Leonsis "Calls Ovechkin Out"

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
I don't know if Leonsis has ever claimed to have any hockey acumen. I'd imagine not many owners do. Ripping on him for that makes no sense to me.

Calling him a piece of human garbage reveals just how little rational thinking goes on sometimes.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I only don't like this because all signs (to me) point to Oates trying to nurture Ovechkin out of his slump, and Leonsis just walked along and crapped all over the plan. Wasn't particularly vicious, or even false, but seems contrary to the gameplan.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Ovechkin agreed to something like 6 years 9 million per. Adding the other 7 at 10 per was Leonsis's idea.

I don't doubt that to be accurate, but where did you read that? Just wondering, because at this point, it looks like a colossal blunder...

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Wow, such tame words are considered calling him out? Holy overreaction, Batman!

If the statement is a sign that the organization has expectations for him and that there are no sacred cows, great. If not, well it's just a bland, obvious answer to a question everyone's asking.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
I don't doubt that to be accurate, but where did you read that? Just wondering, because at this point, it looks like a colossal blunder...

Ted himself stated it when the signing was announced (or shortly after). Don't remember if it was part of the initial announcement at the STH party or part of the media hubbub afterwards, but they were his words.

And yeah, turned out to be a big blunder, misjudging the 3rd contracts of superstar players. Although I wonder if he considers it worth it, because the stability of a "lifetime" deal for Ovi probably helped the fanbase grow/solidify faster.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Certainly skirting around the issue hasn't helped much. But that was not a call out, the thread title should be changed. Ted talked about Ovi who is a mess right now.

Ovi doesn't give a rats ass about the regular season, and its a reflection of the emotionless modern day game. He lives off of emotion and adrenaline, and it has been sapped by the league, now even cutting out hitting not soon enough. The game really has never been more boring to me, and maybe you too. They are trying to call more dives to get more 4 on 4, a feeble attempt to spice up the game. I expect 0 dual roughs again this year. Quick to call misconduct this year = expect even less emotional play.

I don't remember many if any players on the Caps in the 1980's that took the regular season off. Guys were laying down to block shots all game long, all year long. Hitting, shooting as hard as possible, standing up for teammates, showing their sack to every camera they could. Giving their all.

That was Ovi. He was a throw back player, and saved me as a fan.

But it was only a matter of time before he saw he was the only one going balls to the wall.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Nothing resonates with Ovechkin. Have we not had in recent memories, the likes of Mike Knuble, Scott Hannan and Jason Arnott and probably there's been others having discussions behind closed doors with the "team", when in reality it was probably more meant for the Chernobyl twins.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Problem: Ovechkin keeps getting double teamed because he's the only legitimate scoring threat on the roster despite this being year million of the rebuild and is being played with scrubs

Solution: Uh... play more good

With hockey acumen like that throughout the organization it's a miracle we haven't won a cup yet.

Alex,

I really enjoyed this post! I'm still laughing.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Ovechkin got the richest contract in the sport's history because double teams couldn't stop him.

His struggles have absolutely nothing to do with him being the only scoring threat.

Guy,

Teams with limited offenceive talent tend to feature the talent they have.

Simply put: AO gets a lot more scoring chance playing on the Caps than he would playing on the... say, Pens.

With more options, the goals are more distributed.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
* ovechkin negotiated his own contract and knows leonsis. its not like ov is immune to the imprudent public comment.

* so, is there anyone here that disagree that ov, "needs to play better"?

* sure lets slam leonsis. i mean, we do hate the team. its a waste of our time from leonsis to joey crabb.

hey, soon brooks laich will be ready to play and will be asked a question the team and we can slam whatever he is going to say, because we know he is going to say something.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The Leonsis hate is misplaced. Start looking at your once upon a time Superstar Captain if you want to channel some frustration.

This wasn't calling out a player, it was being honest. Could have been a LOT worse.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Certainly skirting around the issue hasn't helped much. But that was not a call out, the thread title should be changed. Ted talked about Ovi who is a mess right now.

Ovi doesn't give a rats ass about the regular season, and its a reflection of the emotionless modern day game. He lives off of emotion and adrenaline, and it has been sapped by the league, now even cutting out hitting not soon enough. The game really has never been more boring to me, and maybe you too. They are trying to call more dives to get more 4 on 4, a feeble attempt to spice up the game. I expect 0 dual roughs again this year. Quick to call misconduct this year = expect even less emotional play.

I don't remember many if any players on the Caps in the 1980's that took the regular season off. Guys were laying down to block shots all game long, all year long. Hitting, shooting as hard as possible, standing up for teammates, showing their sack to every camera they could. Giving their all.

That was Ovi. He was a throw back player, and saved me as a fan.

But it was only a matter of time before he saw he was the only one going balls to the wall.

I'm with you Randy. The NHL game has never been more boring. The playoffs in particular where everyone plays that boring, get me a 1 goal lead off any junk shot or deflection you can get and then go into defensive lockdown.

I still remember an interview with Knuble after the Ovy/Campbell suspension where Knuble said he told Ovy to hold back. I thought back then that it was the worst possible advice I could have expected from a Vet like Knuble. I think Ovy took it to heart and no longer gives a damn about the regular season. Unfortunately it's near impossible to flip a switch and start giving a damn come playoff time.

On the surface there seems to be something dysfunction/unhealthy about Ovy's mental state (in relation to the game). He needs some help and you have to wonder if the Caps are trying to get him some. A sport psychologist can do wonders sometimes.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
What am I missing? All he said was "he needs to play better". Isn't that the truth? Maybe Ted's taking some heat off of the coach so Oates doesn't have to say it. Oates can stick to scratching guys who are not part of the problem.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
* ovechkin negotiated his own contract and knows leonsis. its not like ov is immune to the imprudent public comment.

* sure lets slam leonsis. i mean, we do hate the team. its a waste of our time from leonsis to joey crabb.

hey, soon brooks laich will be ready to play and will be asked a question the team and we can slam whatever he is going to say, because we know he is going to say something.

So I think what you're really saying (and what most mean when saying this)... is that you want him to score more?

So why are we having him kill penalties?

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
I'm with you Randy. The NHL game has never been more boring. The playoffs in particular where everyone plays that boring, get me a 1 goal lead off any junk shot or deflection you can get and then go into defensive lockdown.

I still remember an interview with Knuble after the Ovy/Campbell suspension where Knuble said he told Ovy to hold back. I thought back then that it was the worst possible advice I could have expected from a Vet like Knuble. I think Ovy took it to heart and no longer gives a damn about the regular season. Unfortunately it's near impossible to flip a switch and start giving a damn come playoff time.

On the surface there seems to be something dysfunction/unhealthy about Ovy's mental state (in relation to the game). He needs some help and you have to wonder if the Caps are trying to get him some. A sport psychologist can do wonders sometimes.

Guys... some of us find the tight defenceive game to be exciting.

The problem is... the season is too long.

Here's the fix:

Break it into 2, forty game seasons. After the 1st 40, you have a mini-playoff with the winner playing a tournament with the Davos Cup winner, and maybe the KHL winner, and getting guaranteed seeding in the SCP, which follows the 2nd 40 game schedule.

Two weeks after that tourney, the 2nd forty games start from scratch, so if your team didn't do well in the first forty games, you have a fresh start that doesn't require waiting until next season, like the current system does.

This will increase attention to the game, as game 63 in Edmonton or wherever is just too random for the novice fan to appreciate.

This gives teams 2 bites at the apple.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
So I think what you're really saying (and what most mean when saying this)... is that you want him to score more?

So why are we having him kill penalties?

has he? a quick check shows an average of 0:30 per game. 17th ranked on the team. being on the pk works for many offensive players. it certainly gets them on the ice when the opposition is not matching up against them and not giving much thought to defending him.

frankly skating hin with beagle and crabb is far more limiting than taking one shift of a pk per game.

maybe its just tht ov doesnt want to be a rw. maybe its that ov doesnt want to play hunterhockey. maybe its an injury he is playing thru. MAYBEEEEE....its the league making him cool his jets on his hitting game.

no....wait. its george w. bush's fault. yea, thats it.

i was one convinced one of these bad seasons was an injury. at somepoint the source of the lack of production is the producer.

maybe rh is right. ov is fine. its not the playoffs and he doesnt care. he's filling up his uniform and in the lineup every game. when the game counts for something in the playoffs, his game will be there.

IF that is what is going on, then maybe he should give the c back to george or ted. ribeiro has 6pts in 6 games playing with....wolski?

Halpysback*

I don't have the link on me but I think I read it shortly after Ovi signed his contract. Not sure, it may have been the article about him chasing the puck as a metaphor for his life. I imagine they were using Crosby as a comparable and a slightly longer and slightly bigger contract for Ovechkin made sense at the time.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
has he? a quick check shows an average of 0:30 per game. 17th ranked on the team. being on the pk works for many offensive players. it certainly gets them on the ice when the opposition is not matching up against them and not giving much thought to defending him.

frankly skating hin with beagle and crabb is far more limiting than taking one shift of a pk per game.

maybe its just tht ov doesnt want to be a rw. maybe its that ov doesnt want to play hunterhockey. maybe its an injury he is playing thru. MAYBEEEEE....its the league making him cool his jets on his hitting game.

no....wait. its george w. bush's fault. yea, thats it.

i was one convinced one of these bad seasons was an injury. at somepoint the source of the lack of production is the producer.

maybe rh is right. ov is fine. its not the playoffs and he doesnt care. he's filling up his uniform and in the lineup every game. when the game counts for something in the playoffs, his game will be there.

IF that is what is going on, then maybe he should give the c back to george or ted. ribeiro has 6pts in 6 games playing with....wolski?

You can be out there making a difference, like a Malkin or Datsyuk, or you can be out there sulking and taking up space.

Look at Datsyuk, and his steals. It's a point of personal pride for him to control the puck.

Alex doesn't seem to have the desire, or the energy.

So to me, he needs to improve his attitude, and his conditioning.

If he could do that, maybe his scoring would improve.

foundhockey

Apr 29, 2012
Georgia, USA
Wow, such tame words are considered calling him out? Holy overreaction, Batman!

If the statement is a sign that the organization has expectations for him and that there are no sacred cows, great. If not, well it's just a bland, obvious answer to a question everyone's asking.

Yep, agreed.

Halpysback*

* When has anyone going through a slump not "needed to play better"?

* Other than Hunter's brief tenure, when has this organization ever had an answer aside from "play better" or "work harder"? Guess what, there's 29 other teams striving to "play better" and "work harder". That alone won't come close to cutting it.

All this does is put the spotlight squarely on Ovi and not the fact that we have a frankenteam assembled by a blind 5 year old. Which is probably exactly what Leonsis was trying to do here.

Last edited by a moderator:

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Lol surprised, then he doesn't know hockey. I'm surprised that GMP still had a job, slowly he has replaced the skilled players with dump and chasers. The other game OV was on a rush set up for the one timer on 3-2, and the trailer buried a shot in the pads... OV gave a small beaver tail with his stick after, it was an easy goal if the guy passed to him, the goalie had cheated and left OV for an open net.
An OV trade will eventually be imminent, he cannot survive on a team like this. Maybe Forsberg can come in and help along with Kuznetsov, but right now there is not a lot of pure skilled guys outside of OV and Backsrom.
I watched a lot of OV in the KHL since I primarily watch KHL.. It reminded me of the old OV. But his line had great chemistry and the PP had great puck/player movement. DM also dump and chased about half as much as the Caps do..
I feel though that Semin leaving was the final nail in the coffin. Honestly I think and hope Semin thrives in Car just show GMP that you can't surround skilled guys with grinders and expect big results.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You can be out there making a difference, like a Malkin or Datsyuk, or you can be out there sulking and taking up space.

Look at Datsyuk, and his steals. It's a point of personal pride for him to control the puck.

Alex doesn't seem to have the desire, or the energy.

So to me, he needs to improve his attitude, and his conditioning.

If he could do that, maybe his scoring would improve.

ok....fine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->