different game back then.

Swept the Bruins in the finals.

That Montreal team had 8 Hall of Famers.

Safe to say this Bruins team won't have that many.

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Stop it, you're depressing me!!
Not my intent at all.

But you know and I know this franchise has historically underachieved.

The numbers tell me they’re in another rung ahead of Toronto, Tampa, Carolina, and New York Rangers.

My eyeballs tell me something different.

They looked like absolute world beaters in ‘09, racking up 116 points and lost to the 97 point Carolina Hurricanes in Round 2.

Same in ‘14. 117 points. Presidents’ Trophy. Lose to the 100 point Canadiens in Round 2.

I’ve just been burned too many times by this organization.

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
Not my intent at all.

The numbers tell me they’re in another rung ahead of Toronto, Tampa, Carolina, and New York Rangers.

They looked like absolute world beaters in ‘09, racking up 116 points and lost to the 97 point Carolina Hurricanes in Round 2.

Same in ‘14. 117 points. Presidents’ Trophy. Lose to the 100 point Canadiens in Round 2.

I worry about this too and it makes me ‘caustically optimistic’

I thought the ‘83 team could beat the Islanders but Peters became normal vs them.

I thought the ‘90 team would go all the way…..but Peter Kilma put a dagger in our hearts in game 1.

I thought the ‘93 team was so strong……but…..Buffalo shocked us to the core in 4 straight.

Not saying I don’t think they can’t win the Cup, but again being cautious as it’s the hardest trophy in sports to win and a 16 win grind.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Sure but the league in 77 was full of guys who sold insurance in the off season. And there was no cap. There’s another side of it too.

Not sure what off season jobs have got to do with this subject.

Still, for this Bruins team to have the record they have is a much more significant accomplishment than the 76-77 Canadiens. Montreal only lost 11 games the season before and 10 the season after.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Not my intent at all.

I get where you're coming from because I'm there too. You're bracing yourself because we've been
disappointed so many times for such a long time. We get so high from this season that we're still scared, from
events of the past, PTSD from so many huge disappointments.
President's trophies and other consolation prizes are great but the Stanley Cup is the grand-daddy of all championships. Having that Cup and the ensuing celebrations is the ultimate for
hockey and IMO for all sports. Nothing else comes close. That being said, even if it doesn't happen for this team
I will always cherish and appreciate this team and remember this season as a most uniquely special one.
The Cup is the cherry on top of the icing on the cake that's been this season.
Without that cherry and icing there's still a cake (and cookies for some) which is still delicious but...

I worry about this too and it makes me ‘caustically optimistic’

I thought the ‘83 team could beat the Islanders but Peters became normal vs them.

I thought the ‘90 team would go all the way…..but Peter Kilma put a dagger in our hearts in game 1.

I thought the ‘93 team was so strong……but…..Buffalo shocked us to the core in 4 straight.

Not saying I don’t think they can’t win the Cup, but again being cautious as it’s the hardest trophy in sports to win and a 16 win grind.
Let's not forget the turning point of that "lights out" game vs the Oilers at Boston Garden. IIRC, we were in the lead when the lights went out and the NHL ruled that the game needed to be started from the beginning 0-0 regardless of the fact that the Bruins were leading when the lights went out. Did they even move that game to Edmonton too? I don't remember all of it because it hurt(s) so much that I don't really want to remember. PTSD.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Not sure what off season jobs have got to do with this subject.

Still, for this Bruins team to have the record they have is a much more significant accomplishment than the 76-77 Canadiens. Montreal only lost 11 games the season before and 10 the season after.

Just looking at the standings from that year, there were 18 NHL teams, of which 5 teams had records indicating fairly strong teams. (Montreal, Boston, Buffalo, Islanders and Phildelphia).

Another 4 teams were what I would call ".500-ish"

None of the bottom 9 teams cracked 30 wins. Every team in the Smythe division was under 500. The Red Wings (who shared a division with Montreal) had just 16 wins in 80 games.

The quality of competition wasn't nearly as high then as it is today.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Just looking at the standings from that year, there were 18 NHL teams, of which 5 teams had records indicating fairly strong teams. (Montreal, Boston, Buffalo, Islanders and Phildelphia).

None of the bottom 9 teams cracked 30 wins. Every team in the Smythe division was under 500. The Red Wings (who shared a division with Montreal) had just 16 wins in 80 games.

There also wasn't a salary cap, teams could retain all of their top talent for most of their careers if they chose too.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Remember, ties ended in ties then.

For example, Minnesota had only 23 wins that season. But they had 18 ties. Only needed to win 7 of those in OT or shootouts to get 30 wins.

Montreal had 12 ties. They could easily have won 10 of those and ended with 70 wins.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
You can only prove so much in the regular season.

They’ve already won the Presidents’ Trophy. Winning it by a 20 point margin doesn’t help them in any way once the playoffs start.

The 2007 undefeated Patriots lost the Super Bowl.
The 2016 Warriors won 73 games and lost the Finals.
The 2001 Mariners won 116 games and lost the LCS.

The major difference with the Warriors and Patriots is that their championship windows remained very much open.

Same with the ‘19 Lightning.

For a variety of reasons, this feels like the end for this Bruins team. The salary cap. The overage penalties for next season. Bergeron and Krejci’s ages.

They’ll still be good, but will they be elite?

And this team, fair or not, shoulders the underachievement for the Bergeron and Co. core and the missed opportunities in 09, 10, 12, 13, 14, and 19.

Look at what happened to them after they went belly up in ‘14; consecutive DNQs.

I can’t think of a team with more pressure on its shoulders since the 2003 and 2004 Red Sox.

therapy may cost more but is likely more effective

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
Y
I get where you're coming from because I'm there too. You're bracing yourself because we've been
disappointed so many times for such a long time. We get so high from this season that we're still scared, from
events of the past, PTSD from so many huge disappointments.
President's trophies and other consolation prizes are great but the Stanley Cup is the grand-daddy of all championships. Having that Cup and the ensuing celebrations is the ultimate for
hockey and IMO for all sports. Nothing else comes close. That being said, even if it doesn't happen for this team
I will always cherish and appreciate this team and remember this season as a most uniquely special one.
The Cup is the cherry on top of the icing on the cake that's been this season.
Without that cherry and icing there's still a cake (and cookies for some) which is still delicious but...

Let's not forget the turning point of that "lights out" game vs the Oilers at Boston Garden. IIRC, we were in the lead when the lights went out and the NHL ruled that the game needed to be started from the beginning 0-0 regardless of the fact that the Bruins were leading when the lights went out. Did they even move that game to Edmonton too? I don't remember all of it because it hurt(s) so much that I don't really want to remember. PTSD.
Yeah the game was called and then replayed in Edmonton. Meh. Another depressing spring but that Oilers team was simply amazing. We have run into some incredible teams over the years in the finals. But I guess it could be worse: the Leafs once celebrated their ‘93 team that made it to the conference finals that year. Congratulations on being close but no cigar and not even making the finals!

‘…..Ladies and gentleman…..let’s hear it for the boys that didn’t win!!!’ LOL!!!!

Reactions: Gordoff

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Since I don't know a thing about the 2018 Red Sox or 2007 Patriots, I'm looking at it like the 2011 Bruins - a team with amazing chemistry, a hard working, close knit team that play for each other and have each others backs - it all coming together at the right time. They haven't even peaked yet.

This team is not the Panthers or Lightning, these guys are well aware of what can happen and know what is on the line. I don't see arrogance. Every player knows that this is the time, play your hearts out and get the prize. It may be Bergy's last dance, they want to win it all for him. It seems to be that everybody has bought in and they are a freight train. No jinxes here.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Bah.......those two teams with 62 wins didn't even make the finals.

And you can't compare teams from the pre-2005 lockout era to teams that availed of the shoot-out and 3 on 3/4 on 4 OT. Apples to oranges.

The 1996 Detroit Red Wings lost to the Colorado Avalanche in the 3rd round. Is there a single Detroit fan who would consider that year a successful season? Probably not.

Anything less than a finals appearance is a disappointment.
they are going to have so much pressure. esp if they break the record. and we all know how this core has feared under pressure. lol.
i just think if we make it out of round 1 it will be smooth sailing.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I’m choosing to see this team as a 2018 Red Sox as opposed to a 2007 Patriots. Here is a golden opportunity for the Bruins to shed some of that “loser” label and actually get the job done. All they have to do is win 16 hockey games.

While more championships would have been nice, I find the implication that the current Bruins have a "loser" label to be pretty harsh and not on par with what I feel most hockey fans see. I hear that kind of stuff about the Oilers and Leafs. If anything, most of what I hear about the Bruins is just general trash talk but also a fair amount of jealousy from other fanbases that we are closing in on 15 years of a consistently competitive team that has been to three Championships and won one.

It is absolutely going to suck if they don't win a Championship this year. But f*** that, they aren't losers if they don't take it home.

ShiftyNifty16

Blow it up, burn it down, hit reset and start over
Apr 11, 2014
Earth
I’m choosing to see this team as a 2018 Red Sox as opposed to a 2007 Patriots. Here is a golden opportunity for the Bruins to shed some of that “loser” label and actually get the job done. All they have to do is win 16 hockey games.
They need to win 4 at a time, 4 times. Smaller bites.

It is IMPERATIVE they get the job done if they are in a position of 2-1, 3-2. They have to finish teams off and not count on home ice late in a series. I have seen this too many times, they go into a game that will bury the opponent and let them off the hook, Instead of leading 3-1 it's 2-2 and they lose game 6 or 7. It's the same in games, the Blues the other night, up 3-0 and Frederick took at least a couple of shots where he should have passed. A goal would be nice for the family, eh? Those missed opportunities didn't seem a big deal, until it was 3-3.

The Bruins historically have a habit of taking the foot off the gas before the finish line, this is what worries me.

Last edited:

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Ultimately, you can’t really compare eras.

However, that 77 Canadiens team lost 8 regular season games, had a +216 goal differential, and did not have an opportunity to get extra points from fake hockey 3 on 3 and gimmick shootouts.

Fewer teams.
Different game back then.

Swept the Bruins in the finals.

They also never had to deal with a salary cap and feasted on a very weak division.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
While more championships would have been nice, I find the implication that the current Bruins have a "loser" label to be pretty harsh and not on par with what I feel most hockey fans see. I hear that kind of stuff about the Oilers and Leafs. If anything, most of what I hear about the Bruins is just general trash talk but also a fair amount of jealousy from other fanbases that we are closing in on 15 years of a consistently competitive team that has been to three Championships and won one.

It is absolutely going to suck if they don't win a Championship this year. But f*** that, they aren't losers if they don't take it home.
I deleted a huge response I had typed out because I just couldn’t make it sound right. Just know that I really want this team to win the Stanley Cup in the worst way.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
This thread is the hockey equivalent of talking to your pitcher in the dugout during a game about the no-hitter he's throwing.....

I used to be superstitious…

until every single superstition didn’t work.

Although, I thoroughly enjoyed every orange cream bar I ate during the third quarter of every Pats game in 2007.

I don‘t know what was wrong with that 19th bar though.

Last edited:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Not my intent at all.

It’s not necessarily the Bruins who make me worry.

Its the 2019 Lightning

And the fact that, what, 75% of President’s trophy winners don’t win it all.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
they are going to have so much pressure. esp if they break the record. and we all know how this core has feared under pressure. lol.
i just think if we make it out of round 1 it will be smooth sailing.

I'm not that worried about Round 1. The Islanders could be a tough out however I think the Bruins overcome them. This isn't the same team as that 2021 team that had basically no production from their 3rd and 4th lines.

Round 2 this year is the troublesome one. One way or another you're getting a challenging opponent. I'm not sure which one brings bigger pressure. Facing a Leaf team coming off it's first playoff series victory in 2 decades salivating to face their playoff boogeyman in the Boston Bruins (plus all the added media attention in Canada).

Or facing the Bruins own playoff boogeyman in a sense in the form of the three-time consecutive cup finalist in TB who are beatable but won't go down easy.

Round 2 to me is pick your poison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad