Post-Game Talk: Lessons learned

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Honestly the Oilers probably should have money-pucked a free agent this summer and gone with someone like Sprong for league minimum who has decent hands (1.17 goals/60 rate at 5v5 over the past 3 seasons... which is one of the highest rates in the NHL.)

I'm sure he has issues in parts of his game but at least he would likely have been able to snipe the puck when set up on a plate by McDrai which so many on this team can't seem to do.

Reactions: Duke74

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I don't recall the name, Silverdome. Because of all the hoar frost? LOL!
The old arena in Hillmond was a grey Quonset/corrugated metal style building, hence the name. yes, lots of frost, coldest building in the area although Dewberry was close. I also played a lot of mens hockey in Hillmond. Great little bar across the street back in the late 1980s.

Reactions: Laodongxi

Laodongxi

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
The old arena in Hillmond was a grey Quonset/corrugated metal style building, hence the name. yes, lots of frost, coldest building in the area although Dewberry was close. I also played a lot of mens hockey in Hillmond. Great little bar across the street back in the late 1980s.
I played in Hillmond as a kid. Dewberry too. I think I may have played a fun game in Hillmond with the River Rats (Lloyd Industrial League) against a team of really young guys who sometimes forgot that it was non-contact. Don't remember that bar but I do remember the "infamous" Paradise Hill one.

Reactions: brentashton

Laodongxi

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I remember a lot of the guys I played with on the River Rats were from the Hillmond/Paradise Hill area and had played junior or university and some pretty good senior hockey as well. The level of senior hockey in some of those small towns was (and probably still is) impressive. Growing up watching the Lloydminster Border Kings seemed like watching an NHL team way back in the day. Will never forget that. We used to sit behind the opposing bench and shoot "spitballs" at the players.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I remember a lot of the guys I played with on the River Rats were from the Hillmond/Paradise Hill area and had played junior or university and some pretty good senior hockey as well. The level of senior hockey in some of those small towns was (and probably still is) impressive. Growing up watching the Lloydminster Border Kings seemed like watching an NHL team way back in the day. Will never forget that. We used to sit behind the opposing bench and shoot "spitballs" at the players.
Yep, senior hockey was always about men thinking and playing and smart positioning versus youth and energy and running around in junior levels. Border Kings won the Allan Cup 2x and played in the tournament 4x in those early 2000 years if I remember right. Allan Cup is the oldest competed for hockey trophy in Canada, older than Stanley even. Pretty cool tournament to be a part of. I still remember Theo Fleury playing in it in 2005 in Lloydminster. He was in a bad spot in his life though, before all the stuff came out about his earlier years. He did a few things that were Probably not his proudest moments at that tournament. Oh well, glad he’s been able to find resolution in his recent years.

Reactions: Laodongxi

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
It's juts funny how 90% of teams would wish to have our productive top 6 and 2 of the best players in the world.

I dream of having a productive third line and a decent 4th line lol. Seems impossible here in Edmonton. 4th line has been good for what they are though overall

Those guys cheap guys should be easier to find. Mcloed I love. Foegele I stopped crapping on, but once he has the puck, he doesn't know what to do. JP does not eve have close to the motor of the other two and looks lost. You give him the puck and he is a deer in the headlights.

Even Moneypuck does not show us having a 4th line with a min of 20 minutes played lol. 3rd in Corsi is the Drai line. Lots to do with Yammo just being pushed off of the puck for a turnover IMO.

Our 3rd line is tops for Corsi. Then McDavid's line. All 3 over 50%

Nurse - Ceci
Kulak-Bouchard

Both pairs average over 50%

barrie-Nemo 45.8%

All in all, not bad at all considering how crazy hard our schedule is. Interested to see it in another 2 weeks

Man that potential Kuzmenko signing would have been a homerun here. On Drai line
JP is second on the team for forwards in hits and that’s with only 12 minutes per game. If you watch the game he’s easily one of the teams most effective forecheckers and is almost never out of position. Question his hands for sure, but his motor and positioning is very good.

Laodongxi

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Yep, senior hockey was always about men thinking and playing and smart positioning versus youth and energy and running around in junior levels. Border Kings won the Allan Cup 2x and played in the tournament 4x in those early 2000 years if I remember right. Allan Cup is the oldest competed for hockey trophy in Canada, older than Stanley even. Pretty cool tournament to be a part of. I still remember Theo Fleury playing in it in 2005 in Lloydminster. He was in a bad spot in his life though, before all the stuff came out about his earlier years. He did a few things that were Probably not his proudest moments at that tournament. Oh well, glad he’s been able to find resolution in his recent years.
I do remember Theo making some headlines and doing some bragging that he probably regretted.

The Border Kings made some serious long runs for the Allen Cup in the late 60's, early 70's. I was in junior high. It's hard to find any info on it now. They lost in the finals one year out in the Maritimes. I would listen in bed to all the games announced live on CKSA radio. The Allen Cup is no joke, that's for sure. There were lots of ex-Nhlers and guys that missed for one reason or another and some of the gooniest of goons. Some real characters. Just incredibly entertaining hockey. Wish there was a documentary of that era! It was magical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad