Post-Game Talk: Lessons learned

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
It is one game. Niemo has been good outside of this one game. He is on the bottom pairing. He has played 29 NHL games total... Some in this thread are grossly overreacting. I hope the coach doesn't do the same.

Keith made many... many of those mistakes all year long last year and many on this board had their tongue up his ass for his "intangibles" he brought despite that.

Holloway has made more and worse mistakes and seems to have a lot more forgiveness than what is being displayed in this thread.

Who knows how the defense will take shape as the season goes on but from my viewing Niem by far has the best chance of improving it from the choices available. We wont even know what we have in Niem until he gets 200+ games under his belt and he absolutely deserves a lot more chances to do so based on his overall play to date.

Niem isn't the sexy pick but he DESERVES a lot more opportunity based off his actual play rather than imaginary potential or just not being an NHL vet yet.
I actually like him overall. Do people remember Samurakov and how pathetic he looked his first game? Only 29 games and he nails people. I don't see him making multiple big mistakes a game. Barrie makes them too. That is how you learn and develop. You keep a leash on him, but let him learn. You better believe he will never just fade off towards the boards like that GWG again lol. If a dman is making mstakes causing direct goals every game, then you take him out.

Saying all of this, they still need a upgrade. 1 minimum. He can be pushed down to #7 and keep learning.

I kept saying it last night, we had to stop being so run and gun and cute in the third overall. Don't sit back, but be cautious a little. Just simple dump ins could have prevented the 1st and tying goal.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I hope the smart ones who thought Skinner can carry the whole load already have now gone quiet. Skinner will no doubt be the starter eventually. But right now, it’s good to have a decent veteran goalie like Campbell
Would be nice if he was actually you know… decent.

Reactions: alphahelix

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
It's juts funny how 90% of teams would wish to have our productive top 6 and 2 of the best players in the world.

I dream of having a productive third line and a decent 4th line lol. Seems impossible here in Edmonton. 4th line has been good for what they are though overall

Those guys cheap guys should be easier to find. Mcloed I love. Foegele I stopped crapping on, but once he has the puck, he doesn't know what to do. JP does not eve have close to the motor of the other two and looks lost. You give him the puck and he is a deer in the headlights.

Even Moneypuck does not show us having a 4th line with a min of 20 minutes played lol. 3rd in Corsi is the Drai line. Lots to do with Yammo just being pushed off of the puck for a turnover IMO.

Our 3rd line is tops for Corsi. Then McDavid's line. All 3 over 50%

Nurse - Ceci
Kulak-Bouchard

Both pairs average over 50%

barrie-Nemo 45.8%

All in all, not bad at all considering how crazy hard our schedule is. Interested to see it in another 2 weeks

Man that potential Kuzmenko signing would have been a homerun here. On Drai line

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke74 and Oilhawks

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I'm looking at the High danger scoring chances and we had 20 to 14 in our favor.
For me personally I feel this is a really indicative stat as to how the game went in general.
In general we produced a fairly significant more amount of high danger chances.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/game.php?season=20222023&game=20170

It kind of validates how I felt. We were the better team in the general parts of the game.
Now explaining the loss it comes down to, did the goalie make a good save? or did the player f*** up the opportunity. Hitting goalie in the crest is a save... but we give way too much credit for the save and not enough grief to the player butchering the opportunity. Last night the Oilers forwards were the chief reason they lost the game. Jersey was way.... way better at converting their chances.

Not sure how accurate that is in general though since that stat is completely out of whack for the chicago game as it gave us all of 1 high danger scoring chance. who knows maybe I'm misinterpreting it.

Games - Natural Stat Trick

I guess it all just means that Edmonton has some Alarmingly poor finishers on this team and we all kind of know who they are.

We all marvel and love a player that can make something out of nothing. But sometimes I feel we should be on guard or watch players that too often make nothing out of something.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Agreed. I think Bourgault can play on that 2nd line RW spot as early as next year.

This year though I'd try McLeod up there.
McLeod is playing very well driving the line he’s on I’d leave it alone and not fark it up. I wonder if they are biding time with Yams until Benson comes back to give him a solid look after the camp he had? I think he deserves to be given a try more than Yamo deserves to stay up there.

Reactions: Duke74

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
It's juts funny how 90% of teams would wish to have our productive top 6 and 2 of the best players in the world.

I dream of having a productive third line and a decent 4th line lol. Seems impossible here in Edmonton. 4th line has been good for what they are though overall

Those guys cheap guys should be easier to find. Mcloed I love. Foegele I stopped crapping on, but once he has the puck, he doesn't know what to do. JP does not eve have close to the motor of the other two and looks lost. You give him the puck and he is a deer in the headlights.

Even Moneypuck does not show us having a 4th line with a min of 20 minutes played lol. 3rd in Corsi is the Drai line. Lots to do with Yammo just being pushed off of the puck for a turnover IMO.

Nurse - Ceci
Kulak-Bouchard

barrie-Nemo 45.8%

All in all, not bad at all considering how crazy hard our schedule is. Interested to see it in another 2 weeks

Man that potential Kuzmenko signing would have been a homerun here. On Drai line

He’s only producing on their PP though, he wouldn’t get such plum minutes on the Oilers PP so that might be a big part of it. Either way, poor decision as he’d likely be getting better ES production and the PP time would come

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018

Nurse - Ceci
Kulak-Bouchard

barrie-Nemo 45.8%

I was thinking that, too. At first, I didn't think much of not landing him, but now his rejection of us really smarts when I imagine him in Yamamoto's spot. Stupid decision to take him to a dump like Joey's.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
I was thinking that, too. At first, I didn't think much of not landing him, but now his rejection of us really smarts when I imagine him in Yamamoto's spot. Stupid decision to take him to a dump like Joey's.

That’s such an overplayed meme. If the Oilers had a couple of his buddies signed to play here like the Cansucks do, that might have made an actual difference

Edit: I wouldn’t bring anyone to a chain though, Edmonton has so much more to offer

Reactions: Duke74

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I actually like him overall. Do people remember Samurakov and how pathetic he looked his first game? Only 29 games and he nails people. I don't see him making multiple big mistakes a game. Barrie makes them too. That is how you learn and develop. You keep a leash on him, but let him learn. You better believe he will never just fade off towards the boards like that GWG again lol. If a dman is making mstakes causing direct goals every game, then you take him out.

Saying all of this, they still need a upgrade. 1 minimum. He can be pushed down to #7 and keep learning.

I kept saying it last night, we had to stop being so run and gun and cute in the third overall. Don't sit back, but be cautious a little. Just simple dump ins could have prevented the 1st and tying goal.
At his age he needs NHL time to improve.

I agree our defense is weaker than ideal.

However rather than get someone in to push Niemo down, with how good he had played overall, you play him as much as you can to develop him and he hopefully becomes good enough to be a very solid #5/6 that eases Kulaks and Nurse minutes and responsibilities. Thus improving the overall defense by committee.

I dont have any disillusions that Niemo will develop into a top 4 defender that many/most nights it looks like we need but we need to improve our defense without raising our cap hit... The best way to do that is with internal development of a low cost stay at home defender... like Niemo.

He has 29 games under his belt and looks more good than bad at the NHL level, why not see what we have there first? We are in win now mode but should still have at least until the trade deadline to see if he can raise his game.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
I'm looking at the High danger scoring chances and we had 20 to 14 in our favor.
For me personally I feel this is a really indicative stat as to how the game went in general.
In general we produced a fairly significant more amount of high danger chances.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/game.php?season=20222023&game=20170

It kind of validates how I felt. We were the better team in the general parts of the game.
Now explaining the loss it comes down to, did the goalie make a good save? or did the player f*** up the opportunity. Hitting goalie in the crest is a save... but we give way too much credit for the save and not enough grief to the player butchering the opportunity. Last night the Oilers forwards were the chief reason they lost the game. Jersey was way.... way better at converting their chances.

Not sure how accurate that is in general though since that stat is completely out of whack for the chicago game as it gave us all of 1 high danger scoring chance. who knows maybe I'm misinterpreting it.

Games - Natural Stat Trick

I guess it all just means that Edmonton has some Alarmingly poor finishers on this team and we all kind of know who they are.

We all marvel and love a player that can make something out of nothing. But sometimes I feel we should be on guard or watch players that too often make nothing out of something.
I take the opposite tack, the Oilers will always put up scoring with their top 6, so they need to play better overall as a team without the puck.

It's easy to say the Oilers can outscore the mess at the back, but we all saw what happened in the Colorado series, there's a limit on what we can ultimately do until the defense corps is upgraded and the forwards become engaged in their zone and make smart plays rather than cheat for rush chances.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Taking NHL players to Joey is pretty lame, but so is picking the looming rebuild team vs a possible cup contender with the best player in the world. Buying a millionaire a 200 dollar steak shouldn't make up for how much losing he is about to put up with.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Taking NHL players to Joey is pretty lame, but so is picking the looming rebuild team vs a possible cup contender with the best player in the world. Buying a millionaire a 200 dollar steak shouldn't make up for how much losing he is about to put up with.

The funny thing is, he was probably convinced they’d be competitive

duck-hunt-dog.gif

Reactions: T-Funk

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I’m not sure if it’s still like this, but there was a time that Russians who came to North America were all about appearances, bling and garish clothing and living the high life. Think Federov when he first came to North America. If this is still a cultural thing for them (And I respect I’m generalizing here) then maybe it was a slight to him.

I personally dont think it’s a big deal but I’ve eaten at extremely foo foo dining rooms in locales like NYC and Vancouver and I’ve eaten at Joeys in Edmonton. If I was trying to land a deeply desired hire for my company, I wouldn’t go to Joeys. You may as well have called up @tardigrade81 and gone for a threesome at A &W) not that I dislike their burgers, in fact I like them, but not to land a prized FA).

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I’m not sure if it’s still like this, but there was a time that Russians who came to North America were all about appearances, bling and garish clothing and living the high life. Think Federov when he first came to North America. If this is still a cultural thing for them (And I respect I’m generalizing here) then maybe it was a slight to him.

I personally dont think it’s a big deal but I’ve eaten at extremely foo foo dining rooms in locales like NYC and Vancouver and I’ve eaten at Joeys in Edmonton. If I was trying to land a deeply desired hire for my company, I wouldn’t go to Joeys. You may as well have called up @tardigrade81 and gone for a threesome at A &W) not that I dislike their burgers, in fact I like them, but not to land a prized FA).
Why you heff to be mad. just hockey. ;)

joking aside the genius Cal Nichols took Pronger and his wife to Century Grill on Calgary Trail. Wow living the high life. She couldn't wait to get out of dodge after that. probably took them to tiretown to sign some papers too. Cal probably wore his best "who's wearing the boots" and cowboy shirt. Some will get that.

Reactions: brentashton

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Why you heff to be mad. just hockey. ;)

joking aside the genius Cal Nichols took Pronger and his wife to Century Grill on Calgary Trail. Wow living the high life. She couldn't wait to get out of dodge after that. probably took them to tiretown to sign some papers too. Cal probably wore his best "who's wearing the boots" and cowboy shirt. Some will get that.
You can take Cal Nichols out of Paradise Hill, Saskatchewan but you can’t take P Hill out of Cal Nichols!

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
That whole town sounds fictitious.

i gots pictures. I keep looking for the hill.

They just call it that to sell some flat real estate?

Estevan Mountain estates. Like better than Canmore. I can do this..
There a hill, it’s also close to Hillmond as the crow flies, home of Wade (and Gord, Bart and Nikki) Redden. A good family.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Anyone blaming goaltending is out to lunch.

I was seated right behind Skinner that game. He made some Grade A stops. Of the ones he let in,

- the first was a one timer in the slot. Nothing Skinner can do about it and mostly the fault of Holloway for turning it over in neutral zone

- second goal was a quick snipe through multiple bodies off the face off. That’s on the skaters for not properly covering the shooting line

- third goal looked like a weak one until you realize it deflected en route and the guy was falling while taking the shot which definitely changed the angle the puck was headed in

- fourth goal was a breakaway snipe

Again, Skinner made some amazing stops and was ~4 mins away from a 2 GA, .930+ save % game.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
So Neimo f***ed up that read at the end of the game and it cost the team the game.

He's not a failure, I don't hate him, and he's not solely responsible for all of it.

I like Neimo, I think him as part of the depth chart helps the team overall, sincerely, but his spot needs an upgrade, because the Oilers aren't develop a team to contend, they are trying to be a contender.

It's one game in November? Fine, when it's one game in March, or April or June? When does it matter.

Edit: Sorry, Gregor's sycophants are driving me crazy on twitter, because they're doing that same stupid BS he does, where he ignores contexts and reality for his quip.
Woodcroft is more to blame than niemalainen, he shouldn’t of even been out there

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Woodcroft is more to blame than niemalainen, he shouldn’t of even been out there

Maybe he's just trying to figure out how he responds in that situation. A loss this early in the season doesn't mean much for this team; perfect time to experiment.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan

Someone treating me to A and W??????

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Need to play the entire 60 minutes. Oilers were content to coast through the third period. I still thought they played reasonably well in their own end aside from the tying goal. I’ll put the loss on the forwards who weren’t showing much intensity in the offensive zone after they took a 3-1 lead.

Good game though and fun to watch. The Devils look like a good team. Their speed gives team fits. I don’t understand why every “which coach gets fired first” list I’ve seen has Lindy Ruff at or near the top.
Good post! (The first good analysis of this thread, btw.)

I agree, this was a game where the Oil decided to coast through the third period, and that's why they lost. The Oilers have been very good in third periods thus far this season, but they evidently didn't learn that it's not a given that they'll come up trumps in that period. After the 3-2 goal went in, it was like the Oilers felt, "Oh well, we're destined to win anyway since it's late in the third, so this is no big deal and... Wait, they scored again?"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad