WinnerPeg
pLX7YP7.jpg

pLX7YP7.jpg

QxUnagm.gif

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I have a gut feeling LA will trade back and select one of Drysdale or Sanderson. Wouldn't be surprised if Detroit moved up to take Stutzle if that was the case. LA is pretty lean on D and already have a wealth of young forward prospects.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Is it bad that I'm happier picking 3rd than 2nd? I think the Sens would draft Byfield for sure with 2OA, whereas now we might end up with Stutzle, whom I prefer.

and 5th is the perfect spot for drafting Rossi.

I'm satisfied with today's outcome.

If this is ultimately what the Sens do in the draft, I'll feel a lot better about not winning the lottery.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I'd rather Stutzle than Byfield, but at this point it's hard to not be happy with getting one of them. The other pick being a guy like Raymond/Rossi/Perfetti/Drysdale/Sanderson is pretty amazing as well.

I was coming in expecting we wouldn't get a top 3 pick and we did. Detroit after a terrible year landing 4rth is terrible though.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
So many good players will be avaliable at 5 it’s hard to pick between them

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I ended up loaded and fell asleep with half an hour to the draft.

The first tweet I read when I woke up said 'You *****d up NHL' and I instantly knew a placeholder got the no. 1 pick. And I was actually expecting us not to have won a lottery spot and be 5/6.

So a bit of scrolling later, finding out that we had won the three spot, I was pleasantly surprised. Then immediately got greedy because I wished we got the no. 2 so we could be in control of drafting Stutzle.

Could be worse I guess. I just think it's hilarious that it literally took us sitting last or second last for three years, as well as with another team's pick sitting third last this year, to actually get a lottery win, and it still ended up being the third slot, with San Jose's pick.

The possibility of Habs/Pens drafting first is deeply troubling, along with the Islanders situation now.

Speatleysson

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
Ok.. so I've slept on it now and I feel a little better today. We were lucky to have made top 3, and we can't complain about that; imagine what we'd be saying if we got bumped to 5 and 6? At least we know that we are getting Byfield/stutzle at worst.

I know that what we are all mostly annoyed about is a play-in team winning lafreniere. Worst case scenario is the islanders winning, because then we lose our effing pick this year.

Yesterday I was cheesed that toronto or Pittsburgh may land laf, but they'd be in cap hell in a couple years - forcing them to move other key players.

Lastly, and I said this a while back, this may be a draft where the 1OA does not end up being the best player in a few years. Byfield could be the best when he develops a little more (he's a year younger) and becomes a legitimate top 5 center in the NHL. Lafreniere isn't even an amazing 1OA.. he's compared more to Hall than to anyone like crosby or McKinnon.

Holtz could lead this draft class in goals scored over his nhl career, yet he is slotted to go 5-10 overall.

Draft is a crap shoot, let's just focus on OUR guys we pick, and embrace them as part of the family going forward. Hughes and dahlin went 1OA.. but we dont miss having them because we have that bad*** tkachuk who may end up being more valuable.

Keep your chin up folks, we didnt lose this draft.. not by a long shot.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Eh, I was hoping for at least 1 top three pick, so I guess while I shouldn’t be disappointed, I somehow still am. Would have felt a little better if it was one of the actual 7 lottery teams that had won 1st overall, but 3 and 5 isn’t bad and is better than the what we were preparing for (5 & 6).

The Karlsson trade delivered one more gift for us with that pick staying at 3. Hopefully we take whoever is left of Stutzle/Byfield (although I could see LA taking Drysdale thus leaving us with a decision to make).

Obviously it sucks to not land #1 but we’re still getting our potential 1C plus another high caliber prospect... hoping for Drysdale at 5 but would be happy with any of the forwards likely available then (Raymond, Perfetti, Holtz).

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Lafreniere still doesn’t know where he is going.
I was hoping for his interview lol.

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Could the Leafs end up with the last Laf??? Could you imagine how irritating that would be?? OMG i would never watch hockey again.Lol

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Picking 3rd allowed us not to have to make a tough decision between Stutzle and Byfield. Either are such huge wins for us. #5 is the tougher pick no question.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Could the Leafs end up with the last Laf??? Could you imagine how irritating that would be?? OMG i would never watch hockey again.Lol
Montreal getting him would be worse. That team and fanbase can eat shit for all I care.

Toronto would have issues fitting him under the cap in a couple of years.

Reactions: Speatleysson

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Taylor hall 1st overall curse, NJ becomes new Edmonton with another 1st overall with Arizona pick
NJ regularly moves up in the draft while we regularly move down.

Luck of the draw I guess.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Id be pissed if MTL gets the first overall pick as they are prolly gonna get killed in the playoffs since they really dont deserve to be there.

I think with the dmens in our system we should go with 2 high end forwards but that’s just me. I miss having a scary offense and two top 5 picks could be bomb.

I know it’s only 25% but man sucks that both our picks fell, frustrating after all we endured

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
...the fact that a qualifying team gonna win is pathetic.

Not only that... the ridiculous part is that it could be a Stanley Cup contender...

They should have had the #1 between the 7 eliminated teams, and then the #8 (which is still pretty good) between the #8-15 teams

Or something like the 2 top picks are determined with a lotto for bottom-7 teams, and the #3 pick is a lotto for 8-15 teams. Just don't give the 1st or 2nd OA to a bubble team close to make the playoffs or who just had a down year.

A nightmare is Montreal winning it.

I would literally NEVER hear the end of it

We lost three straight lotteries. We didn't hold our position. We're picking #5.

That is the thing that shocks me the most. I mean, I know we're pretty unlucky but what were the chances we dropped 2 spots, 3 spots then 3 spots again for 3 drafts in a row? I would like to see that %

Unknown Lottery Team E with a 2.5% chance to get Lafreniere ended up winning.

TVA said Team E was the Jets. But looking at standings again, they might have been mistaken

At least the Kings won’t get Laf...

What is very important and hasn't been talked about (didn't see any post about it) is that these stud prospects are going west. Wish Detroit was still in the West but hopefully, the team getting that 1st will be from the West as well. That would mean that Ottawa would be the first team from the East to pick

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
3 and 5 plus wherever NYI lands.
4 2nd round picks.
2 3rd round picks.
Likely another Top 10 pick next year.

Despite not winning the big prize, we are still in good hands for rebuilding through the draft.

Agreed, but we don't need 1 million picks though. This rebuild is already pretty well advanced, we just need the players that could put the team over the top. Lines 2-3-4 and the bottom-2 pairings will be stacked already but for the 1st line and 1st pairing, there's only Tkachuk (who will most likely be a complimentary 1st line player) and Chabot.

Lines 2-4: Duclair, Brown, Batherson, Norris, Formenton, Balcers, White, Pinto, Abramov, Connor Brown, Nick Paul, Tierney +++

Bottom-2 pairings : Brannstrom, Wolanin, Thomson, JBD, Zub, Alsing, Zaitsev, Jaros, Lajoie

As we can see, LOT of options, so these parts of the lineup will most likely be filled very well. But Tkachuk and Chabot need help at the top. Maybe guys like Norris/Batherson or JBD/Thomson will be worthy of 1st line duty but we need to CASH IN on those pick #3 and #5. Winning 1st OA would have meant a blue chip 1st liner. Stutzle and Byfield might be as well, but not as garanteed as Lafreniere

IMO, Dorion has to be creative, could acquire a young-ish established player with all these picks and prospects in the bank.

On second thought...

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Raymond

what a first line that could be.

It's normal to be disappointed, because no Lafreniere and it's annoying to see our pick always drop 2 or 3 spots but getting a top-3 pick was the MOST important thing. We needed 1 guy from that 2nd tier (Stutzle/Byfield)

We are also going to speak 2nd just after Detroit for that 3rd tier of guys that will most likely be stars and 1st line players : Raymond, Drysdale, Perfetti, Rossi, Sanderson, Holtz

You rarely see a top-9 of that quality (even Lundell is not too far behind and is part of that group for many teams)

Detroit can only take ONE guy, so we have the 2nd choice here. Best case scenario is they take Askarov because they are not confident in their goalie pipeline. But most likely they go with Perfetti or Drysdale/Sanderson?

So all that being said, here's the crazy top-9 we could have :

Duclair-Stutzle-Raymond
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Formenton-Brown-Pinto

With a luxury 4th line :

Paul-White-Brown

Depending on what happens at the draft guys like Balcers, Abramov, Chlapik who will all make a case that they can play in the NHL will become trade bait?

Chris Tierney is already trade bait IMO.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I have a gut feeling LA will trade back and select one of Drysdale or Sanderson. Wouldn't be surprised if Detroit moved up to take Stutzle if that was the case. LA is pretty lean on D and already have a wealth of young forward prospects.
If Dorion and co. really like Stutzle they have a lot more to offer than Detroit to move up.

I just have a hard time seeing a trade within the top 5 in the modern NHL. Plus, Luc Robitaille apparently did a french interview where he said they want to take a forward.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Agreed, but we don't need 1 million picks though. This rebuild is already pretty well advanced, we just need the players that could put the team over the top. Lines 2-3-4 and the bottom-2 pairings will be stacked already but for the 1st line and 1st pairing, there's only Tkachuk (who will most likely be a complimentary 1st line player) and Chabot.

Lines 2-4: Duclair, Brown, Batherson, Norris, Formenton, Balcers, White, Pinto, Abramov, Connor Brown, Nick Paul, Tierney +++

Bottom-2 pairings : Brannstrom, Wolanin, Thomson, JBD, Zub, Alsing, Zaitsev, Jaros, Lajoie

As we can see, LOT of options, so these parts of the lineup will most likely be filled very well. But Tkachuk and Chabot need help at the top. Maybe guys like Norris/Batherson or JBD/Thomson will be worthy of 1st line duty but we need to CASH IN on those pick #3 and #5. Winning 1st OA would have meant a blue chip 1st liner. Stutzle and Byfield might be as well, but not as garanteed as Lafreniere

IMO, Dorion has to be creative, could acquire a young-ish established player with all these picks and prospects in the bank.

It's normal to be disappointed, because no Lafreniere and it's annoying to see our pick always drop 2 or 3 spots but getting a top-3 pick was the MOST important thing. We needed 1 guy from that 2nd tier (Stutzle/Byfield)

We are also going to speak 2nd just after Detroit for that 3rd tier of guys that will most likely be stars and 1st line players : Raymond, Drysdale, Perfetti, Rossi, Sanderson, Holtz

You rarely see a top-9 of that quality (even Lundell is not too far behind and is part of that group for many teams)

Detroit can only take ONE guy, so we have the 2nd choice here. Best case scenario is they take Askarov because they are not confident in their goalie pipeline. But most likely they go with Perfetti or Drysdale/Sanderson?

So all that being said, here's the crazy top-9 we could have :

Duclair-Stutzle-Raymond
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Formenton-Brown-Pinto

With a luxury 4th line :

Paul-White-Brown

Depending on what happens at the draft guys like Balcers, Abramov, Chlapik who will all make a case that they can play in the NHL will become trade bait?

Chris Tierney is already trade bait IMO.
I'm not sure about raymond, but if you went with that then I think that top line is a bit small and L Brown who is huge happens to be too far down on the 3rd line, so in that scenario I'd be happier with,

Stutzle-LBrown-Raymond
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Formenton-Pinto-Abramov
Paul-White-CBrown

That would be an excellent start, before inserting other draft picks/trade returns.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad