Confirmed with Link: Leland Irving to Helsingin Jokerit

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

Kentti

Oct 5, 2012
Very cool. I'm beginning to enjoy following the Jokers.

And good for Irving - it may not be the NHL but it seems to be a place where people will notice and hopefully give him the full chance he deserves.

Playing in Finland could be a good thing for Irving. If he can stay with Jokerit beyond this coming season, he could be playing in KHL next year as Jokerit will be a KHL team starting season 2014-15.

But there has been a lot of great goalies that have come from the Finnish Elite League. Tim Thomas played for Jokerit in 2004-2005 lockout season. Other goalies that have played in the FEL include Miikka Kiprusoff, Tuukka Rask, Niklas Bäckström, Pekka Rinne, Kari Lehtonen (for Jokerit), etc.

So playing in Finland could be a good thing for Irving. Goalie development in Finland is world-class.

Kentti

Oct 5, 2012
Maybe the Flames should move all of their goaltending prospects over there.

Maybe. :laugh: But Irving is only 25, his best years as a goalie are ahead of him.

ifkjokerit3182013-3.jpg

ifkjokerit3182013-6.jpg

ifkjokerit3182013-15.jpg

NPI_D423910.jpg

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I love those Jokerit uniforms.

edit: I thought they looked different so I googled it and this is easily the best looking uniform they have had in a while IMO. I am not a fan of the blue uniforms and I am very pleased they went away from the Florida Panther style uniform they had been using.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I love those Jokerit uniforms.

edit: I thought they looked different so I googled it and this is easily the best looking uniform they have had in a while IMO. I am not a fan of the blue uniforms and I am very pleased they went away from the Florida Panther style uniform they had been using.

So do I. I have no idea what they were thinking in the mid-90's.

If you like the current Jokerit uniforms you would have loved what the old Djurgardens and Colorado Rockies wore.

Side note: The Jokerit "whites" look a lot like the original Kansas City Scouts home uniforms (The ones with the logo that was deemed to look too much like Chicago's).

SaneQ

May 14, 2012
Finland
Jokerit are heading off to Germany to play their last two games of European Trophy before the start of the season. Here are the dates:

05.09 Adler Mannheim - Jokerit
07.09 ERC Ingolstadt - Jokerit

Hopefully the team plays well and Irving continues his shutout streak :)

Kentti

Oct 5, 2012
If you're interested, here's Irving's last week's shoutout game against HIFK, the whole game (excluding 5 minutes from the beginning).

Last edited:

SaneQ

May 14, 2012
Finland
Third period starting against Adler Mannheim and Jokerit is leading 0-1. Irving hasnt let a goal in for 160 minutes now, thats sick!

EDIT: Just when i finished writing this he let in a goal... Damn me. He was over 170minutes without letting a goal in.

Last edited:

Kentti

Oct 5, 2012
Of course he becomes a good goaltender after we let him go. >:|

Well, he's playing against teams that are not NHL caliber and against players who are far behind NHL players in almost every way.

Last edited:

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Well, he's playing against teams that are not NHL caliber and against players who are far behind NHL players in almost every way.

Maybe not but it sounds like it's still above the AHL.

If I was Brian Burke my first call would be to Troy Ward saying, "Hey - that Irving is doing pretty good. About your future with the organization..."

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA

If I was Brian Burke my first call would be to Troy Ward saying, "Hey - that Irving is doing pretty good. About your future with the organization..."

I would love it if Burke began an ongoing antagonistic relationship with Troy Ward and called him every day to remind him that his job was on the line to troll him.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Ward reports to Conroy now, guys. Conroy reports to Feaster, and then Feaster to Burke. It would be bizarre for Burke to talk directly to Ward over specifics.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Ward reports to Conroy now, guys. Conroy reports to Feaster, and then Feaster to Burke. It would be bizarre for Burke to talk directly to Ward over specifics.

I know, I know, but Ward is my least favourite person in Flames management and coaching, and having Burke go after him all the time would be priceless.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

Not really. Burke cannot completely remove himself from areas of the operation for which he's ultimately responsible and I wouldn't want him to. He can talk to Ward with Conroy's knowledge and permission (At least this has been the practice in hierarchies in which I've worked). What would be inappropriate would be significant conversations held and decisions made behind Conroy's back.

If and when it comes to firing Ward then yes, Conroy would have to be the one doing the grunt work.

Kentti

Oct 5, 2012
Highlights from yesterday's Irving's game against a German team Adler Mannheim in an European Trophy game. 41 saves on 42 shots. Next game tomorrow.

Kentti

Oct 5, 2012

I don't know if it's above AHL, maybe a bit. Jokerit has one of the best defenses in the Finnish Elite League, if not the best, so Dmen make Irving's life easier and the shots Irving faces are generally not that dangerous.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
I don't know if it's above AHL, maybe a bit. Jokerit has one of the best defenses in the Finnish Elite League, if not the best, so Dmen make Irving's life easier and the shots Irving faces are generally not that dangerous.
True the Jokerit defense is making Leland's job easier but still awesome start from him. I really hope they will get him signed the whole season.

Edit. Irving rests today's game as Jokerit lost the chances to advance to the European Trophy final games.

Last edited:

SaneQ

May 14, 2012
Finland
Home opener just ended against rival HIFK and Leland Irving again in goal with a shutout... This guy is amazing! Game ended 3-0.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00