Lemieux's 92-93 season - GOAT season by any player

DeathSniper

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Some people here clearly have no clue what chemotherapy nor radiation does to your body to state that a "lump in the neck" doesn't impact his ability to play hockey. On top of that, Mario did the treatments over 2 decades ago (medication has improved a LOT since then) and with a bad back as well...

Also, just wanted to state that stage does not necessarily denote how life-threatening or not a cancer is. I had Stage IIB Hodgkins and it was deemed critical and immediately life-threatening. The stage is only to denote how much the cancer has spread.

Realistically though, I think it's very hard to quantify the effect his health had on him for several of the seasons, but I'll agree that it may not be the greatest, but most impressive season ever :)

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
Some people here clearly have no clue what chemotherapy nor radiation does to your body to state that a "lump in the neck" doesn't impact his ability to play hockey. On top of that, Mario did the treatments over 2 decades ago (medication has improved a LOT since then) and with a bad back as well...

Also, just wanted to state that stage does not necessarily denote how life-threatening or not a cancer is. I had Stage IIB Hodgkins and it was deemed critical and immediately life-threatening. The stage is only to denote how much the cancer has spread.

Realistically though, I think it's very hard to quantify the effect his health had on him for several of the seasons, but I'll agree that it may not be the greatest, but most impressive season ever :)

Great post about the effects of Chemo & Radiation. It's been 9 years for me and I haven't had energy since before my 1st treatment.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
You wrote that a limp on your neck has nothing to do with hockey ability. The poison that they put in your body however does, I know so first hand.
To clarify (again), my comment about "nothing to do with hockey ability" refers to BEFORE Lemieux had his cancer treatment, not during and after. I clearly stated that he was probably fatigued from the therapy shortly after coming back to play.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
To clarify (again), my comment about "nothing to do with hockey ability" refers to BEFORE Lemieux had his cancer treatment, not during and after. I clearly stated that he was probably fatigued from the therapy shortly after coming back to play.
It’s not a probably. He took the entire 94-95 season off to recover. Then proceed to score 161 points in 70 games at the start of the dead puck era

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Lemieux has a history of performing better with increased rest, so it makes sense that having suffered through 24 fewer games than his opponents would give him a leg up.

We need to stop acting like he had stage 4 brain cancer. It was known from the get-go it wouldn't be fatal.

You act like Hodgkins have a 100% survival rate when its actually 60-95% for young people. Thats today, I dont know if the numbers were worse back then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad