Injury Report: Lehner to miss the entire 22-23 season due to hip surgery

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
With Weber, Lehner, & Patrick on LTIR, Vegas has 6.745,833 in cap space at 20 skaters(including Manninen, & Thompson).

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Cap problem solved. Do they sign Holtby or roll with Brossoit once he's healthy?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I had no confidence in Lehner even if he was going to be healthy. Hopefully his surgery goes successful though.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaulD

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Holtby is retiring
Forgot he's hurt and probably done. Not much else out there except for trade candidates. Varlamov not a bad option and fits under the cap but not sure they want to blow the entire cap on him with Hague deal still TBD.

Will be very interesting how they approach this. Hard to say they are just a goalie away from a Cup. Logan deserves a shot at being a #1 and if they can pull it off that would be huge for future cap management. But we know impatience and going all-in all the time is in the DNA.

• Haha
Reactions: DingerMcSlapshot

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
Cap problem solved. Do they sign Holtby or roll with Brossoit once he's healthy?
I give Thompson a shot at #1 with Brossoit as backup. Remember first season we were at one point down to 4th string goalie and went to SCF. We can wait and see how we do, it's a long season, if we're a contender at TDL just needing a goalie, deal with it then. We've traded away so many, and next year is a very deep draft, I don't want to be giving away our draft picks and/or Brisson.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Forgot he's hurt and probably done. Not much else out there except for trade candidates. Varlamov not a bad option and fits under the cap but not sure they want to blow the entire cap on him with Hague deal still TBD.

Will be very interesting how they approach this. Hard to say they are just a goalie away from a Cup. Logan deserves a shot at being a #1 and if they can pull it off that would be huge for future cap management. But we know impatience and going all-in all the time is in the DNA.
If Brossoit is headed the other way in a Varlamov trade, Hague can be signed for up to 2.5m(he really shouldn't get higher) and Vegas can go with a 23 man roster, but it'd be tight. Logan would start at backup and we'll see what happens from there.

They don't have more than 8.25M of extra space, that's the 110% summer cap limit.

Weber caphit will eat the biggest part of that.
AFAIK: the 110% summer cap hit you're referring to means how much a team can exceed the cap during the summer. That's not including any LTIR.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
If Brossoit is headed the other way in a Varlamov trade, Hague can be signed for up to 2.5m(he really shouldn't get higher) and Vegas can go with a 23 man roster, but it'd be tight. Logan would start at backup and we'll see what happens from there.

AFAIK: the 110% summer cap hit you're referring to means how much a team can exceed the cap during the summer. That's not including any LTIR.

I don't know if Broissoit going back frees up enough room for NYI for what they're trying to accomplish (Romanov, Dobson, Bellows RFA deals plus taking a stab at Kadri at ~7MM). Seems more likely to be a Varlamov for low pick/future considerations in a full 5MM cap dump for NYI, slots exactly into Lehner's LTIR 5MM for the year and isn't on the books after this year.

Thompson flourishing at 766k with 3 years on his deal...you gotta give him a chance, there could be immense surplus value generated on that.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
It just so happens the Islanders have been rumored to be looking to shed 5m-ish in cap and have 2 #1 goalies.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I don't know if Broissoit going back frees up enough room for NYI for what they're trying to accomplish (Romanov, Dobson, Bellows RFA deals plus taking a stab at Kadri at ~7MM). Seems more likely to be a Varlamov for low pick/future considerations in a full 5MM cap dump for NYI, slots exactly into Lehner's LTIR 5MM for the year and isn't on the books after this year.

Thompson flourishing at 766k with 3 years on his deal...you gotta give him a chance, there could be immense surplus value generated on that.
3-way deal with Varly->Vegas, Brossoit+low pick(s)->3rd team, then.

As far as Thompson goes, he is given a chance as backup, or maybe rather 1B to start. Go from there. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. If he sinks, that's it.

Reactions: CupInSIX

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
3-way deal with Varly->Vegas, Brossoit+low pick(s)->3rd team, then.

As far as Thompson goes, he is given a chance as backup, or maybe rather 1B to start. Go from there. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. If he sinks, that's it.

I would laugh my ass off if McCrimmon somehow stumbled into having Varlamov, Thompson + a healthy Lehner return in a deep playoff run.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Sucks for Lehner. At his size, age and injury history an extra hip surgery may be the end for his career, considering how goalies have failed to come back from that in the past. He did play his final 13 games while injured and he looked bad and you wonder if that strain played a role in needing this potential career ending surgery.

I think the team should be okay with trying Thompson and Brossoit as a tandem to start the year. It may be soon to throw Thompson in that much but I would be willing to see if they can handle around 40 games each. It may be 10 too many for each but we can try to move for a starter if needed in season. Brossoit looked mostly fine before he too played a few games injured. My big worry would be how Brossoit heals.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaulD and G Backup

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
To be sure, it's a crapshoot, but Thompson sure looked like a #1 goalie in almost 20 games at the end of the season. I have little faith in Brossoit asa #1, but as a backup he's probably OK.

If the Islanders want to dump cap and trade Varlamov essentially for nothing, I'd be fine with that route, but I'm adamantly opposed to more trading of picks/prospects for a goalie, especially before we know what we have in those already on the roster.

Reactions: PaulD

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
Bruins fan coming in peace.

I wonder if Carey Price might be a good fit if he’s looking to continue his career and Montreal retained significant salary.
Just what we need - another super expensive (I assume they wouldn't retain salary past this year) always injured goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad