Lemieux vs. Orr: The two greatest injury-stunted careers

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
we saw Orr, but we didn't

He had his 1st major knee injury in his 2nd year. He played his entire career on a variety of ongoing knee injuries. He essentially never really had a season at 100%
Which is why I brought up earlier that his skating was LIGHTYEARS ahead in 1971 compared to 1974. His game had evolved intelligently so we do not see much change in points despite his skating being visibly deteriorated, but it is possible 1974 Orr's brain + 1971 Orr's knees and skating = 160+ points as a Dman.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Speaking from experience, a bad knee at a young age wears out over time. So, he may have had his original speed for a few years after the first injury. But the more cartilage and miniscus damage (and we know there was lots), his knee eventually wore down to nothing.

I was never a professional athlete, but I ripped up my knee (two severed ligaments and accompanied cartilage damage) just before my 17th birthday. I was able to play sports for almost 20 more years, but the last year I was actually able to run was when I was 36.
Yeah and Surgeries in the 70's compared to just 10 years later changed as much as technology changed for us between 1998 to 2008.

It has been speculated that if Orr had been born 10 years later, he would have played a full career just because of advancements in surgical procedures

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Whenever arguments like this appear I am always tempted to ask, how accurately can you really compare a forward with a defenseman?

This time I give in to temptation :rolleyes:

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Whenever arguments like this appear I am always tempted to ask, how accurately can you really compare a forward with a defenseman?

This time I give in to temptation :rolleyes:

.... :laugh: best you listen to your gut, head... go with your 1st instinct.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad