News Article: Lemieux Basically Had No Involvement Because of Lawsuit Against FSG, Now Settled

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I dunno, I feel Mario's people reach to MM to show that these FSG guys are full of shit, as I truly expected that they are...Hope I am wrong

Who cares. What a nothingburger. Mario isn't some genius executive.
not sure how good executives are guys from FSG, but these three iconic franchises just happened to have bad couple of years (comparatively speaking)...either way I agree nothingburger

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
not sure how good executives are guys from FSG, but these three iconic franchises just happened to have bad couple of years (comparatively speaking)...either way I agree nothingburger
I'm not saying Mario is worse than whoever FSG has running things.

I'm just saying, it's another cook in the kitchen who doesn't need to be there. Thanks for buying the team and the paintcan. But he could be a ping pong ball away from having a Michael Jordan reputation as an owner (not a good thing).

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Mario still has a minority stake in the team.

Lemieux was a Penguins majority owner before his group sold ownership of the team to Fenway Sports Group in December of 2021. He has maintained a minority ownership. "He is, of course, not only welcome, but wanted back whenever he wants," Beeston said.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I dunno, I feel Mario's people reach to MM to show that these FSG guys are full of shit, as I truly expected that they are...Hope I am wrong

Yes, Boston, Liverpool and the Penguins have all had a bad 12 months.

Liverpool was highly successful the previous 12 months and has had a significant string of elite competitive years prior to that under FSG. Boston has won four World Series in 20 years under FSG after not winning one for 86 years.

Liverpool and Boston are just like the Penguins. They've been so successful for the last decade or two that a mediocre season or two is the end of the world to the fanbase.

Slick Arnold

Sponsor
Oct 4, 2005

Well this article just throws a big, wet blanket on the CBS one.

Does anyone actually know what happened here? What I can piece together is:

1. Wildire isn't happy with the deal and sues FSG and Lemieux Group

2. Parties settled (I assume Wildfire gets a little more money)

3. Lemieux Group covers the legal fees (this makes sense, it was their partner that sued)

4. Mario is butt hurt about something, $4-$5 million per Madden and hurt feelings

What is missing? If he expected more shares or equity why wasn't that papered?

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

OhBennyLeonard

Jul 11, 2022
Pennsyltucky
If all of this happened like you say it should have, Sid never arrives. Neither does Malkin, or MAF, or hell even Chris Kunitz for that matter.
Alternate history buff? OK, the bottoming out of the franchise would probably have been in the late 2000s early 10s instead of 8 or 9 years before, we would probably be having Connor McDavid right now and be in the midst of a 4 peat.

I love Sid and Tanger, I think Geno is great, but you can read my posts from months past about how only 3 cups during that era could have been tripled if we had a coach not named Disco and a MAF in goal that Vegas enjoyed.

Debating what happened in '93 will start to have alternate histories but I would have rather had Scotty B and his chosen successors behind the bench for the talent we had than to think oh but we would have missed out on Sid. Sid is great but Ovi and McDavid etc. are better.

• Haha
Reactions: Liberty Biberty

Vegeta

God Dammit Nappa
May 2, 2009
Capsule Corp.
Alternate history buff? OK, the bottoming out of the franchise would probably have been in the late 2000s early 10s instead of 8 or 9 years before, we would probably be having Connor McDavid right now and be in the midst of a 4 peat.

I love Sid and Tanger, I think Geno is great, but you can read my posts from months past about how only 3 cups during that era could have been tripled if we had a coach not named Disco and a MAF in goal that Vegas enjoyed.

Debating what happened in '93 will start to have alternate histories but I would have rather had Scotty B and his chosen successors behind the bench for the talent we had than to think oh but we would have missed out on Sid. Sid is great but Ovi and McDavid etc. are better.
Remind me, how many cups does McDavid have again?

How about Ovi?

And don't you dare say Sid has had better teams than them, especially Washington. That team was stronger than us on paper for many, many years.

Last edited:

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
The Spamket.

I better get that trademarked fast.

You just know he has one already…

81DMT5WDvjS.jpg

It's like a Snuggie... except made out of Isalys!

My next music project is definitely gonna be called Ham Blanket. That's for sure.

Cover of your album??

81DMT5WDvjS.jpg

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

OhBennyLeonard

Jul 11, 2022
Pennsyltucky
Sergei Zubov says Hi
Shoot Sergei! Shoot! lol I remember chanting that!
So I guess we agree since Mario's good "it was a country club" buddies Jagr et. al. went golfing after losing to --wait for it--that dynasty juggernaut Toronto on May 17 as Zubov was playing for another two weeks before hoisting the cup (for every Pittsburgher's favorite rival Dallas). Funny how Mario insisted he knew more than Zubov about powerplays but Sergei retired with just as many rings he got NOT in Pittsburgh. hmmmm.
Remind me, how many cups does McDavid have again?

How about Ovi?

And don't you dare say Sid has had better teams than them, especially Washington. That team was stronger than us on paper for many, many years.
The post you were replying to held that Mario stayed in his lane and let Bowman be Bowman as Pittsburgh took home the cup 5-6 maybe even 7 times before the strike year mid aughts. With Larry Murphy staying and Zubov etc. staying on. Maybe even having Jagr stay and without all the financial problems for the franchise.

If that came about another poster commented we would have missed Sid, MAF and Malkin in the draft, and that is all true (would've missed Ovi too so my mention of him was just reminding us all Sid is not "the" best, there are other players that looking back we could have drafted on his alternate timeline). If Bowman stayed our down years would have been around 2011-2016 range and I'd like to think a McDavid (or someone like him) with Bowman consulting and Mario involved would have taken us back to the finals by now.

Even if that draft didn't come about we would still be a regular playoff contender so the franchise would have been a ton more successful than it has been since 2017 and the total of 7 cups from 91 through 2004 would be a better total than the "rescind the Bowman offer" Pens total of 5. That is worst case. Best case is as I said earlier a current 3 peat with the next big star and a chance for 4 in a row next season instead of a decade of rebuilding.

Last edited:

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
So I guess we agree since Mario's good "it was a country club" buddies Jagr et. al. went golfing after losing to --wait for it--that dynasty juggernaut Toronto on May 17 as Zubov was playing for another two weeks before hoisting the cup (for every Pittsburgher's favorite rival Dallas). Funny how Mario insisted he knew more than Zubov about powerplays but Sergei retired with just as many rings he got NOT in Pittsburgh. hmmmm.

The post you were replying to held that Mario stayed in his lane and let Bowman be Bowman as Pittsburgh took home the cup 5-6 maybe even 7 times before the strike year mid aughts. With Larry Murphy staying and Zubov etc. staying on. Maybe even having Jagr stay and without all the financial problems for the franchise.

If that came about another poster commented we would have missed Sid, MAF and Malkin in the draft, and that is all true (would've missed Ovi too so my mention of him was just reminding us all Sid is not "the" best, there are other players that looking back we could have drafted on his alternate timeline). If Bowman stayed our down years would have been around 2011-2016 range and I'd like to think a McDavid (or someone like him) with Bowman consulting and Mario involved would have taken us back to the finals by now.

Even if that draft didn't come about we would still be a regular playoff contender so the franchise would have been a ton more successful than it has been since 2017 and the total of 7 cups from 91 through 2004 would be a better total than the "rescind the Bowman offer" Pens total of 5. That is worst case. Best case is as I said earlier a current 3 peat with the next big star and a chance for 4 in a row next season instead of a decade of rebuilding.

I suggest you watch this movie

Reactions: Vegeta

Vegeta

God Dammit Nappa
May 2, 2009
Capsule Corp.

This is all just wild speculation, that, not to insult you, reads like a fanfic.

Bowman oversaw the 1992-93 debacle. He wasn't some magical king-maker for us.

Two of our arguably most talented teams of all time lost to the Islanders and the f***ing FLORIDA PANTHERS that decade.

And those Red Wings teams from '96-03 were supremely talented, and would most definitely had prevented the Pens from going on the streak that you are saying they would have gone on, even without Bowman being their coach. The Avs as well.

As for the financial debacles, they had ZERO to do with on ice success, and everything to do with Baldwin mismanaging his money, like green-lighting Sudden Death. We'd be collapsing by 1999 regardless.

The only financial impact Lemieux had on this team was saving this franchise from becoming the Bulldogs or the Scouts.

Also, Crosby is a better player than Ovechkin. Ovechkin might get the goals record, but Crosby is better at every other aspect of the game (edit except hitting, which isn't that significant of a skill for to top line player, imo.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
This is all just wild speculation, that, not to insult you, reads like a fanfic.

Two of our arguably most talented teams of all time lost to the Islanders and the f***ing FLORIDA PANTHERS that decade.

And those Red Wings teams from '96-03 were supremely talented, and would most definitely had prevented the Pens from going on the streak that you are saying they would have gone on, even without Bowman being their coach. The Avs as well.

As for the financial debacles, they had ZERO to due with on ice success, and everything to do with Baldwin mismanaging his money, like green-lighting Sudden Death. We'd be collapsing by 1999 regardless.

The only financial impact Lemieux had on this team was saving this franchise from becoming the Bulldogs or the Scouts.

Also, Crosby is a better player than Ovechkin. Ovechkin might get the goals record, but Crosby is better at every other aspect of the game.
Crosby is a better player I agree. Better at every other aspect besides goal scoring?.. He's a better hitter?

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Does anyone actually know what happened here? What I can piece together is:

1. Wildire isn't happy with the deal and sues FSG and Lemieux Group

2. Parties settled (I assume Wildfire gets a little more money)

3. Lemieux Group covers the legal fees (this makes sense, it was their partner that sued)

4. Mario is butt hurt about something, $4-$5 million per Madden and hurt feelings

What is missing? If he expected more shares or equity why wasn't that papered?
Yup. Doesn’t really add up, the only thing I could see is if the money is in escrow and there’s a battle over if certain conditions have been met or something and Mario thinks it’s ticky tacky?

Hard to say from here though. Ownership infighting is pretty Redskins-esque so not what I really wanted to hear.

OhBennyLeonard

Jul 11, 2022
Pennsyltucky
Appreciate your insights, despite the fanfic nature of it interesting to discuss because the Pens are once again at a major crossroads.

Put yourself behind the bench in the winter of 92 and into 93, Mario reportedly is telling ownership you are out as coach, you actually think your going to give it your all. I seriously believe Scotty B was phoning it in by the playoffs that year, remember he rejected ownerships offer before having it rescinded.

It wouldn't surprise me if an insider came out and admitted Scotty B was all agreed (short of a signature) for Detroit by March or April that year, so yes 93 was a debacle but could it have been because the team's star and coach were pulling different directions? I do blame Bowman partially for that but how else can anyone explain a round 2 exit to the Islanders, Al Arbor's last hurrah?

See above about the Islanders and yeah I agree we should have beat Florida in 97 (should have beat a few teams in the 2nd round a few years then too). But it seems we agree on this, great first line, a few good defenseman, a duo of good to great goal tenders . . . once again its the coach that is the weak link, basically Mario was trying to be the coach with the likes of Eddie Johnston and such behind the bench.

The Redwings were loaded, but so were the Penguins and Murphy would have stayed in Pittsburgh add Mario being accepting of Zubov (Dallas was almost as successful as the Avs during that period) and now the only difference is who has Bowman and his brain trust behind the bench?

Besides Bowman would have been GM by then, so loaded is wherever Scotty B be.
As for the financial debacles, they had ZERO to do with on ice success, and everything to do with Baldwin mismanaging his money, like green-lighting Sudden Death. We'd be collapsing by 1999 regardless.
Great point, but we all know if Bowman, Zubov and Murphy (and beyond 2001 Jagr) stayed the money would cover up a lot of stupid in the owners box. To paraphrase Warren Buffett, only when the low tide (tough times) come do you see who 'lost his shorts', if Pittsburgh is SRO with overflow crowds up and down the lower hill for 5-6 weeks every summer and Lemieux and Jagr jerseys outselling Michael Jordan world wide Baldwin could have been borderline r***ed and still made buckets of coin.

Finally I have a hard time seeing Bowman and his hand picked assistants allowing any collapse by 99 or ever, besides we didn't collapse until 2001-02, the Pens were in the ECF in 2001.

Also, Crosby is a better player than Ovechkin. Ovechkin might get the goals record, but Crosby is better at every other aspect of the game (edit except hitting, which isn't that significant of a skill for to top line player, imo.)
Interesting points, but on the Scotty stays in Pittsburgh timeline I doubt we would have ever gotten Ovi.

Mario did a ton of good and did save our hockey legacy. I just wish he stuck to what he was good at, reading these posts I am reminded how some old timers in the 90s pointed out how our coaching staff was basically determined on whoever was the best 'yes men' for Mario. All while Murphy, Zubov etc. went with winners after 93.

lol @ fanfic, I always thought of this as more the military college studies, "a whole semester on the Peloponnesian War?!?!" yep cause history repeats itself. But hey maybe it is all fanfic after all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad