Let’s talk about: Wyatt Johnston

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
This is one of those where a large number of people didn't predict Johnston would be the winning lottery ticket in that draft, but a lot of people did believe there would be someone. It seems pretty likely that if he had a pre-draft season, he'd have gone near the top. It's not unusual for players especially in the younger half of their draft classes to rise a lot that season as their physical development catches up. He looked even more like a beanpole last year. Between the ears players don't always develop enough physically to become stars. But when they do, watch out.
Wyatt also having the riches of Benn/Seguin/Pavelski to teach him helps a ton. Johnston looks like a monster out there. I dont even think the best comparison is Barzal, but he skates like him and has a nastier shot.

Reactions: LT

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Just watched a quick replay of last nights game and man what a stud.

That puck jack, from Makar of all d-men, at the Avs goal line to get that shorty was incredible. His shot on the PP goal was amazing as well along with Robertsons’ pass to set him up.

Reactions: LT and Osakahaus

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Dallas' scouting is lights out and probably the best in the league. I have a feeling you will be making a Stankoven one of these next year @GermanSpitfire
Wyatt was one of the many OHL kids who didn't play in 20-21. 30 points as a rookie in the OHL. That's all you'd have to go on. He returns and pots 124 points after he gets drafted.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Wyatt was one of the many OHL kids who didn't play in 20-21. 30 points as a rookie in the OHL. That's all you'd have to go on. He returns and pots 124 points after he gets drafted.
COVID year is gonna be a great testament to how wacky scouting was from 2020-2021.

1715704016610.png

Lets just say, be glad that the 2nd round is looking more and more like a bountiful place for some teams

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Steal of the '21 Draft. I think there being no OHL season that year really threw some ranking into a loop. Who knows where he might have been taken had he played a full Junior season.

The other impact was the the OHL, for god knows what reason, refused to allow kids a waiver to play in the USHL that year. So they were just at home, training by themselves or whatever, and not playing anywhere for scouts to evaluate them.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Steal of the '21 Draft. I think there being no OHL season that year really threw some ranking into a loop. Who knows where he might have been taken had he played a full Junior season.

The other impact was the the OHL, for god knows what reason, refused to allow kids a waiver to play in the USHL that year. So they were just at home, training by themselves or whatever, and not playing anywhere for scouts to evaluate them.

A few guys went over to play in Europe . Francesco Arcuri the Stars 2021 5th round pick played in Austria that year.

A few other guys played in under the radar minor leagues. Justin Ertel ( Stars 3rd rounder ) played in the MJAHL.

Supposedly some guys also played under aliases in some leagues. During the post draft interview for the 2021 draft Stars head scout said that Grushnikov played under a different name in a Belarusian league and they somehow had footage from that

Reactions: WarriorofTime

LT

XXXX - XXXX - XX__ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Been thinking of historical comparables for Wyatt lately and the names I keep coming back to are Bergeron, Zetterberg, and possibly Nieuwendyk.

Crosby-lite is a great comparison too. There's nothing he can't do, even if his individual skills are not particularly awe-inspiring. His hockey sense is off the charts and his coaches trust him in any and every situation.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
A few guys went over to play in Europe . Francesco Arcuri the Stars 2021 5th round pick played in Austria that year.

A few other guys played in under the radar minor leagues. Justin Ertel ( Stars 3rd rounder ) played in the MJAHL.

Supposedly some guys also played under aliases in some leagues. During the post draft interview for the 2021 draft Stars head scout said that Grushnikov played under a different name in a Belarusian league and they somehow had footage from that
Would be interesting if someone really did a deep dive into it some day and made like a YouTube video or something on it.

It's Wyatt's birthday today. 🎉
Announcers only mentioned him turning 21 at midnight about 100 times last night, lol

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
His 200ft game is so impressive too. DeBoer pushed for him to make the lineup out of camp last season and plays him in all situations. He went through a slight sophomore slump partway through this season, then pushed through and has been Dallas' best player since the All-Star Break. It's not like he's a passenger on a stacked team, he's one of the best players on a stacked team, and only turns 21 in like... a week.
I went to the STH lunch preseason last year. When asked, Jim Nill said he had a less than 50% chance of sticking with the big club as an 19 year old. So, it had to be PBD pushing for him, as Nill sounded pretty against it.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
I went to the STH lunch preseason last year. When asked, Jim Nill said he had a less than 50% chance of sticking with the big club as an 19 year old. So, it had to be PBD pushing for him, as Nill sounded pretty against it.
For sure. In a recent post or pre game presser (can't remember which) PDB also said he sees him wearing a letter for the Stars in the future. He's his #1 fan haha

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The Oilers punted on drafting Wallstedt and traded the pick to Minnesota. With Minnesota's pick they chose Borgault over Johnston.

Yikes......
Paul Coffey was pushing for Johnston that year because he'd worked with him in the past but given the lack of scouting material in 2020 I guess it makes some sense that they didn't just take his word for it.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad