Injury Report: Lehner to miss the entire 22-23 season due to hip surgery

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Two things to consider if Vegas is adding anyone soon; we don't know Lehner's status beyond this year and he's signed for two more, Vegas needs to be at the cap with roster and IR players at the start of the season to maximize ACSL.

If they need to make a trade during the season for a starter they could make the cap work by shipping out Brossoit as part of a deal for an expiring contract goalie (probably not difficult as teams tend to want a replacement when you trade for their goalie) and possibly bumping the pick to a 2nd in order to get retention.

I would see how the first quarter of the season goes with Thompson and Brossoit then if a trade is needed try something like Brossoit, a low level prospect and a 2nd for Talbot 30% retained to just about even out the cap hit.

Reactions: G Backup

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Bruins fan coming in peace.

I wonder if Carey Price might be a good fit if he’s looking to continue his career and Montreal retained significant salary.
Price's knee is busted. He came back and had to exit again after a week because of it. Add that he's soon-to-be 35 and has 4 years left on his contract?

He's not going anywhere. Sounds like a reason the Habs got rid of Weber's contract is they wouldn't want 2 big LTIR contracts.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Just roll with what we have. This team needs to stop giving away picks and prospects.

At least to start the season. If they're struggling with goaltending they can look at a few options, Talbot, Reimer, a few more. At that time they could probably add a second rounder to Brossoit and make the upgrade.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
First, I doubt Price IF he returns would play anywhere but Montreal.

Second, he only played five games last season, and had one win. He played 25 the season before (plus one in AHL) and won 12. Carey Price Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com How much of that is related to mental health? How much is it an aging goalie?

Third, at $10.5m AAV, gonna need to be retained by maybe 75% (so a third team has to get involved). Carey Price Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I just don't see VGK doing that.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Just what we need - another super expensive (I assume they wouldn't retain salary past this year) always injured goalie.
as both a Habs fan and VGK fan I would love to see Price get his Cup with Vegas. While yes he is past his "prime" he is still an all world incredible goalie. he always rises in big games.

he really wont hurt MTL as he can easily retire should he so choose, and we ride out his contract on LTIR. Sadly, MTL rebuilding has no use for him now, he needs to go to a contender.

Only way this would feasibly work - is for MTL to retain 50% (which in of itself costs more than to LTIR him) and Habs in Cap hell, so Hugo couldnt do it.

Optimally, I'd love for Vegas to make that trade at the TDL then hold on to Price until the last 2 reg season games so he can make a FULL playoff run (a la TBay Kucherov cap circumvention) and then if VGK wins the cup or close to, he goes back on the LTIR citing a nagging injury (in the summer) and that would pretty much wrap up his career, where he would remain until the contract is up. VGK can easily afford to do that, Price would be the perfect fit for a playoff run. it would just depend on if he wanted to get his Cup with VGK.

MTL should expect nothing in return, as this trade would only be for Price to get his Cup.

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
A guy like Reimer with one year left at 2.25m makes the most sense (I think). I wouldn't want to move a 2nd for him, however.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
A guy like Reimer with one year left at 2.25m makes the most sense (I think). I wouldn't want to move a 2nd for him, however.
No thanks - he's basically same as Brossoit who'll likely be back early in the season. I'd just roll with Thompson and whomever, at least at the beginning

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
No thanks - he's basically same as Brossoit who'll likely be back early in the season. I'd just roll with Thompson and whomever, at least at the beginning

I wouldn't be against moving up to a third for someone they have more faith in than Brossoit but if that doesn't happen then rolling with what we have and seeing where we are in 15-20 games doesn't bother me either.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
NHL.com reports Price "unlikely to play this season". At age 35, hardly played in two years, knee not responding to treatment, he should retire. I imagine he won't due to his contract having several years remaining. Looking like LTIR.

Reactions: Crazy Cizikas

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
NHL.com reports Price "unlikely to play this season". At age 35, hardly played in two years, knee not responding to treatment, he should retire. I imagine he won't due to his contract having several years remaining. Looking like LTIR.
Yeah, he'll LTIRetire.

Orvald

Feb 24, 2015
Belgium
Yeah you are not going to find a goalie, the market is just not there. Best chance is looking at back ups with less than 40 games. Might as well roll with what you got then.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Kelly says it's a double hip surgery. 1 down, 1 to go.

Yup, Lehner is LTIRetiring. Can't see a player, especially goalie, past 30 coming back from that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad