News Article: Lemieux Basically Had No Involvement Because of Lawsuit Against FSG, Now Settled

metalan2

May 30, 2008
So that's why he wasn't visible at all. The entire season was in complete limbo because of financial details not being set.

Basically no ownership this year and now that's over with. Mario is back in the mix, and FSG is now going to be visible.

This year was lost, but they now have management again.

I don't know about you, but this is all a relief to hear.

Reactions: Giskard

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This is the gist of it:

"A financial dispute was the reason why Lemieux distanced himself from the team over the past year, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. A group of Penguins minority owners sued Lemieux and fellow former team co-owner Ron Burkle, accusing them of pushing the deal with Fenway Sports Group without their input. Lemieux and Burkle handled the attorney fees (the suit was settled) but figured that they would get more equity with FSG. Neither side could come to an agreement, however."

So I don't think anyone did anything wrong here, just sounds like some bullshit legal stuff from the Penguins minority owners when Lemieux and Burkle sold the team.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Yeah, Mario really made some questionable decisions over his final years.

Sure, have him attend some games, but I don’t want him involved with the management of the team.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Regardless if you think it is good Mario is or isnt involved, it is more to the point that there IS a leadership group in place that gives a shit.

This past season was one of zero accountability or input from anyone in upper management. This at least points to there is an upper management and explains this lost season a bit better.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Regardless if you think it is good Mario is or isnt involved, it is more to the point that there IS a leadership group in place that gives a shit.

This past season was one of zero accountability or input from anyone in upper management. This at least points to there is an upper management and explains this lost season a bit better.

We will see if it that is beneficial. Some times it’s nice for ownership to shut the f*** up and let management do their job.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I guess that’s why Beeston was adamant as he was about Lemieux coming back and being involved. Interesting. Good news for all then. Mario’s expertise plus FSG’s views on analytic driven decisions could be good.
His expertise led to him hiring Hextall.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Why would Mario want to be involved in the tail end of a dynasty, and a rebuild?

He cashed out and sold high! FSG isn't going to give him enough stake in the game for him to help.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

OhBennyLeonard

Jul 11, 2022
Pennsyltucky
Mario didn't fire JR or Sully after 2020 and then proceeded to hire Hextall after JR did this team a favor and quit.

I don't really give a shit whether Mario is involved anymore tbh.

Yeah, Mario really made some questionable decisions over his final years.

Sure, have him attend some games, but I don’t want him involved with the management of the team.
Before all those the one that will never stop baffling me is the inexplicable rescinding offer to Scotty Bowman and then not matching PizzaMans offer to bring Bowman to "hockeytown", all because team captain Mario didn't like Bowman's style. Larry Murphy bails and helps Scotty win three cups and contest for another while Mario and Jagr are winning all the awards and letting teams like Florida beat them in the ECF through 2001.

If Mario could admit that he just might be the 2nd or 3rd smartest guy in hockey Scotty could have won 5 or 6 cups with the Penguins and Murphy before 2002. Jagr might even have stayed on since the money would be rolling in to cover his gambling addiction.

As flawed as Mario's judgment might be in the 21st century the fact that somehow he couldn't stay in his lane and get along with Bowman (and by extension Larry Murphy) in 1993 and beyond probably cost this franchise the NHL bestowing it official dynasty status along with the half dozen cups by the time Sid arrived.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Actions speak louder than words.

Can/will they finally step in and put the axe to Sully’s throat….

We’ll see. Although, quite frankly… I ain’t holding my breath.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Before all those the one that will never stop baffling me is the inexplicable rescinding offer to Scotty Bowman and then not matching PizzaMans offer to bring Bowman to "hockeytown", all because team captain Mario didn't like Bowman's style. Larry Murphy bails and helps Scotty win three cups and contest for another while Mario and Jagr are winning all the awards and letting teams like Florida beat them in the ECF through 2001.

If Mario could admit that he just might be the 2nd or 3rd smartest guy in hockey Scotty could have won 5 or 6 cups with the Penguins and Murphy before 2002. Jagr might even have stayed on since the money would be rolling in to cover his gambling addiction.

As flawed as Mario's judgment might be in the 21st century the fact that somehow he couldn't stay in his lane and get along with Bowman (and by extension Larry Murphy) in 1993 and beyond probably cost this franchise the NHL bestowing it official dynasty status along with the half dozen cups by the time Sid arrived.
Sergei Zubov says Hi

Liberty Biberty

Nov 15, 2010

If all of this happened like you say it should have, Sid never arrives. Neither does Malkin, or MAF, or hell even Chris Kunitz for that matter.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
It's a business. It's a business that is losing a great many supporters. What do you do after a bad season with even worse seasons ahead peaking up over the horizon... With aging star's at fractions of their youth skillfulness... you make excuses.
This is a bubble gum plug.

As if the team had no management all year.... what a joke.
But they can't just admit 'we will be terrible for years, please don't stop paying us your money'.

Discern reality from propaganda.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad