Leonsis "Calls Ovechkin Out"

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
* When has anyone going through a slump not "needed to play better"?

* Other than Hunter's brief tenure, when has this organization ever had an answer aside from "play better or "work harder"? Guess what, there's 29 other teams striving to "play better" and "work harder". That alone won't come close to cutting it.

All this does is put the spotlight squarely on Ovi and not the fact that we have a frankenteam assembled by a blind 5 year old. Which is probably exactly what Leonsis was trying to do here.

That's a fair assessment... and perhaps AO feels that it's a bit unfair to place most of our failures on him.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
ok....fine

I just think that changing things within our grasp makes more sense laying it all on something we have NO evidence of... like PEDS.

Certainly, he could get rid of that gut.

Liberati0n*

I don't know if Leonsis has ever claimed to have any hockey acumen. I'd imagine not many owners do. Ripping on him for that makes no sense to me.

Calling him a piece of human garbage reveals just how little rational thinking goes on sometimes.

His status as human trash has nothing to do with this. Like I said after that, I didn't even know what he had said. This is obviously a non-story, but Ted is indisputably a piece of garbage. He's a legitimately stupid, smug, hack businessman who lucked and schemed his way into some money. He's a loser.

ted_leonsis_the_business_of_happiness.png

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
I just think that changing things within our grasp makes more sense laying it all on something we have NO evidence of... like PEDS.

OH... and I meant AO, not Ted. :)

Halpysback*

That's a fair assessment... and perhaps AO feels that it's a bit unfair to place most of our failures on him.

Since the end of the 2007-2008 regular season the failures have always been on him. Even after the Pens series it was Crosby > Ovy as captain. After the Montreal series it was Ovy got his team to choke. Vancouver, pretty much the entire collapse of the Russian team was put on him.

I think Ovechkin sees a team not built to compete, with his friends all gone, and knows that the failure will be on him when they inevitably fail no matter how good he plays. McPhee is basically setting him up to be the scapegoat, intentionally or not. That probably doesn't do wonders for his drive. Would it for anybody's?

If he aces the regular season no one cares anymore, and the way the team is built it's getting harder and harder to do so. In the playoffs he still brings everything since that's a mountain he hasn't been able to climb yet and the the heat of the moment is there. Then when we fail it's inevitably on him. If we want him to claw back in the regular season we need to put together a team that can win without him, contradictory as that may sound.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
My only problem with Teds comments they are to soft. I'd like to see him well and truly call OV out. Put him on notice. Don't ***** foot around it. Tell the guy to remove whatever he has had lodged up his ass the last 2 seasons so OV can get back to the physically dominate presence that made him.

Halpysback*

My only problem with Teds comments they are to soft. I'd like to see him well and truly call OV out. Put him on notice. Don't ***** foot around it. Tell the guy to remove whatever he has had lodged up his ass the last 2 seasons so OV can get back to the physically dominate presence that made him.

I too agree that we should all be super aggressive and self righteous about everything because that totally gets results.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I'm with you Randy. The NHL game has never been more boring. The playoffs in particular where everyone plays that boring, get me a 1 goal lead off any junk shot or deflection you can get and then go into defensive lockdown.

I still remember an interview with Knuble after the Ovy/Campbell suspension where Knuble said he told Ovy to hold back. I thought back then that it was the worst possible advice I could have expected from a Vet like Knuble. I think Ovy took it to heart and no longer gives a damn about the regular season. Unfortunately it's near impossible to flip a switch and start giving a damn come playoff time.

On the surface there seems to be something dysfunction/unhealthy about Ovy's mental state (in relation to the game). He needs some help and you have to wonder if the Caps are trying to get him some. A sport psychologist can do wonders sometimes.

I agree with the NHL becoming boring. I grew up in the 80s and the talent/skill wasn't like it is now, but there was at least heart. I guess I'm older and don't have the zeal like I used to with the NHL. Just seems like something is missing. I don't know if it is the lockouts, Bettman, GMGM, Ted, or what, but something is missing.

As for Ovy, I'm not giving up on him just yet. I don't believe a player loses skill and my guess is he is lovesick. That is no excuse, but my speculation. If there is one player who could switch it up from regular to playoffs, I believe it would be a hungry Ovechkin.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Don't you fire the first warning shot across the bow? Coming out too hard to the press, especially with a player who seems mentally fragile is putting the relationship at risk.

What was soft was the "I don't know, I don't run hockey operations" comment. As if he doesn't have a handle on the biggest issue with his franchise....

Vladiator16*

I too agree that we should all be super aggressive and self righteous about everything because that totally gets results.

Well, its not like other things have worked.

I do agree with you on not enough scoring threats on this team... When we had second line scorer we needed true second line center, now we have legitimate second line center, but nobody to finish...

...life as Caps fan :banghead:

SlappaDaBass

May 7, 2012
Well, its not like other things have worked.

I do agree with you on not enough scoring threats on this team... When we had second line scorer we needed true second line center, now we have legitimate second line center, but nobody to finish...

...life as Caps fan :banghead:

Ward has been doing his fair share but I'm hoping that person will be Brooksie when he gets back.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

Sorry, despite OVs obvious physical gifts as a hockey player I don't think anyone holds the guy accountable as the highest payed player on the team and the guy with the C on his chest. In times when the team struggles OV should be the hardest working player on the ice, every shift, leading by example on how to work out whatever funk the team is in at the time. But I haven't seen that from OV since his last suspension. It's like he has been pouting all this time.

Some have said he needs this or he needs that to help him. BS. He needs to play up to his established potential. If he does that he not only lifts the play of the guys on his line, but lifts the entire team to another level of competition. Dare say a Cup level of competition.

But no, he should be treated with kid gloves for fear his feeling will be hurt. **** that. The Caps play like their C. Tuesday was a prime example. 2 periods of good hockey followed by 1 period of OV like coasting and a loss. As I said in that game thread, I don't think the Caps have ever played 3 solid periods of hockey with OV on the team. That is not an accident, IMO.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
What was soft was the "I don't know, I don't run hockey operations" comment. As if he doesn't have a handle on the biggest issue with his franchise....

If McPhee wasn't worried before that comment, he oughta be now.

I also found that remark to be a pretty unsavory dodge. If the team was 5-0-1, does anyone doubt that TL would have said something like: "Well, we've had a plan and a philosophy for several years, and we're just executing on the direction that I established with our operations people." But at 1-4-1 he says, in effect, "Don't look at me. . ."

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
Ted's words should have been more harsh. Those statements are nothing. Our captain doesn't give a f@#$.

I love the notion that he's loafing until the playoffs since, you know, because of his loafing we won't be making the playoffs.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I agree with the NHL becoming boring. I grew up in the 80s and the talent/skill wasn't like it is now, but there was at least heart. I guess I'm older and don't have the zeal like I used to with the NHL. Just seems like something is missing. I don't know if it is the lockouts, Bettman, GMGM, Ted, or what, but something is missing.

There is no passion, no emotion in the game. Its largely just whistle free skating up and down the ice. If someone hits anyone, its reviewed by Shanahan. Why risk it.

Heaven forbid you have to take a piss as a fan, you are lucky to make it to your seat before the end of the period. They can barely get commercials in, killing their own revenue. Watching skating bores me.

I think its founded in the attempts to change the game. Mario led I have alleged, as this is the game he always *****ed about wanting as a player. And now as an owner gifted a team by a bankrupt franchise, he now had clout.

The league also catered to the 10 people that would call NY after seeing there was a bench brawl on the news, or saw Tie Domi drag a flyers fan into the box. I do not believe the league polled its true fans about what they liked and didn't.

Ironically, as they "cleaned up" the game, MMA rose out of no where.

The rule changes stifle anything but an up and down skating game. Only problem is, defenses can still largely control offenses, so the times to cheer are far and few between now.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I wonder...If I had the Ovechkin nameplate on the back of one of my jersey's replaced with one that says "WhatHappened" or "DoIEvenCare?"with Ovechkin's #...would I get some crap from team officials at the Booth?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

where did i say it was juice? i am just not in the "its not ov's fault" camp anymore.

he's not getting the job done. i dont think it helps having him play with beagle and crabb and would love to know the real reason for that.

if the caps dont want to use ovechkin like a lead franchise player, then trade him and get another one. using him at even strenth like he's ulf dahlen is a fools game

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
* When has anyone going through a slump not "needed to play better"?

* Other than Hunter's brief tenure, when has this organization ever had an answer aside from "play better" or "work harder"? Guess what, there's 29 other teams striving to "play better" and "work harder". That alone won't come close to cutting it.

All this does is put the spotlight squarely on Ovi and not the fact that we have a frankenteam assembled by a blind 5 year old. Which is probably exactly what Leonsis was trying to do here.

hmmm....a blind 5 year old eh? now that adds to the discourse. LOL. whats the point in responding.

ovechkin's slump. slumps last 20 games. this is not a slump. ovechkin hasnt been 50 goal ov or anything like it now into the third season in a row. its beyond a slump and the trajectory of his production is still sliding.

i am fairly confident that the caps have offered ovechkin a wide variety of coaching and mentoring. they have offered him numerous specifics of how he can change what he is doing. some coaches have actually changed his position. as a general rules this details remain in house.

do you think that boudreau wasnt coaching ov and suggesting changes to his game? demanding changes to his game? its pretty clear to me that hunter demanded changes and when he didnt get them, he changed the way he used the player.

or are you suggesting that hunter didnt coach ov to change and just decided to bench him with a lead?

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky

As for Ovy, I'm not giving up on him just yet. I don't believe a player loses skill and my guess is he is lovesick. That is no excuse, but my speculation. If there is one player who could switch it up from regular to playoffs, I believe it would be a hungry Ovechkin.

I'm a bit younger than that but I'm going through the same thing I just can't get up for watching a game and half the time when I do watch a game I only half pay attention while doing something else. Between the lockout, unknown direction of the team, and Ovie losing his heart for the game, I've lost mine.

Halpysback*

Sorry, despite OVs obvious physical gifts as a hockey player I don't think anyone holds the guy accountable as the highest payed player on the team and the guy with the C on his chest. In times when the team struggles OV should be the hardest working player on the ice, every shift, leading by example on how to work out whatever funk the team is in at the time. But I haven't seen that from OV since his last suspension. It's like he has been pouting all this time.

Some have said he needs this or he needs that to help him. BS. He needs to play up to his established potential. If he does that he not only lifts the play of the guys on his line, but lifts the entire team to another level of competition. Dare say a Cup level of competition.

But no, he should be treated with kid gloves for fear his feeling will be hurt. **** that. The Caps play like their C. Tuesday was a prime example. 2 periods of good hockey followed by 1 period of OV like coasting and a loss. As I said in that game thread, I don't think the Caps have ever played 3 solid periods of hockey with OV on the team. That is not an accident, IMO.

It's not about "kid gloves" or whatever. If Fat Teddy called you out after all this time would you respond positively? No, you'd tell him to go **** himself. Any of us would.

If you're the caps front office, Ovechkin is a means to an end. An expensive instrument that is extremely potent when it's working. You don't yell at your Corvette when it starts to sputter. You figure out what the hell you need to do to get it working and you do it. Tough love or kid gloves, who the hell cares. Whatever you need it to be you do it.

Ovechkin has been playing balls to the wall for this franchise for 6 years. He has gotten no help from the management. Management directly said that they'd rather have the window be open for 10 years rather than make a run, as if Ovechkin can easily keep playing at a more pumped level than anyone else in the league for so long. How would that make you feel as a player? I'd be pissed the **** off, especially watching other teams getting past us year after year and knowing all the eyes are on me. Everyone else gets help, you don't, and you're the goat any time any of your teams doesn't win everything. Now your friend and coincidentally the only other sniper on the roster is traded away. All the wingers aside from you are of reclamation projects and 3rd liners. Is Chimera-Ribeiro-Ward a line that any sane Coach/GM would put together after trading for Ribeiro? There's have 7 million in cap space sitting on defense. Erskine is on your team's 2nd pairing, Schultz is on the 3rd. But hey, as long as you play super duper hard the team will go all the way cause you're Ovechkin. And remember, if they don't, it's YOUR fault. Not McPhee's, not anyone else's, yours.

Didn't get it going after 2 games, despite coming straight from a league where you played at a high level after taking a bit of time to get going? Have fun playing with Beagle and Crabb. WHY OH WHY AREN'T YOU ENTHUSIASTIC?

It may sound like I'm the LEAVE OVECHKIN ALONE guy, but this is merely how he perceives things and how anyone would perceive them in his place. If you work based off of that, you can turn him around while actually building a team that doesn't rely on a pair of superstars playing elite to get as far as the 2nd round of the playoffs. If we take your approach, have fun trading him for a used hotdog and wondering why in god's name everyone didn't get the same boost they were supposed to get when Semin left.

Halpysback*

hmmm....a blind 5 year old eh? now that adds to the discourse. LOL. whats the point in responding.

ovechkin's slump. slumps last 20 games. this is not a slump. ovechkin hasnt been 50 goal ov or anything like it now into the third season in a row. its beyond a slump and the trajectory of his production is still sliding.

i am fairly confident that the caps have offered ovechkin a wide variety of coaching and mentoring. they have offered him numerous specifics of how he can change what he is doing. some coaches have actually changed his position. as a general rules this details remain in house.

do you think that boudreau wasnt coaching ov and suggesting changes to his game? demanding changes to his game? its pretty clear to me that hunter demanded changes and when he didnt get them, he changed the way he used the player.

or are you suggesting that hunter didnt coach ov to change and just decided to bench him with a lead?

You're right, even a blind 5 year old probably knows that you need more than one player who knows what a wrist shot is when you're trying to go for a cup.

I'd bet just about anything they haven't offered much beyond "WORK HARDER!". Our management is ridiculously tone deaf. Just about every player leaving the team has had a bad taste in his mouth for one reason or another. The roster for this glorious year 7 of the rebuild is all I need to know.

I don't think you understand the difference between a slump and a regression. What he has right now is a slump. What he's become as a player is regression. Ovechkin in a regression is a guy who is 5th in the league in goals in a bad year and really a 40-45g 40-45a player on a good team. That's what he would have been last year had we had Backstrom not been injured and had Johansson not been unable to finish anything, give or take. That's the player he was in Moscow. That's probably the player he is now on say the Sharks or the Flyers or some well run team.

Hunter didn't let Ovechkin, or anyone else score empty net goals. Does that say more about Ovechkin or Hunter? He had a system. He needed everyone to be on completely the same page. Easiest way to get everyone on the same page is to have them play super defensively. It's much easier to stop offensive plays than to execute them. One requires skill and coordination, one requires crude interference and swiping at someone's stick while they're trying to stickhandle. And if you remember, Hunter put Ovechkin on a throwaway kamikaze line and it was pretty much Ovechkin vs the Bruins in terms of physical play, and Ovechkin held his own. He did more to wear down Chara and Seidenberg than everyone else combined. Then in the next series he actually got a fair amount of offense going against Lundqvist all things considered. Yeah, he's no Brooks Laich or Jay Beagle when it comes to being an all situations player. And I'd take Ovechkin over 10 Laich's or Beagle's anyday. Apparently for Mafki it's the other way around.

Having him cheat on D, screen the goalie, throwing him on RW, etc are all gimmicks, not "changes to his game". There's things he's clearly good at, and things he clearly isn't. But the things he's good at he's so good at that you can build a whole line around them. Much like the Flyers do in the playoffs with Briere.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water

I grew up in the 70's when they didn't wear helmets. And I think there was talent in that era. The sport wasn't as fast but there was talent. I think I lost my zeal for sports in general when they became so marketable. I'm not faulting the sports for that because they are businesses but some of the marketing gets too much in the way for me.

As for Ovechkin - right now he is a sad story and I just hope it ends well for him and everyone else concerned. I haven't a clue how that can happen - I just hope it does.

Halpysback*

Also, which of the situations that led to the 3 goals Sens scored was Ovechkin responsible for exactly? The Ribeiro deflection"? Backstrom, Wolski and Neuvirth stargazing? Joel Ward's faux high stick?

Oh right those all happened because Ovechkin wasn't flying out there.

Are we positive it wasn't Semin being cancerous from far away though?

Ovechkin

Sep 14, 2005
Funny how he doesn't call out his general manager with the decade and a half of playoff failure.

This is typical AOL Ted, devoid of any ideas or desire to do something that would actually solve the problem. Just make it look like you are trying and people will just buy into it. Funny how we don't see his smug chest puffing posts like we used to with both of his teams being in the toilet. Buy hey, at least he's keeping Abe's failed legacy alive by continually employing two garbage employees in George and Ernie.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Pretty sure Ted isn't a guy devoid of ideas or desire. One doesn't become that wealthy without a hell of a lot of intelligence and drive to succeed. I think he's just taking the Anti-Snyder approach way too far. He's trying to stay out of the hockey operations side of it and let the guys who get paid run hockey side of the team, do so. After all, if you aren't in the game (or weren't in the past), you don't know hockey.

And Abe Pollin's legacy is alive and kicking. Sure it only has one championship from Le Bullet, but the guy did more for DC area Pro sports than anyone. I'd say that's a decent enough legacy, winning aside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad