News Article: Lemieux, Burkle exploring possible sale of Penguins

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I will match everything the board puts in, plus 1%, to give me 51%

I wouldn't trust you with full control. You'd probably do something stupid like trade Lovejoy or Scuderi for Despres, and then follow it up by insisting your scouting staff actually stop ignoring forwards in the draft.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
They continue to have a franchise under control by a fat ass politician ****** with absolutely no qualifications to run a hockey team, and now Mario is yet again taking his ball and going home...

taking his ball and going home? I get being frustrated with the past 5 years, but man, I think he's done plenty for the franchise/city...?

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
They continue to have a franchise under control by a fat ass politician ****** with absolutely no qualifications to run a hockey team, and now Mario is yet again taking his ball and going home...
Ease up on the hysterics.

This was always the end game for Lemieux. He bought the team to salvage the money he was owed. Making sure it didn't leave Pittsburgh, which he grew to really love, was a big secondary concern.

But he was willing to sell the team in 2005. He's never been a visible owner. He's allowed those underneath him to be the visible face of the franchise during major news announcements. He and Burkle preferred to stay in the shadows.

It was only a matter of time until Lemieux decided he'd recovered enough of his capital and that the Pens were stable. He'll sell most - probably not all - of his shares, keep an emeritus position on the board or something, and kick his feet up back home.

Burkle's a businessman. If he's looking to sell his portion, it's probably because he's eying a new venture and wants the capital.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Same. I hope this doesn't raise relocation issues.

I'm pretty sure Bettman is a commissioner that is an anti-relocation kind of guy unless there is a very good reason to move a team. I could see the league blocking a move and one of the reasons is Consol is brand new. And a better reason is they've had success in this market.

Kovifan27

Jan 17, 2012
Philly, PA
Getting into the playoffs at all costs was the goal every year. If we get further great but they wanted the playoff revenue.

Who was rumored to purchase the team last time? I know Cuban was in the mix supposedly.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
I've been predicting that they would become tired with their toy. There's a Pittsburgh firm who has been interested in the past in purchasing this team. At least the crony hirings of Morehouse, Tocchet and Guerin will finally come to an end. Now my other prediction of Sidney Crosby following Mike Babcock to Toronto and Malkin possibly? wanting to go play in the KHL should be the next predictions to come true.;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad