LET EM PLAY , REFS!

HockeyJunkie87

Jan 20, 2021

How annoyed has everyone been this season with the reffing? It feels to me as if its getting progressively worse all the time. I understand the need to make calls when they are blatantly obvious. High sticks, trips, puck over the glass, etc. But the amount of harmless penalties that are taken each and every night is beginning to get annoying.
Im not sure how many of you have watched the HABS/CANUCKS past two games, but these games were very fun to watch. However they would have been even more enjoyable, had the refs put their whistles away at times. There were some pretty silly calls on both sides.
Above is a half parody/half discussion video I made about the subject.
If anyone would like to chime in, and discuss, feel free to here or on the comment section.

Thanks, and I hope you enjoy!

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity

How annoyed has everyone been this season with the reffing? It feels to me as if its getting progressively worse all the time. I understand the need to make calls when they are blatantly obvious. High sticks, trips, puck over the glass, etc. But the amount of harmless penalties that are taken each and every night is beginning to get annoying.
Im not sure how many of you have watched the HABS/CANUCKS past two games, but these games were very fun to watch. However they would have been even more enjoyable, had the refs put their whistles away at times. There were some pretty silly calls on both sides.
If anyone would like to chime in, and discuss, feel free to here or on the comment section.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Reactions: njdevils1982

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Those 2 games were really bad, something needs to change. The players are rusty so maybe the refs are too lol

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

At one point it got absurd in the Habs/Nucks game. As a Habs fan, i was so sick of the refs taking over the game that a borderline call on the Nucks was screamworthy. Its like they were trying to take away the flow of the game.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

HockeyJunkie87

Jan 20, 2021
At one point it got absurd in the Habs/Nucks game. As a Habs fan, i was so sick of the refs taking over the game that a borderline call on the Nucks was screamworthy. Its like they were trying to take away the flow of the game.

YES! That exactly how I was,.. I was even getting mad when the Canucks were taking penalties as well!! It was super annoying, I thought the game was awesome when it was 5 on 5. It was fast, intense, and good hockey. But the penalties sure takes the wind out of the sails. Too many.. Just too many.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I think i'm becoming numb to the officiating. I used to be outraged, now I just shrug my shoulders and mutter "whatever".

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
The Canucks/Habs Games were reffed Brutally.

Game one favoured the Canucks a lot and I was tilting. Like there were atleast 3 missed calls against the Canucks and 1 call was made and I don't even think the call made was a penalty.

Game 2 was close to evenly called and then I was less mad cause everyone was getting terrible calls against them. But it was terrible both ways.

HockeyJunkie87

Jan 20, 2021
The Canucks/Habs Games were reffed Brutally.

Game one favoured the Canucks a lot and I was tilting. Like there were atleast 3 missed calls against the Canucks and 1 call was made and I don't even think the call made was a penalty.

Game 2 was close to evenly called and then I was less mad cause everyone was getting terrible calls against them. But it was terrible both ways.

I agree with that as well. Unfortunately tomorrow night I assume they have the same officials playing, due to the covid protocols. And with Myers not suspended. I literally expect to see 3-4 minutes of 5 on 5 hockey.... lol.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I agree with that as well. Unfortunately tomorrow night I assume they have the same officials playing, due to the covid protocols. And with Myers not suspended. I literally expect to see 3-4 minutes of 5 on 5 hockey.... lol.

Well atleast the Habs have a decent powerplay this year. After going 1/7 last night I think we are still top 5 or something clicking at above 30%.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
I said in the GDT that these games were pencil pusher hockey. It's not much fun when you can't play 2 minutes without either team taking a penalty. It completely kills the flow of the game.

Or as Ray Ferraro put it very eloquently during this year's WJC, "this is splitting the finest of hairs"

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I find with reffing people either bitch that the calls are soft, or that they need to call by the book plain and simple.

Oh and it’s always rigged for every other team but mine.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Refs are scraping games way too often when calling penality's only on one side or calling dumb calls when you have 2 minutes left in the games.
Sometimes i just stop whatching games when the Refs are playing stupid and it happens more and more often.
Something needs to change.
Stephane Quintal was on JIC show a couple years back when is was in charge of discipline , when asked about the bad reffering he said , it's part of the game having bad calls.
Thats answer what dumb as f***, they have no intend to get more justice on calls or maybe having outside refs in the stands to have a better view of the rink.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I dunno wats up wit hacky bote hauly shit do dey ayver troy n' roon da games
So farst aff dis doznt p'rtain ta aunly da haybs games.
I bit from da farst game you watched hockey, deres a huge difference in da way da games are bein cawed.
Da payrt dat bathers peopel is da difference in how da games are cawed between da reglar season and da playoffs

HockeyJunkie87

Jan 20, 2021
I dunno wats up wit hacky bote hauly shit do dey ayver troy n' roon da games
So farst aff dis doznt p'rtain ta aunly da haybs games.
I bit from da farst game you watched hockey, deres a huge difference in da way da games are bein cawed.
Da payrt dat bathers peopel is da difference in how da games are cawed between da reglar season and da playoffs

LOL thanks for the view .

Reactions: Kranix

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
its terrible and completely destroys the flow of the game. canucks have got a lot of PPs too but I cant stand when the refs try to be the center of attention

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Almost all the fans complain about too many calls against their team, and/or not enough against the other team.

Either the refs are ruining the flow, or they are letting it get out of hand.

The more games you watch between two teams that you don't care about, or watch your team but listen to the other team's feed, the more obvious this is.

Reactions: JustaFinnishGuy

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Almost all the fans complain about too many calls against their team, and/or not enough against the other team.

Either the refs are ruining the flow, or they are letting it get out of hand.

The more games you watch between two teams that you don't care about, or watch your team but listen to the other team's feed, the more obvious this is.
I've seen plenty of games where both feeds are complaining about the officiating. I've been watching the NHL for 30 years and the last 3-5 years have been noticeably and considerably worse than at any point prior to that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->