LET EM PLAY , REFS!

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I've seen plenty of games where both feeds are complaining about the officiating. I've been watching the NHL for 30 years and the last 3-5 years have been noticeably and considerably worse than at any point prior to that.
I've been watching the NHL for 60 years, and I don't think it's any worse now. It might look worse because of the quality, frequency, and availability of replays.

What really is worse is the amount of complaining about it, largely because of the availability and anonymity of the internet.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
I've been watching the NHL for 60 years, and I don't think it's any worse now. It might look worse because of the quality, frequency, and availability of replays.

What really is worse is the amount of complaining about it, largely because of the availability and anonymity of the internet.

Hockey was maybe 40% as fast 60 years ago so it was a lot easier on the refs to make the correct calls. Refs now make a lot of inference calls, a guy going down with the puck? Must have been tripped

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Hockey was maybe 40% as fast 60 years ago so it was a lot easier on the refs to make the correct calls. Refs now make a lot of inference calls, a guy going down with the puck? Must have been tripped
You completely missed my point, and I'm not sure what yours is.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
You completely missed my point, and I'm not sure what yours is.

Your point was the whining is unwarranted, my point is it is warranted because the game is hard to call and there are a lot of mistakes

:teach:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Your point was the whining is unwarranted, my point is it is warranted because the game is hard to call and there are a lot of mistakes

:teach:
That wasn't my point at all.

One point was that there have always been mistakes, but they are easier to see now.

The other point was that we see more complaining because we see more commenting. Twenty years ago you could watch one or maybe two games in a night, and discuss them with ten friends live, or possibly find a chat room with thirty or forty members, most of whom were fans of the same team, and shared your opinion of the calls. Now you can watch four or five games a night, and then come here where there are thousands of posters representing all the teams.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
That wasn't my point at all.

One point was that there have always been mistakes, but they are easier to see now.

The other point was that we see more complaining because we see more commenting. Twenty years ago you could watch one or maybe two games in a night, and discuss them with ten friends live, or possibly find a chat room with thirty or forty members, most of whom were fans of the same team, and shared your opinion of the calls. Now you can watch four or five games a night, and then come here where there are thousands of posters representing all the teams.

Okay, well the games were still half as fast and easier to call.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
I've seen plenty of games where both feeds are complaining about the officiating. I've been watching the NHL for 30 years and the last 3-5 years have been noticeably and considerably worse than at any point prior to that.

The games are being called the best right now, than at any other time I have been watching hockey.

AINEC

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
Way too many soft calls. I'm constantly saying thats not worth calling, both ways. It ruins the game taking away the natural flow.

Durnberg

Feb 2, 2007
The only rule I don’t like is the one where whatever team is winning with a couple minutes left, gets a penalty.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
Yep, calling everything takes away from the game. 5 on 5 is pure hockey, Constant powerplays take away from that flow and really dull the game down

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Yep, calling everything takes away from the game. 5 on 5 is pure hockey, Constant powerplays take away from that flow and really dull the game down
Somewhat agree. What if Refs were limited to the number of penalties they could call in a game/period? Obvious exceptions for majors/game misconducts/auto-penalties like illegal stick and puck over glass.

Reactions: lottster14

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
Somewhat agree. What if Refs were limited to the number of penalties they could call in a game/period? Obvious exceptions for majors/game misconducts/auto-penalties like illegal stick and puck over glass.

Well, I thought I had heard everything.. and you drop this absolute gem.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Penalties serve the dual purpose of compensating for advantage gained from illegal methods and deterring future illegal play. The net result of holding a strict standard is better hockey and greater reward for actual, legal hockey as it is intended to be played.

If you want slashes on the hands etc. to be legal, change the rules and let it be part of the game.

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
Good discussion of the question I raised in response to that other guy's post. Care to actually add anything to the conversation?

Does it really require discussion? Oh the penalty quota has been met! Time to hack down everyone who skates by me!

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Does it really require discussion? Oh the penalty quota has been met! Time to hack down everyone who skates by me!
Unironically yes. Hockey was more or less like that for 25 years and was much more entertaining than today's product and in my original post I stated there'd be exceptions for majors - so anything excessive would still get called.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad