Cambridge, MA
Let this sink in

1680483563424.png

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
They need 3 wins in 5 games and they play Washington, Philly and Poutineville plus New Jersey and Toronto.

Can they get 8 points in those 5 games? With 3 home games it is very possible with the 2 road games in Philadelphia and Montreal.

Neely and Sweeney were right after all.

1680485324583.png

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Putting aside how we hope the postseason ends, I'm happy that Bergeron got to captain a historic team like this. I know the letter ultimately doesn't mean anything, but it's still something he'll be able to look back at one day and be proud of.

Although he has another historic team to captain next year too. :D

I've thoroughly enjoyed this season.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Ultimately, you can’t really compare eras.

However, that 77 Canadiens team lost 8 regular season games, had a +216 goal differential, and did not have an opportunity to get extra points from fake hockey 3 on 3 and gimmick shootouts.

Fewer teams.
Different game back then.

Swept the Bruins in the finals.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

However, that 77 Canadiens team lost 8 regular season games, had a +216 goal differential, and did not have an opportunity to get extra points from fake hockey 3 on 3 and gimmick shootouts.

Fewer teams.

Exactly. It feels as though there'll be an asterisk next to the record (if they accomplish it). Games like Sunday's overtime/shootout win skew the comparison IMHO.
Nevertheless, I love this team and I'll still appreciate every single player and every single decision that the front office, pro scouts, and coaches made.
This is the other best team I've ever seen in the spoked B, next to the 1971 team
Hopefully they break the tie with that team and are the absolute best of my lifetime.

This season should be cherished and a lifelong golden memory for generations of Bruins fans.
Hopefully, they get the big prize since, to me, little else matters as much. Also, I'd love to take my grandkids to
the parade if there is one since you never know if it's going to happen for a long while and I may not be here to enjoy it with them the next time. They weren't around for the last one and my grandson (the oldest) was weeks away from
being born back in 2011.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Exactly. It feels as though there'll be an asterisk next to the record (if they accomplish it). Games like Sunday's overtime/shootout win skew the comparison IMHO.
Nevertheless, I love this team and I'll still appreciate every single player and every single decision that the front office, pro scouts, and coaches made.
This is the other best team I've ever seen in the spoked B, next to the 1971 team
Hopefully they break the tie with that team and are the absolute best of my lifetime.

This season should be cherished and a lifelong golden memory for generations of Bruins fans.
Hopefully, they get the big prize since, to me, little else matters as much. Also, I'd love to take my grandkids to
the parade if there is one since you never know if it's going to happen for a long while and I may not be here to enjoy it with them the next time. They weren't around for the last one and my grandson (the oldest) was weeks away from
being born back in 2011.
Sure but the league in 77 was full of guys who sold insurance in the off season. And there was no cap. There’s another side of it too.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden

Fewer teams.

I remember them fairly well and they have a strong argument for best team of all time along with 55-57 habs and maybe 86-87 Oilers. They benefitted from playing in a weak division, but man were they good. It strikes me how many good players Pollock acquired cheaply. Mahavolich came from Detroit for next to nothing. Lambert from the Detroit system on a waiver claim!? They could win in any style. It is surprising to see we beat them three times early in the year, including a game in Montreal! I think that was the last time we beat them there for like 10 years and something like 27 games.

Reactions: Gordoff

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I will be the first one who will say comparing our current Bruins team to the powerhouse Poutineville teams of the late 70s is laughable.

I will also remind you that the Bruins of the late 70s was a thorn to those great Habs teams.

For this old chronicler of Bruins hockey, the chance they could cement the all-time wins and points records IN MONTREAL makes me giddy.

In 2 weeks none of this matters - The Cup goes to the team that wins 16 games in the real season.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Bah.......those two teams with 62 wins didn't even make the finals.

And you can't compare teams from the pre-2005 lockout era to teams that availed of the shoot-out and 3 on 3/4 on 4 OT. Apples to oranges.

The 1996 Detroit Red Wings lost to the Colorado Avalanche in the 3rd round. Is there a single Detroit fan who would consider that year a successful season? Probably not.

Anything less than a finals appearance is a disappointment.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I remember them fairly well and they have a strong argument for best team of all time along with 55-57 habs and maybe 86-87 Oilers. They benefitted from playing in a weak division, but man were they good. It strikes me how many good players Pollock acquired cheaply. Mahavolich came from Detroit for next to nothing. Lambert from the Detroit system on a waiver claim!? They could win in any style. It is surprising to see we beat them three times early in the year, including a game in Montreal! I think that was the last time we beat them there for like 10 years and something like 27 games.

Many in Canada believe this was one of the greatest hockey games ever played

The Soviet team in that era was the gold standard and only faltered in one game at Lake Placid, NY in 1980.

The Bruins of that era were probably the third-best hockey team in the world but they never could beat a Soviet team

This game stands out because the Garden was jammed because of the pregame ceremony. That was the night the Bruins retired Bobby Orr's number.

What we have experienced in the last 6 months is extraordinary. Very few of us thought this Bruins team would be a Top 3 in the Atlantic AND NOBODY thought they would have the best record in the NHL.

We also have to give Craig Berube a huge stick tap as he sold Sweeney and Neely on hiring Monty.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Many in Canada believe this was one of the greatest hockey games ever played

The Soviet team in that era was the gold standard and only faltered in one game at Lake Placid, NY in 1980.

The Bruins of that era were probably the third-best hockey team in the world but they never could beat a Soviet team

This game stands out because the Garden was jammed because of the pregame ceremony. That was the night the Bruins retired Bobby Orr's number.

What we have experienced in the last 6 months is extraordinary. Very few of us thought this Bruins team would be a Top 3 in the Atlantic AND NOBODY thought they would have the best record in the NHL.

We also have to give Craig Berube a huge stick tap as he sold Sweeney and Neely on hiring Monty.

I do not like Berube, but I suppose so.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Bah.......those two teams with 62 wins didn't even make the finals.

And you can't compare teams from the pre-2005 lockout era to teams that availed of the shoot-out and 3 on 3/4 on 4 OT. Apples to oranges.

The 1996 Detroit Red Wings lost to the Colorado Avalanche in the 3rd round. Is there a single Detroit fan who would consider that year a successful season? Probably not.

Anything less than a finals appearance is a disappointment.
To me, anything less than hoisting the Cup will be a disappointment..that might be asking for too much, but that's the way I feel after witnessing a very special season by a very special team

..and who knows, at my age it may be the last chance (and best chance) to see the Bruins win another Cup

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
2011 was the exception to the rule when it comes to being a Bruins fan.

Until Bettman hands Bergeron the Cup, I’ll be waiting for the punchline to a very cruel joke.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The 2011 Bruins won 62 games including 16 wins in the playoffs. 2023 is going to match if not top that in the regular season.
And it will mean nothing if they don’t win 16 in the playoffs sadly

He’s done a great job building this team. He should also be eternally grateful to Bergeron and Krejci

To me, anything less than hoisting the Cup will be a disappointment..that might be asking for too much, but that's the way I feel after witnessing a very special season by a very special team

..and who knows, at my age it may be the last chance (and best chance) to see the Bruins win another Cup
Agree. Win the cup. These are the years you need to bring it home. I guess we could hope for a 2019 run at some point, but they are in the drivers seat and have no equal

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
Possibly the greatest team of the modern era. I wonder in 20 years if we will look back at this roster and it will be as riddled with hall of fame players as that 95-96 Red Wings team.

Federov, Yzerman, Coffee, Lidstrom, Ciccarelli, Fetisov, Larionov, Bowman

I'm a bit surprised to see that Kozlov never got a call to the Hall of Fame. I suspect he eventually will be honored as such.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
You can only prove so much in the regular season.

They’ve already won the Presidents’ Trophy. Winning it by a 20 point margin doesn’t help them in any way once the playoffs start.

The 2007 undefeated Patriots lost the Super Bowl.
The 2016 Warriors won 73 games and lost the Finals.
The 2001 Mariners won 116 games and lost the LCS.

The major difference with the Warriors and Patriots is that their championship windows remained very much open.

Same with the ‘19 Lightning.

For a variety of reasons, this feels like the end for this Bruins team. The salary cap. The overage penalties for next season. Bergeron and Krejci’s ages.

They’ll still be good, but will they be elite?

And this team, fair or not, shoulders the underachievement for the Bergeron and Co. core and the missed opportunities in 09, 10, 12, 13, 14, and 19.

Look at what happened to them after they went belly up in ‘14; consecutive DNQs.

I can’t think of a team with more pressure on its shoulders since the 2003 and 2004 Red Sox.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad