Player Discussion Leo Carlsson

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Dunno. Mac improved quite a bit year over year. He's supposedly a rink rat, so maybe that's part of it.
Hopefully Leo works with Mac (or at least whoever Mason worked with in the off season).

I'd wager that you should be able to learn taking faceoffs much faster and easier, when you are as tall and quick-thinking as Leo is. The latter being a difference maker, because we all know you wouldn't be able to teach Nick Ritchie faceoffs. Well, maybe face-off ripping.

In all honesty, Leo has quick decision making skills and good hands along with the size. He should be really fine once he puts in some more muscle (read: 10 kilograms at least) and focuses on FOs in his daily routine. I actually expect him to become our best FO option some time down the road.
Yeah, I assumed it's because of lack of practice against this level combined with still being a teenager (not having the muscle yet). His hands and his brain are definitely good enough that he can learn basically anything. I wonder if he focused on improving skating last year, during the draft, as someone said earlier, it was labeled as his weakest skill (rated average?). Now he can absolutely fly when he has open ice. If he could learn to finish those breakaways, he'd have way more goals.

Best faceoff guys are usually the older centers in the league indicating that is certainly a skill that keeps developing over the years with practice.
It makes sense, part of it is the strength, part is psychological. When you're standing across the dot from a guy you watched growing up, some guys are a little star struck. As you get older, it becomes more routine. Plus you add the muscle, the technique (since NHL prospects were probably better/faster than 95% of their competition in juniors/lower leagues).

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
At least we got a highlight goal from a horrible game last night…

I’ve seen the name Barkov thrown out there to where his potential is, but think it’s even higher than that. He has already surpassed Barkov’s rookie season total, and in less games.

Barkov didn’t break out till like his 5th season in the NHL

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
At least we got a highlight goal from a horrible game last night…

I’ve seen the name Barkov thrown out there to where his potential is, but think it’s even higher than that. He has already surpassed Barkov’s rookie season total, and in less games.

Barkov didn’t break out till like his 5th season in the NHL

That is a brilliant play. Simple, smart and accurate.

Barkov improved a lot season to season and his all around play is still quite a bit ahead of Leo's. We'll see, Leo looks like he has all the tools but needs to fill out his body and gain experience, seems like only a matter of time though.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
There has been some good and bad with Leo, as to be expected.

However, one thing consistently stated in his scouting profile was an average or deficient shot, that Just seems way off.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
There has been some good and bad with Leo, as to be expected.

However, one thing consistently stated in his scouting profile was an average or deficient shot, that Just seems way off.
You can tell when he gets stronger that will make the world of difference he still falls down to easy

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
I still think that once he gets to feel comfortable in his body and puts on some muscle, he will be akin to Sundin rather than Malkin.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
I haven't watched the games for a while now so for those you that watch Leo more actively:

When I watched Leo and Fantilli during worlds, I noticed often that Leo seemed much more relaxed to the point of looking slightly unintrested compared to Fantilli, who always seemed to play with fire. Does Leo need more of a push from the coaches to get more out of him? Is he being talked to, pumped up by his teammates or Cronin during games?

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I still think that once he gets to feel comfortable in his body and puts on some muscle, he will be akin to Sundin rather than Malkin.
Granted it’s early, I don’t really see the comparison with Sundin a whole lot. Sundin was a true power-centre and really wasn’t known as a playmaker. I think Leo might have superior puck skills but may not play the power game to the extent Sundin did.

Reactions: AngelDuck

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I haven't watched the games for a while now so for those you that watch Leo more actively:

When I watched Leo and Fantilli during worlds, I noticed often that Leo seemed much more relaxed to the point of looking slightly unintrested compared to Fantilli, who always seemed to play with fire. Does Leo need more of a push from the coaches to get more out of him? Is he being talked to, pumped up by his teammates or Cronin during games?
I know exactly what you mean, re: the Worlds. I felt more or less the same way when watching that tournament.

I think overall, Leo's compete and intensity are higher in the NHL than at World's. He doesn't play at the same continuous pace as Fantilli, but when he turns on the jets he can be hard to stop and will only get stronger on the puck.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Both Leo and Adam having more than half a point a game as rookies shows how good the top3 in 2023 draft really was.

Leo's skating and shooting is way way better than advertised and his shot accuracy is quite great. Adams hockey IQ doesn't seem it will hold him back, he's not gonna take forever to blossom like Byfield and Lafreniere did.

Reactions: lwvs84

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I absolutely think 90 points is a possibility next season, and think it's pretty much a sure thing the season after next. He's going to be so much better when he gets a little stronger and refines some things in his game.

Also a better team around him will help obviously

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
I absolutely think 90 points is a possibility next season, and think it's pretty much a sure thing the season after next. He's going to be so much better when he gets a little stronger and refines some things in his game.

Also a better team around him will help obviously
That's bold, but perhaps achievable. Still, I see a 70 point season upside for 2 more years unless we hit a jackpot with Leo and he turns up next fall doubly effective from this year, a year in which he already impressed.

I think Leo seems like the type that doesn't necessarily care for point totals but a guy who wants to improve his all around play. That said he is very smart in creating offense so it might just happen naturally.

I'm suprised Leo adapted so well to NHL. I thought his lay back attitude and lanky stature would hinder him from being effective. Or I guess they sort of have, but his smarts and skills, skating, shot have elevated him. In contrast to Fantilli, I too was expecting Fanta to come in more ready, perhaps something to consider when evaluating NCAA talent in the short term future? He really dominated as a true freshman, all the talk was about how much strength training they do and how prepared he would be. Well, Leo was just as ready, if not more. Or is it Verbeeks greatest feat yet: the Leo plan?

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Hopefully injuries dont hold him back. He already had a concussion and a knee injury this year causing him to miss time. He such a smart/skilled player IMO injuries will be the only thing to hold him back. Praying some more strength training will help him avoid future injuries.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
That aspect is most definitely not in Leo's repertoire but offensively there are parallels. When i watch him play offense, a Sundin-type does not come to my mind at least
I feel like I definitely see Sundin in Leo so I'm curious what you think is missing, other than the overpowering slap shot. Also Leo has more finesse to his game. Sundin was a pretty gentle power forward as those things go, just a big guy who could get wherever he wanted to go through sheer size but he wasn't constantly blasting people, and we're starting to see that in Leo as well.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I feel like I definitely see Sundin in Leo so I'm curious what you think is missing, other than the overpowering slap shot. Also Leo has more finesse to his game. Sundin was a pretty gentle power forward as those things go, just a big guy who could get wherever he wanted to go through sheer size but he wasn't constantly blasting people, and we're starting to see that in Leo as well.
I guess I feel like he looks even more finesse than Sundin did. I think he also might have better puck skills.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I agree with both of those, although Sundin was a wizard at puck protection.
Yeah, it’s not some out-of-left-field comparison, just not who pops out to me when I watch but I see what you mean. I think I see Malkin a bit more but even there obviously there are big differences. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess lol

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Yeah, it’s not some out-of-left-field comparison, just not who pops out to me when I watch but I see what you mean. I think I see Malkin a bit more but even there obviously there are big differences. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess lol
Well he's a weird hybrid because he does have some crazy puck skills. The way he can bring the puck from the outside to the middle in a blink for a big guy is honestly very Getzlaf-y to me. He's all wingspan, size and vision.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Well he's a weird hybrid because he does have some crazy puck skills. The way he can bring the puck from the outside to the middle in a blink for a big guy is honestly very Getzlaf-y to me. He's all wingspan, size and vision.
And it seems like he has the ability to blow pucks by goalies like Getz did. A handful of his goals have been like that and he seems maybe more willing on average than Getz to shoot although during his slump he was passing up shots.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
And it seems like he has the ability to blow pucks by goalies like Getz did. A handful of his goals have been like that and he seems maybe more willing on average than Getz to shoot although during his slump he was passing up shots.

I don't think Carlsson has the slapshot that Getzlaf did. Or if he does have it, we haven't seen it yet. But Carlsson has a good wrister and snapshot, and he does seem more willing to use them than Getzlaf, although he's very much a pass first player. And he has the vision that Getzlaf had. We'll see if Carlsson develops the fantastic backhand strength that was both Getzlaf's blessing and curse.

In on-ice demeanor, though, Carlsson seems much more akin to Barkov than Getzlaf. Which is fine, although nothing made me happier during Getzlaf's prime than when he got angry. It meant that we were either going to see him take over the game and demolish guys on his way to a goal and two assists or we were going to see him demolish guys on his way to the penalty box three times while the Ducks went kicking and screaming to a three-goal loss. Either way, it was not going to be boring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad