Leipold: I wish we hadn't traded for Hanzal

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
I don't read it as blaming Hanzal, just general disappointment. They gave up future assets and ended up doing worse. That's not a great deal even if Hanzal was good for them.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Presumably every GM who trades for a rental and then doesn't win the cup regrets trading for said rental.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
http://www.tsn.ca/wild-owner-i-wish-we-hadn-t-traded-for-hanzal-1.755283

Personally I don't think Hanzal was the reason Minnesota lost in the playoffs and I wonder if Leipold's comments will have any impact on future UFA's who might want to sign with the Wild?

I don't think it will have any effect on that at all.

I read this as both Hanzal and the Wild having a mutual understanding that Hanzal will not be coming back. Of course he's going to be disappointed with that, when you look at what we gave up, and the fact that we were bounced in the first round.

Hanzal played well here, I'm sure the two sides respect each other.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
TDL is overrated. Giving up a 1st for a rental is pretty stupid. That vet, ven if really good, will take 15-20 games to get used to systems and really have an impact. Most times, that is too late

Thats why E.Staal was meh in NY but good with Wild. Took him some time to adjust

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I don't read it as blaming Hanzal, just general disappointment. They gave up future assets and ended up doing worse. That's not a great deal even if Hanzal was good for them.

Also, he likely knows that was his team's best shot at a Cup. With the ED coming up and Minny going to lose 1 good player off their roster, losing those draft picks, plus the injury issues of Parise, the Wild might just be a good team, but not a cup contender.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
TDL is overrated. Giving up a 1st for a rental is pretty stupid. That vet, ven if really good, will take 15-20 games to get used to systems and really have an impact. Most times, that is too late

Thats why E.Staal was meh in NY but good with Wild. Took him some time to adjust

If it works, it's not stupid at all. Therefore I don't think it's stupid if the team thinks a rental gives them a better chance to win a cup.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I'd be pissed too if I traded a 1st, 2nd, and 4th for a guy to play 25 games for my team. Though he should have know he was trading for a guy about to hit UFA so he should blame himself. The only way this trade would have been worth it is if they won the Cup.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
If it works, it's not stupid at all. Therefore I don't think it's stupid if the team thinks a rental gives them a better chance to win a cup.

It doesnt work out more times that it does work out. And even if it does work out and your team wins the cup or makes in far- its likely they would have done the same without that player or with a cheaper alternative

Getting vets at TDL can help a team but the actual help is typically far from whats expected, aka how they were playing on their former team

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I have to say it is kinda funny to hear a GM say what he's actually feeling.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I have to say it is kinda funny to hear a GM say what he's actually feeling.
It was the Wild owner who said this, not Chuck Fletcher.

Although Leipold does have a history of saying something stupid. In July 2012 after they signed Parise and Suter he was asked why did they get 12 years contracts knowing there would be another lockout, he said it was ok since it was his team who was doing it and still said the players needed to make a lot less.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Can't blame them for the move. At some point you have to make a risk. They have a deep prospect pool and they were a Cup contender.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
It doesnt work out more times that it does work out. And even if it does work out and your team wins the cup or makes in far- its likely they would have done the same without that player or with a cheaper alternative

Getting vets at TDL can help a team but the actual help is typically far from whats expected, aka how they were playing on their former team

It's worked for my team. It was totally worth it. I have nothing else to add.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
It's worked for my team. It was totally worth it. I have nothing else to add.

Good for your team. Most of the good trades were long term deals with players already signed. Did Doug Murray for 2nds really work out for you?

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It's a bit disingenuous imo, since he pretty much had to do something because the team was starting to falter after a blazing first half of the season. If he did nothing and kept his picks, and the Wild got knocked out of the first round, it would have looked really bad on the GM. It's also really hard to tell exactly what is the right move, and you can't do much better than take the gamble he did. Hanzal was the best player traded at the deadline imo. If they would have got Eaves, Iginla, etc instead, it wouldn't have been the move to push Minny to the 2nd round.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
It was a bad trade, they needed a top line difference maker game breaker not another 2nd or 3rd liner. The Wild were not a cup contender, they were a team that made the most of what they could in the regular season.

They probably deserve a top 3 draft pick but the draft system as it's designed doesn't benefit them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad