Confirmed with Link: Legwand to Wings for Eaves, Jarnkrok and a cond. 3rd (2nd if we make the playoffs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Now Wonder they didn't do much of anything, even though "everyone was available".. That team is going nowhere. I wouldn't trade Mantha or Nyquist straight up for Kesler, let alone both and a first.. I wonder what the asking price for Edler was. Probably something similar.

It might have been higher. From what I read on the trade board yesterday it seems the Canucks weren't really keen on trading Edler, so who knows.

Either way I can see why the Canucks weren't that active.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
That's not even close to saying Jarnkrok was our best prospect.

“He’s certainly one of our most talented, if not the most talented prospect,†Fischer said.

“Not to take anything away from others like Anthony Mantha."

How else can you interpret that?

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Jarnkrok potentially not being happy in our organization doesn't hurt his trade value. Ok, you have to get rid of him, doesn't mean you have to unload him for an old average rental player.

And I'd say the guy we traded for who's not under contract is more likely to be gone next year than the young guy that we HAD to get rid of because he might leave (and still be under Detroits control?)

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
No, but you weren't going to get Legwand for Tootoo, Cleary, Eaves and a conditional 7th either. You have to give to get.

I don't think Legwand is the guy you do that for, though.

I'm all for giving up a prospect for an NHLer, even prospects for an NHLer, prospect for prospect (swap for needs), etc., etc. I just don't personally think Legwand is a guy you give Jarnkrok for in a perfect world. I'm over it now, though. Nothing to do or feel at this point. All we can do is watch.

Last edited:

YostisHome

Wet Bandits
May 7, 2010
Gus, Mantha and a 1st for Kesler? No wonder he's still a Canuck

Holland should have countered with Rasmus Bodin for Kesler straight up....then his counter could have been to meet in the middle. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Jarnkrok potentially not being happy in our organization doesn't hurt his trade value. Ok, you have to get rid of him, doesn't mean you have to unload him for an old average rental player.

And I'd say the guy we traded for who's not under contract is more likely to be gone next year than the young guy that we HAD to get rid of because he might leave (and still be under Detroits control?)
I'm sure Legwand wouldn't have any qualms about finishing his career with a team that he grew up watching. Helm will never play a full season, let's not beat around the bush, so Legwand wouldn't be a bad player to keep around for another year or two. Just because the guy is 33 doesn't mean he's toast and isn't going to produce. He's having a career year, 40 points in 60 games isn't anything to scoff at.

As of right now, he's the true, proven #2C for the Red Wings

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Gus, Mantha and a 1st for Kesler? No wonder he's still a Canuck

Holland should have countered with Rasmus Bodin for Kesler straight up....then his counter could have been to meet in the middle. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm pretty sure they also turned down something like Sutter + Dumoulin/ Depres + 1st from Pittsburgh. Gillis is nuts.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Mindless speculation on my part, but there's that talented 23 year old centre in the KHL, Fyodor Malykhin, who's essentially a free agent after this year. Heavy connections to Pavel Datsyuk. Might have made Jarnkrok expendable as well if the probability of landing him were strong. Of course, I don't expect that was the case, but the idea you can land a young centre to an already ridiculously deep forward corps would make parting ways easier.

Ditto if Jarnkrok wanted to bolt back to Sweden.
We can hope, right? :laugh:

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
From Red Wings Front:

http://redwingsfront.wordpress.com/...sition/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

“With all the news we’ve received, and Weiss could be OK in two to three weeks, but right now there is uncertainty,” Holland said. “That all factored into acquiring a center ice man and he is a local boy so we’re thinking if we want to keep the player beyond this year we think it’s a very reasonable to happen. He had to waive a no trade clause to come here so obviously we wanted to come home.”

Looks like Holland will try to re-sign him.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
From Red Wings Front:

http://redwingsfront.wordpress.com/...sition/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Looks like Holland will try to re-sign him.

I'm not surprised, but still.

Disappointed-gif.gif

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Most everyone has it so twisted. Everyone wants to talk about "the future" of the organization. "WTFFFF Holland y u trade Jarnkok" when he still hasn't addressed a deeper issue; Finally finding a replacement for the man that is going to be honored tomorrow night. That is going to soften the blow more than losing a guy that has a ceiling of a #2C. In the grand scheme of things Jarnkrok really doesn't mean anything. A #1C and #1D is a more pressing need than some #2C, regardless if he was the best center prospect in the system. He still was never going to be a #1C. The success of the organization didn't hinder on Jarnkrok.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Most everyone has it so twisted. Everyone wants to talk about "the future" of the organization. "WTFFFF Holland y u trade Jarnkok" when he still hasn't addressed a deeper issue; Finally finding a replacement for the man that is going to be honored tomorrow night. That is going to soften the blow more than losing a guy that has a ceiling of a #2C. In the grand scheme of things Jarnkrok really doesn't mean anything. A #1C and #1D is a more pressing need than some #2C, regardless if he was the best center prospect in the system. He still was never going to be a #1C. The success of the organization didn't hinder on Jarnkrok.

In 5 years time, having a 2C is better than having nothing, though, isn't it?

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan

Nothing can fix this team except a healthy Datsyuk and Z.

Anything short of that, and you will end up with a crummy team. It's why adding Legwand is a waste of resources. Not to mention he is turning 34 in August, and will be brought back for three years and will undoubtedly be overpaid.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
It's always amusing to see the response by fans from both teams. Reading the Nashville board, it seems they are more sure that jarnkrok is leaving for Sweden than red wings fans lol

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Finally finding a replacement for the man that is going to be honored tomorrow night.

Way too easier said than can actually be done.

#1 Dmen don't come along in the draft in the late rounds that often. You want to draft one in the upper regions of the first round. The Red Wings have done neither of this.

Your only other option is that you hope and pray one goes to free agency, but #1 defensemen simply don't reach free agency because of how important they are to their team. Ryan Suter was the last #1 Dman to hit free agency, but his heart was steadfastly set on Minnesota. When Lidstrom and Rafalski left, they were two of the top five puck-moving defensemen in the league in the span of several years. No GM will ever to be able to replace that kind of production. It's simply impossible to have a plan to try and plug that hole. Our only hope is that some of the kids turn into something.

You can't blame Holland for not replacing Lidstrom and Rafalski. It's just one of those things you can't pull off unless you tank and not produce winning teams (Of which case, you're probably fired), or come across some extraordinary luck.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
It sounds like jarnkrok won't be in the Nashville lineup right away

Though his numbers with Grand Rapids of the American Hockey League were not huge — 36 points in 57 games — he was a second-round pick and the Red Wings have been solid at developing their young talent.

“I think he’s a player who has a really good chance to compete for a job next year,” Poile said. “This kid has terrific hockey sense, great hands. He’s a really good skater and a really good competitor.”

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20140305/SPORTS02/303050163

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You can't blame Holland for not replacing Lidstrom and Rafalski. It's just one of those things you can't pull off unless you tank and not produce winning teams (Of which case, you're probably fired), or come across some extraordinary luck.

He was never going to find equals to those players.

But what he ended up with is a pile of garbage, and that's 100% his fault

-Could have had Ehrhoff in 2011, for 4 mill a year and almost no assets.
-Could have had Matt Carle for 5.5 mill and no assets.
-Could have had some balls and actually traded Filpulla or Hudler for some assets and not just let both walk for nothing. Like NSH did with Legwand.

What he did is wait til the 11th hour (months before Lidstrom retired + Stuart left) and hit the panic button, and make a terrible trade giving away a 1st for Kyle Quincey.

He also chose to sign Ian White and Carlo Colaicovo who are no longer on the team.

So yes, he made a bunch of crappy choices, or did nothing, and ended up with a crappy defense. And we absolutely could be sitting here with a better defense today if he did a better job.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I think Red Wings fans might have freaked out more if the prospect was Oullet/Sproul.

I hope Vancouver misses the playoffs and Gillis understands that he is being insane with his demands, maybe we can make a trade for Edler in the offseason. We certainly need help on D, but it's hard to come by.

The response to this trade is absolutely hilarious though. A little while ago people were all worried about Jarnkrok, starting to give up on him, saying he's not ready for NHL call-ups... and now he was the future of the franchise?? I'm Jarnkrok's biggest fan and even I know it's a long-shot he ever reaches his potential. I hope he can do well but most likely he won't become the kind of player that we thought a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad