Leland Irving

BigAl

Oct 3, 2002
Visit site
I'm surprised he doesn't get much discussion on these boards, especially with the numbers he is putting up so far this season. In 9 starts he has 3 shutouts, a 1.11 GAA, a .953 SP, and sports a 7-1-1 record. I'm fired up about him, and I hope (and think) he is Canada's goalie at the world juniors, although I don't remember his name being thrown around much when everyone was discussing team Canada's roster in an earlier thread. How about now people?

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
me from June 24th

Irving is the best goalie in this draft.

me from July 8th

Irving is the best goalie from this draft, bar none. He has sick reflexes and plays a similar game to Cam Ward (another WHL player).

I also think he will be a better pro goalie than Carey Price. This kid is just an unreal talent who has a super strong mental game already.

Lunatik*

before the Flames drafted him i didnt know much about him... i'm not a huge fan on junior hockey so this happens alot with anything beyond mid first round picks... but i kept hearing how he was the best goale in the draft... Sutter didnt hug him or anything like he did Phaneuf... but he was alot more excited than he normally about drafting someone... and IMO getting the top goalie in teh draft at that late of a pic is HUGE

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
and after this people will say that it's always habs fans that bring their prospect into those type of thread.... :banghead:

no one has complained now;) but that war is over as far as i'm concerned. my habs bashing days are over. the next time i say something about a habs player its going to be my real opinion of the player. not just an opinion based on me hating the habs. im sorry, but i do.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
I hope he gets a shot at the WJC team, he has been outstanding out west from what I hear. I am with HFF though, I think he was the best goalie in the draft, and that is no small victory as there were some very nice goalies taken in the first round this year.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Irving is an interesting prospect to say the least. It will be neat to watch the Team Canada goalie position come December and see where he fits in the fix. His numbers are suberb though and it will be fun to see how long he can keep playing that well.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
cheering my habs since 1909 ... :dunce:

lol. you see my point here. people doesnt hate the habs because you have won alot of cups. none of you had anything to do with those cups anyway. and most of you probably wasn't habs fans the last time they won either. could be wrong. i have no idea when the last time the habs won was. and personally i dont hate the habs fans. i just disagree with things you saiy every once in a while.

sticknrink

Aug 17, 2006
London
before the Flames drafted him i didnt know much about him... i'm not a huge fan on junior hockey so this happens alot with anything beyond mid first round picks... but i kept hearing how he was the best goale in the draft... Sutter didnt hug him or anything like he did Phaneuf... but he was alot more excited than he normally about drafting someone... and IMO getting the top goalie in teh draft at that late of a pic is HUGE

The best goalie int he draft typically goes from the 20-30 position. It's only unless he's incredibly hyped and overshadows the other players would they go top 10 (or if you're an idiot like Milbury picking Dip.)

Nonetheless, Calgary did well picking Irving. I really don't know about Bernier and TBay seems to have went through the "when in doubt, pick the best fin G".

After Berglund there was really no other possible impact forwards left imo. BPA is Irving.

Of course, he wont' be as good as Cory Schnieder :yo:

Last edited:

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
Wow, you just think that everyone hates you, don't you? :biglaugh:

We are not only homers, we are emo too! :sarcasm:

As for Irving, at this rate it wouldn't surprise me at all if he sticks with team Canada, possibly as the starter too... No idea why he fell seriously.

TBay seems to have went through the "when in doubt, pick the best fin G".

Well, it's a proven philosophy.

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
Sick numbers indeed

As for the starter JOb I think Bernier and him shoulb be the top candidate. I've seen a lot more of Bernier that Irving... so I can'T really be a good judge here... but Bernier is Insanely quick... so I guess it'll be fun to watch who gets the call:dunno:

Phanuthier*

I'm surprised he doesn't get much discussion on these boards, especially with the numbers he is putting up so far this season.
He gets alot of follow on the Flames board, but there's almost no Flames posters here, so you probably won't get alot here.

There's a couple Flames prospects with real hot starts. Lelande Irving, JD Watt, Dan Ryder, Matt Pelech, Dustin Boyd...

Defense_1st

Jun 2, 2006
Wpg,Canada
I'm surprised he doesn't get much discussion on these boards, especially with the numbers he is putting up so far this season. In 9 starts he has 3 shutouts, a 1.11 GAA, a .953 SP, and sports a 7-1-1 record. I'm fired up about him, and I hope (and think) he is Canada's goalie at the world juniors, although I don't remember his name being thrown around much when everyone was discussing team Canada's roster in an earlier thread. How about now people?

Yes he does look good......anyone tell me how Pavelec is doing?

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
He gets alot of follow on the Flames board, but there's almost no Flames posters here, so you probably won't get alot here.

There's a couple Flames prospects with real hot starts. Lelande Irving, JD Watt, Dan Ryder, Matt Pelech, Dustin Boyd...
Pelech with two points tonight, that's 10 points in ten games for the young blueliners. You forgot Bust Kris Chucko as well who has 4 points in as many AHL games. The guys game seems alot more suited to the pro style then College hockey where he was playing.

Along with Irving, Lalande of the Bulls is off to a good start as well.

Phanuthier*

Pelech with two points tonight, that's 10 points in ten games for the young blueliners. You forgot Bust Kris Chucko as well who has 4 points in as many AHL games. The guys game seems alot more suited to the pro style then College hockey where he was playing.

Along with Irving, Lalande of the Bulls is off to a good start as well.
Dang, they shoulda taken Schremp and Dan Bertram.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Sick numbers indeed

As for the starter JOb I think Bernier and him shoulb be the top candidate. I've seen a lot more of Bernier that Irving... so I can'T really be a good judge here... but Bernier is Insanely quick... so I guess it'll be fun to watch who gets the call:dunno:

what about price. is he not one of the top candidates.i think price will definitely make the team. and bernier and irving will fight for the last spot.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Yes he does look good......anyone tell me how Pavelec is doing?

not very good according to stats. 3.69 gaa and 87.3 sv%. the Q looks more offensive then ever this season. bernier has the best gaa with 2.90:eek:. most of the goalies has everything from 3.50 to 5.50. thats high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad