Les Canadiennes de Montréal Thread

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
And they make it count! 3-2!

Hilary Knight with a beauty of a backhand pass from between her legs to Ann-Sophie Bettez, who scores her second of the game.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Very big news here. The CWHL will cease operations. They say that while the hockey on the ice was high caliber and helped the growth of women's hockey, the business model was unsustainable.

Here's hoping that the CWHL teams join the NWHL and we will finally have one league for women's hockey.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Very big news here. The CWHL will cease operations. They say that while the hockey on the ice was high caliber and helped the growth of women's hockey, the business model was unsustainable.

Here's hoping that the CWHL teams join the NWHL and we will finally have one league for women's hockey.

There's been a lot of talk about merging the 2 leagues. It makes total sense, especially if the NHL provides support and endorsement.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
There's been a lot of talk about merging the 2 leagues. It makes total sense, especially if the NHL provides support and endorsement.

As Jared Book mentioned, the NHL wants to help the women's league out. But they wanted them to merge into one. Gary Bettman said it numerous times when asked about it. Everybody wanted that. It seems to be a lot more complicated to pull off than my little mind can comprehend. Although this news sucks, it may be better in the long run.

The thing about the CWHL teams, they were affiliated with NHL teams, as well. Les Canadiennes was partnered with the Habs. The Toronto Furies with the Leafs, and the Calgary Infero with the Flames. I really hope those teams (with other CWHL teams) merge with the NWHL because having NHL organizations back them can only help. And then you add the support of the NHL as a whole and it all should progress and grow even more.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

yeah , in the press release there was this ,sounds to me it is goona take some much deeper pocketed owners who are willing to lose money , and try to market it ....These gals was already playing for chump change money '(ultra low salary $2000 to 10.000 a year max)....and that wasn't enough to keep it afloat...

"Unfortunately, while the on-ice hockey is exceptional, the business model has proven to be economically unsustainable," the league said in a statement.

Last edited:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Pooling the resources makes the most sense viability wise so I really hope they do merge the 2 leagues now. Still, it makes me a bit sad (especially as the father of a teenage daughter) to see how far female sports still has to go to be truly recognized. Feels like things haven't evolved much since the 80s/90s and that ( among many other real life things) makes me kinda depressed when I'm telling my little girl that she can be anything she wants to be in life and in my heart I know I'm sorta lying to her you know ? Anyway, sorry for the sudden emotional outburst.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Pooling the resources makes the most sense viability wise so I really hope they do merge the 2 leagues now. Still, it makes me a bit sad (especially as the father of a teenage daughter) to see how far female sports still has to go to be truly recognized. Feels like things haven't evolved much since the 80s/90s and that ( among many other real life things) makes me kinda depressed when I'm telling my little girl that she can be anything she wants to be in life and in my heart I know I'm sorta lying to her you know ? Anyway, sorry for the sudden emotional outburst.

I know what you mean. My daughter is 5 so I'm far from having a teenage daughter. But I already try to make her understand that girls can do anything the boys can do. In fact, one reason I watch women's sports is to make her understand that it's not just the boys that play hockey or soccer or anything else. Girls can do it at a high level, too.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
So I read the Athletic article. It mentions how the NWHL is looking at bringing in two Canadian teams, one being from Montreal, and the other from Toronto (either the Toronto Furies or Markham Thunder).

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
It's only logical that they'd get involved, they should have a long time ago.

According to Zadarnowski, they've tried the last three years.

Bettman has said that they want to help women's hockey grow. But with there being two leagues, they didn't want to pick favorites. So they wanted the CWHL and NWHL to agree to make it into one league. Now that there is only one league left, they may be able to step in and help.

Or as the trademark suggests, they want to start a new league, similar to how the NBA started the WNBA.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I know what you mean. My daughter is 5 so I'm far from having a teenage daughter. But I already try to make her understand that girls can do anything the boys can do. In fact, one reason I watch women's sports is to make her understand that it's not just the boys that play hockey or soccer or anything else. Girls can do it at a high level, too.

Maybe one day in our lifetime, women will be good enough and strong enough to play in the NHL and make NHL money. It's a shame that they can't make the money that men make in the NHL. A lot of that has to do with history and culture and the sport of hockey in terms of Women playing competitively has only started to pick up popularity in recent years. Takes time

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
According to Zadarnowski, they've tried the last three years.

Bettman has said that they want to help women's hockey grow. But with there being two leagues, they didn't want to pick favorites. So they wanted the CWHL and NWHL to agree to make it into one league. Now that there is only one league left, they may be able to step in and help.

Or as the trademark suggests, they want to start a new league, similar to how the NBA started the WNBA.

I am not well averse in the differences between the NWHL and CWHL but from my understanding for women's hockey to grow long term a entirely new league backed by the NHL needs to be created for the sport. This new league can incorporate the best practices of both leagues with additional structural setup and administrative work provided by the NHL. It is also symbolically important I feel to have a fresh league with no existing history. Having some CWHL teams absorbed into the NWHL is no doubt big in the short run but in the long run I think a new league backed by the NHL is the logical next step.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad