Post-Game Talk: Lessons learned

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
No argument. There might be something to him being hurt. If that's the case, he should be placed on LTI and we should be seeing a call up or two.

It's a bit early to be making a big trade though. Not much of a player market.
Agreed
I wrote in an earlier post I hope St Louis continues to lose and around deadline they might think about trading Parayko. Local boy, good dman. I'd be willing to give up a 1st, Yamamoto , and probably something else (not to rich)

OILFAN FOREVER

Feb 26, 2021
Interested to see what Jay does in net tomorrow? Go back to Skinner and try and let him make up for letting in those goals at the end (4th one wasn't his fault but the 3rd one was), or put in Campbell?

If it was me, I'd start each of them twice in the upcoming 4 game road trip. As far as tomorrow's game goes I'd put in Campbell.

Dallas - Campbell

Washington - Skinner

Tampa Bay - Campbell

Carolina - Campbell

Florida - Skinner

Obviously this would change based on how they play in the next game, etc.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Foegele is working hard in all zones. Nothing much going but the work rate is there. In fairness to him we didn't squander a first round pick for him and frankly we didn't give up too much. Bear was going to be pushed out of the lineup with respect to our roster depth. For all his warts last night still prefer even Nemo. Of course I prefer Bouchard.
I'm dreaming we somehow get Parayko. Everyone has there dreams. I'm dreaming him but more logical target could be Savard or Edmundson

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
Not Oilers news, but anyone else see the Boston Bruins signing Mitchell Miller.

What a brutal signing that is. Aside from him doing some pretty disgusting things, why would you want that type of distraction if you're rolling like the Bruins are

• Wow
Reactions: glenwo2

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
I've reached the end of my rope with Yamamoto on the second line. Losing the puck, getting rubbed out on the boards, flubbing golden opportunities...he's literally killing all of the offence that line generates with the exception of maybe two plays all year.

I'm ready to try literally anyone in that spot: Holloway, Ryan, Shore, Puljujarvi, McLeod, maybe even give stone-hands Foegele a try. Hopefully the silver lining in this loss is that Woody makes a few lineup tinkers, most notably to 2RW.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
The Devils are going to be so fcking scary with Hughes and Nemec on that backend with the talent they have upfront.

I think I've reached the end of my rope with Yamamoto on the second line. Losing the puck, getting rubbed out on the boards, flubbing golden opportunities...he's literally killing all of the offence that line generates with the exception of maybe two plays all year.

I'm ready to try literally anyone in that spot: Holloway, Ryan, Shore, Puljujarvi, McLeod, maybe even give stone-hands Foegele a try. Hopefully the silver lining in this loss is that Woody makes a few lineup tinkers, most notably to 2RW.
I've liked the 3rd line with Foegele-McLeod-Pulju so preferably they stay the same. Not against moving Yams down to the 4th and giving Holloway a shot.

Reactions: Duke74

OILFAN FOREVER

Feb 26, 2021
I think I've reached the end of my rope with Yamamoto on the second line. Losing the puck, getting rubbed out on the boards, flubbing golden opportunities...he's literally killing all of the offence that line generates with the exception of maybe two plays all year.

Agreed. I think Bourgault can play on that 2nd line RW spot as early as next year.

This year though I'd try McLeod up there.

Reactions: Oilhawks and Duke74

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Why keep Holloway on the roster if you're going to play him ~5 mins a game, just nonsensical.
That baffles me too. I thought Holland clearly stated the plan was for Holloway to play in the top 9 and get decent ice time or go back to Bakersfield? Seems that Woody sees things differently.

Agreed. I think Bourgault can play on that 2nd line RW spot as early as next year.

This year though I'd try McLeod up there.
That's a good idea, and the underused Holloway can slide to 3C. I also forgot about the possibility of Bakersfield call-ups, all of whom I'd rather have at 2RW than Yamamoto.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
A day later observations on the game. Generally Oilers played well. The few glaring miscues all ended up in the back of our net. Holloway turnover, McLeod turnover. We were punished for both. Two faceoff losses that result in instant goals. Hard to do much about the point shot going in. Those happen. But the winning goal can't happen. Off a faceoff your set shouldn't be susceptible to allowing that easy a breakaway. That wasn't even a hard stretch pass. He had a clear 10ft alley to make that pass. No Oilers even thought enough to be in the passing lane. Kane pressures but not in the right spot, and not doing anything to interfere with the pass up middle. Drai lost faceoff and had no awareness of the play about to happen. He simply wasn't responding to it. These are the two players that could have prevented that straight up pass. Neither were looking for it to occur. For Jersey that has every look of being a set play so it wasn't even scouted.

Jersey had that play in their pocket and pulled it. But its why you look at video of what the other team does and prepare for it. Coaching 101. Many questions also raised about why you would send Barrie/nemo pair out immediately after a tying GA in that late game moment. We have last change. NJ put their top players out there. A vet coach vs a rookie coach. While we were getting tons of chances we weren't getting them on simple set pieces and devils had decent stick passing lane coverage. A well coached squad it would seem.

That aside when the Oilers were hitting they were gaining pucks and causing turnovers. We failed to use our physical domination enough to control the game more. Credit, again, to Jersey for making the plays. I can see people seeing them as an entertaining squad. Oilers likely get them next time. Won't have to wait long.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Interested to see what Jay does in net tomorrow? Go back to Skinner and try and let him make up for letting in those goals at the end (4th one wasn't his fault but the 3rd one was), or put in Campbell?

If it was me, I'd start each of them twice in the upcoming 4 game road trip. As far as tomorrow's game goes I'd put in Campbell.

Dallas - Campbell

Washington - Skinner

Tampa Bay - Campbell

Carolina - Campbell

Florida - Skinner

Obviously this would change based on how they play in the next game, etc.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Losing a game like this after a strong run isn’t the worst thing. They generally played well but in the end a few glaring mistakes wasted a good start from their goaltender and a few glaring mistakes cost them 2 points they had in the bag.

Definitely the kind of loss that stings and I’m betting they refocus and look really good against the Stars on Saturday.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Losing a game like this after a strong run isn’t the worst thing. They generally played well but in the end a few glaring mistakes wasted a good start from their goaltender and a few glaring mistakes cost them 2 points they had in the bag.

Definitely the kind of loss that stings and I’m betting they refocus and look really good against the Stars on Saturday.
Definitely a couple glaring errors lost this one, but the Oilers hopefully realize they can't squander 2 on 1s over and over. A little more killer instinct and those screw-ups dont lose the game.

Reactions: Duke74

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think the Oilers looked in the mirror and thought they were playing themselves. Easily the fastest team we've faced so far. No wonder Jersey is ranked near the top in 5X5 play, Lindy has them putting pressure all over the ice. First game I think we were outgoaltended this year, although Stew played a good game, but you can't let that crapper 3rd goal in if you want to be amoung the best.

Most of the guys on the team brought it, but a few passengers. Bouch was in one of his comatose type games.

Jersey outplayed us 5 on 5 and territorial play for a good chunk of the game, but we had the better grade A chances. Oilers get an F grade for finish. Should have locked this one away before the second period ended.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I mean, at least you can expect Foegele to be inconsistent as he is what he is. McLeod is fine, would probably produce more if his wingers could score once a millennium. JP is playing his way off the team as a cap relief move.

I’m no capologist, can they waive Foegele and bring up Janmark? If so, they should consider it.

This whole 60 minute thing is a myth.

Happens maybe once or twice a season.

There’s another NHL club lining up against you, there’s momentum changes.

No, they can’t as janmark makes more than the buried amount

McLeod would probably produce more if he had more than 8 shots this season.

I am no capologist either but it is my understanding that yes they can demote Foegele and bring up Janmark. At least that was one of the options at the beginning of the year so I dont know why that would change now. They both have the exact same cap saving when demoted and Foegele makes more actually so...

Last night is the perfect example of how you just cant let your third line be almost completely unproductive and hope for the best.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I hope the smart ones who thought Skinner can carry the whole load already have now gone quiet. Skinner will no doubt be the starter eventually. But right now, it’s good to have a decent veteran goalie like Campbell

Reactions: Oilhawks

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
So Neimo f***ed up that read at the end of the game and it cost the team the game.

He's not a failure, I don't hate him, and he's not solely responsible for all of it.

I like Neimo, I think him as part of the depth chart helps the team overall, sincerely, but his spot needs an upgrade, because the Oilers aren't develop a team to contend, they are trying to be a contender.

It's one game in November? Fine, when it's one game in March, or April or June? When does it matter.

Edit: Sorry, Gregor's sycophants are driving me crazy on twitter, because they're doing that same stupid BS he does, where he ignores contexts and reality for his quip.

It is one game. Niemo has been good outside of this one game. He is on the bottom pairing. He has played 29 NHL games total... Some in this thread are grossly overreacting. I hope the coach doesn't do the same.

Keith made many... many of those mistakes all year long last year and many on this board had their tongue up his ass for his "intangibles" he brought despite that.

Holloway has made more and worse mistakes and seems to have a lot more forgiveness than what is being displayed in this thread.

Who knows how the defense will take shape as the season goes on but from my viewing Niem by far has the best chance of improving it from the choices available. We wont even know what we have in Niem until he gets 200+ games under his belt and he absolutely deserves a lot more chances to do so based on his overall play to date.

Niem isn't the sexy pick but he DESERVES a lot more opportunity based off his actual play rather than imaginary potential or just not being an NHL vet yet.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I am no capologist either but it is my understanding that yes they can demote Foegele and bring up Janmark. At least that was one of the options at the beginning of the year so I dont know why that would change now. They both have the exact same cap saving when demoted and Foegele makes more actually so...

Last night is the perfect example of how you just cant let your third line be almost completely unproductive and hope for the best.
You’re correct, they couldn’t demote someone that makes less than the cap savings.

I got that mixed up

It is one game. Niemo has been good outside of this one game. He is on the bottom pairing. He has played 29 NHL games total... Some in this thread are grossly overreacting. I hope the coach doesn't do the same.

Keith made many... many of those mistakes all year long last year and many on this board had their tongue up his ass for his "intangibles" he brought despite that.

Holloway has made more and worse mistakes and seems to have a lot more forgiveness than what is being displayed in this thread.

Who knows how the defense will take shape as the season goes on but from my viewing Niem by far has the best chance of improving it from the choices available. We wont even know what we have in Niem until he gets 200+ games under his belt and he absolutely deserves a lot more chances to do so based on his overall play to date.

Niem isn't the sexy pick but he DESERVES a lot more opportunity based off his actual play rather than imaginary potential or just not being an NHL vet yet.
Holloway has a lot of forgiveness?

During the GDT half the posts after his giveaway were that he needs to go to the AHL

Reactions: Oilhawks

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
You’re correct, they couldn’t demote someone that makes less than the cap savings.

I got that mixed up

Holloway has a lot of forgiveness?

During the GDT half the posts after his giveaway were that he needs to go to the AHL

I saw a lot of learning/teaching moments to work through comments for Holloway and not so many for Niems. Just might be what Ive viewed but it certainly seems that way.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Agreed, can't base it on one play. He's arguably getting better as he adapts to the pace and the game will eventually slow down for him. And the key is that he brings something to the defence that we don't have much of. Funny, Holloway makes a primary boob leading to the first Jersey goal, but still some people on him want him promoted to one of the top 2 lines. This place is weird.

Reactions: Aerchon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad