Player Discussion Leo Carlsson

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Leo still has a chance to end up 2nd in rookie scoring based on PPG average. Would be a nice accomplishment considering the team he is on and the injuries he had.

I feel Leo gels more with Killorn than Terry though, so I am curious what happens in the future. Verbeek is going to add a Top 6 RW, and will have Gauthier as well for a Top 6 LW. So there will be options and depth.

Reactions: lwvs84 and Kalv

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Leo still has a chance to end up 2nd in rookie scoring based on PPG average. Would be a nice accomplishment considering the team he is on and the injuries he had.

I feel Leo gels more with Killorn than Terry though, so I am curious what happens in the future. Verbeek is going to add a Top 6 RW, and will have Gauthier as well for a Top 6 LW. So there will be options and depth.
I really hope we see 3 legit lines. Matchups could produce nightmares if the young guys really find their groove.

Last edited:

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Three lines are a big part of it. Now with Zegras given the opportunity and getting his wizardry back, it poses matchup problems for other teams.

Next season will be one to evaluate if Terry fits. If he can’t defer more to the center, it will hurt whatever line he is on. He lacks the Vatrano mentality to go where he needs to to get a goal. Frank will play anywhere if it leads to a good chance.

It will be interesting to see where Gauthier plays. Leo needs a true goal scorer on the wing. That will lead to many more scoring opportunities for him.

John

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

I feel Leo gels more with Killorn than Terry though, so I am curious what happens in the future. Verbeek is going to add a Top 6 RW, and will have Gauthier as well

I feel like that's a low bar to clear. Sure Killorn and Leo seem to connect on passes more consistently than Leo and Terry do, but passes in service of generating a dangerous shot/chance for still feel pretty uncommon. I'd prefer to see entirely different wingers for Leo eventually. As an example, I can't recall if Vatrano has ever been tried with Leo.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I feel like that's a low bar to clear. Sure Killorn and Leo seem to connect on passes more consistently than Leo and Terry do, but passes in service of generating a dangerous shot/chance for still feel pretty uncommon. I'd prefer to see entirely different wingers for Leo eventually. As an example, I can't recall if Vatrano has ever been tried with Leo.
I think Cronin’s system is to blame more than the players. Killorn - Carlsson - Terry is a bad line for dump and chase. Carlsson is bad and usually doesn’t try at retrieval, Killorn is too slow to be the retrieval, and Terry will try but isn’t physically built for it. None of the three routinely go to the net front (which is what I was pointing out is a team wide malady, Vatrano scored twice when Zegras kept feeding the front of the net and creating turnovers until Vatrano finally got it and started going there). Carlsson and Killorn also suck at proper support of whoever is battling in the corner - they neither support appropriately nor block the likely passing lanes of the battle is lost.

Terry and Carlsson need to be in a controlled entry scheme, where there’s follow up to the passes off the entry. With the dump and chase, players aren’t going to where they should be with the way that they’re trying to play. none of the three support well off the puck when someone else is dangling.

Carlsson also needs to stop the hero puck attempts to go through 3 guys until he’s actually put on muscle, he usually gets dispossessed, and is usually too off balance to do much useful with the puck on the occasions when he still has it.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Cronin’s system is to blame more than the players. Killorn - Carlsson - Terry is a bad line for dump and chase. Carlsson is bad and usually doesn’t try at retrieval, Killorn is too slow to be the retrieval, and Terry will try but isn’t physically built for it. None of the three routinely go to the net front (which is what I was pointing out is a team wide malady, Vatrano scored twice when Zegras kept feeding the front of the net and creating turnovers until Vatrano finally got it and started going there). Carlsson and Killorn also suck at proper support of whoever is battling in the corner - they neither support appropriately nor block the likely passing lanes of the battle is lost.

Terry and Carlsson need to be in a controlled entry scheme, where there’s follow up to the passes off the entry. With the dump and chase, players aren’t going to where they should be with the way that they’re trying to play. none of the three support well off the puck when someone else is dangling.

Carlsson also needs to stop the hero puck attempts to go through 3 guys until he’s actually put on muscle, he usually gets dispossessed, and is usually too off balance to do much useful with the puck on the occasions when he still has it.

Yeah I agree it’s more the system. These guys try and they have their flashes but it’s mostly on a rush they create the best chances. They need a guy who is going to win those puck battles on the boards and play a physical game while going into the areas to score/shoot the puck. I’m hoping Gauthier will be that guy. He does it both for BC.

I feel both Leo and Terry play that hero puck and end up just turning the puck over. Rely on your line-mates more, carry the puck but then get it someone who can hold it while they get into a position to score or make a play and get open.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

Good example of learning the wrong lessons from vets. He tries to be too much like Terry at times when earlier in his career, he would attempt to fly by defenses but he was also pretty adept at spacing work by positioning his body to keep defenders from getting right up in his face. Not consistently but there were flashes to what Getzlaf would commonly do with his size and reach. Getzlaf didn't really go for the hero puck move of trying to bull (forward at the net) and deke through multiple defenders too often and instead relied on spacing awareness, deception and reach to rove the outside to make good passes and draw defenders out of position. (I know it's a lazy comparison given who my second team is, but Jack Eichel is really effective at this in the modern era)

I saw a bit of that from Leo early on this year but you're right. After a few successful hero puck attempts, he's made it a bit too much of a habit.

As for Killorn, my issue is that while you're right that Cronin seems to be forcing them to play a hybrid dump n chase/cycle around the walls game, I just don't see that Killorn is too involved in trying to make plays happen down low except in moments where defenses just happen to break down or leave too much room around the corners. Most of the time it just feels like Killer is pushing the puck around without doing too much to get defenses to bite and make mistakes. Which in turn makes it feel like Leo and Killer are really only connecting on passes that are made simply for the sake of moving the puck around the outside. I rarely see connected passes between the two that lead to the puck getting closer to the high slot for a high danger chance.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Yeah I agree it’s more the system. These guys try and they have their flashes but it’s mostly on a rush they create the best chances. They need a guy who is going to win those puck battles on the boards and play a physical game while going into the areas to score/shoot the puck. I’m hoping Gauthier will be that guy. He does it both for BC.

I feel both Leo and Terry play that hero puck and end up just turning the puck over. Rely on your line-mates more, carry the puck but then get it someone who can hold it while they get into a position to score or make a play and get open.
I think they hero puck because they get tired of the constant dump and chase turnovers. Leo just tries to go through the whole team, Terry will circle the offensive zone waiting for someone to go somewhere dangerous, while they instead just stand about in non-dangerous areas.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think they hero puck because they get tired of the constant dump and chase turnovers. Leo just tries to go through the whole team, Terry will circle the offensive zone waiting for someone to go somewhere dangerous, while they instead just stand about in non-dangerous areas.

Yup, that goal last night should be burned into Leo’s head. He gives the puck to Fowler to carry, then gets set up in the middle to receive a great set up from Killorn.

Normally They don’t get into the positions and stay on the parameter causing Terry to try and cycle more only for no play to be made so he loses it.

Then with Zegras and his line, Zegras loves going behind the net to set up….or do the Michigan. Lol. But Z is going to throw the puck in front of the net, someone needs to be there. Vatrano scored twice because of it. Well……Binnington scored the first goal. :sarcasm:

I feel our players are allergic to getting in those dangerous areas, are they afraid to get hit?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Yup, that goal last night should be burned into Leo’s head. He gives the puck to Fowler to carry, then gets set up in the middle to receive a great set up from Killorn.

Normally They don’t get into the positions and stay on the parameter causing Terry to try and cycle more only for no play to be made so he loses it.

Then with Zegras and his line, Zegras loves going behind the net to set up….or do the Michigan. Lol. But Z is going to throw the puck in front of the net, someone needs to be there. Vatrano scored twice because of it. Well……Binnington scored the first goal. :sarcasm:

I feel our players are allergic to getting in those dangerous areas, are they afraid to get hit?
I feel like they’re being coached to support in the corners and then…that’s it. Even on the PP it’s almost never that the guys standing to the side of the net try to take it to the front of the net, they just look for the pass to Killorn out front.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad