Leicester, from EPL champions to Championship in just 7 years

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Success is sometimes short lived.

Championship team in disquise, surprised everyone and won the premier league with the tinker man.

Stayed up for 8 years, in disquise..
or maybe not, i dunno.

Fact is, they fell quickly.
I dont see a quick promotion

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Crazy.

Prem winners, FA Cup winners 2 years ago, Semi finals in Europe a year ago. A quick rise to prominence followed up an equally fast fall from grace.

Yet another example of why I cannot and will not ever give a single flying f*** about the Premier League.
You don't like pro/rel?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
What’s the point?
It's the single most overwhelmingly haves-versus-havenots major sporting league in existence. Even moreso than college football. Consider: in the last 31 years, since the Premier League was established, college football has seen 15 different champions, with the most by a single team being Alabama with 6. The Premier League has had 7 total champions, with the most going to Manchester United with 14, closely followed by Manchester City with 7 and Chelsea with 5.

Basically, you can either be a bandwagoner or cheer for an irrelevant loser. Those are your options.

• Haha
Reactions: Satan and luiginb

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
#Crew96

I have nothing against soccer as a sport. Just the maniacal obsession with the Premier League and how it's being sold as though it's a competition.
It is as competitive as the rest of the leagues including CL. If not more.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
It's the single most overwhelmingly haves-versus-havenots major sporting league in existence. Even moreso than college football. Consider: in the last 31 years, since the Premier League was established, college football has seen 15 different champions, with the most by a single team being Alabama with 6. The Premier League has had 7 total champions, with the most going to Manchester United with 14, closely followed by Manchester City with 7 and Chelsea with 5.

Basically, you can either be a bandwagoner or cheer for an irrelevant loser. Those are your options.
I mean, there’s like 125+ FBS schools versus 20 (at any given point) PL sides, so even by that logic the PL would actually be more competitive.

I vent plenty against the oil clubs and the “historied” clubs in world football that think success is owed to them in perpetuity, but Leicester going down isn’t a symptom of any of that.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
They were on a very good trajectory but unfortunately for them tragedy struck their team in many ways.
They spent way too much money on players from the French league with thoughts of finding gems like Kante like they did previously. Ironically they spent a fraction of what they did back then.

30M for Daka, 20M for Soumare? Way too much for players who are squad players on a decent (mid table +) side.
This year they failed to replace goal scoring. Vardy and Iheanacho had their days.
Over spending on Tielemans, not selling him when his value was up at some point.
Too many mistakes to count.

Reactions: luiginb

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If you are compare the PL to American football then it's more like the SEC than the entire NCAA. Considered the best conference there is vs the best league. Top transfers vs top recruits. Constant coaching changes. Rabid fanbases.

Similar to the SEC is has it's phases of the top teams as well as teams that have no shot each year. Premier league started around the same time the SEC got it championship game and became the top league. Both leagues are favorites to win the NCAA title or Champions league but they don't always pull it off. They're the most hated league by all the other leagues but watched by all the neutrals even though they're the most hated.

Reactions: NJDevs26

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Yet another example of why I cannot and will not ever give a single flying f*** about the Premier League.
If there was ever a time to try becoming a new fan it's this coming year. The competition is absolutely vicious. It will never be better anywhere in the world in any league

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid

Tell us what you feel about the Bundesliga then.

Reactions: luiginb

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well 'first place' in the PL isn't a competition, at least not the last few years with Man City going full beast mode and I say this as not much of a PL fan either but with the way overseas soccer is structured, there is more to the season than just first or nothing...the Champions League spots are big money and prestige (although aside from Newcastle and their new money it's almost always the same six teams competing for that too), the Europa/Conference league spots are basically NIT and CBI-level of importance. Avoiding relegation is also its own prize, monetarily and otherwise...just ask Everton and their fans storming the pitch two years in a row over finishing 17th lol

It is a shame the Leicester fairy tale is well and truly over but they were always on a knife's edge, they were nearly relegated the season before winning the PL and even flirted with relegation for like 2/3 of the season after the PL. At least they had some other pretty decent years and won an FA Cup but could never quite get back into the Champions League. It just goes to show once again how unlikely their title was.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Tell us what you feel about the Bundesliga then.
or Ligue 1, or Serie A prior to the past 3 seasons, the La Liga duopoly, the Liga Nos triumvirate, etc... Basically every league that's not the MLS or A-League has the same issue.

BL has an uncompetitive title race (this year notwithstanding) but I'll have to dig up the thread I saw recently that showed they've also sent the largest variety of teams to European competition over the most recent stretch of time, so the rest of the league isn't quite so static.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
or Ligue 1, or Serie A prior to the past 3 seasons, the La Liga duopoly, the Liga Nos triumvirate, etc... Basically every league that's not the MLS or A-League has the same issue.

BL has an uncompetitive title race (this year notwithstanding) but I'll have to dig up the thread I saw recently that showed they've also sent the largest variety of teams to European competition over the most recent stretch of time, so the rest of the league isn't quite so static.
Yeah, Premier League, despite City's recent dominance is by far the most balanced right now.

Also not sure why use US college football as comparison because they have guaranteed turnover of talent every year due to players graduating or moving to NFL.

Last edited:

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid

The title race was all the poster in question seemed to be focused on which is why I brought up the Bundesliga. I'm not even caught up on title races myself as the Bundesliga is tied for my 2nd favorite league with Serie A behind the Premier League.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I paid very little attention to the campaign, Chelsea was awful and I lost interest.

Can someone tell me what exactly happened to Leicester this year? Their squad isn't relegation caliber, why were they so bad?

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
I paid very little attention to the campaign, Chelsea was awful and I lost interest.

Can someone tell me what exactly happened to Leicester this year? Their squad isn't relegation caliber, why were they so bad?
Their most used defensive pairing this year was Amartey-Faes with Danny Ward behind them. That might get you relegated from the Championship too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad