Post-Game Talk: Legs Wide Open on the Coaching Couch

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
And he'd probably be straight up ass here too unless they were able to send Schwartz the other way in the trade.

I bet even a big guy like Andrei Vasilevskiy would suck here too if he had to learn from the blowhard as his goalie coach. Schwartz would make him play smaller than he is just like how he did it to Koskinen. The clown can't be gone soon enough.

Reactions: foshizzle

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
In the past decade:
How many goalies have we gone through?
How many head coaches have we gone through?
How many goalie coaches have we gone through?
I can’t be the only one who’s seeing this

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
Dammit. I thought that was done this year.
So $6 million wasted on Brown bonus and Neal for next year. Are even the most generous predictions for a $6 increase in the cap next season?
Think I’ve seen a few articles saying about $4MM cap increase for next year… but yeah, it’s disheartening to know we’ve already spent it.

I like Connor Brown, but I’m not thinking he’s the next 75 point Zach Hyman. Our team needs a defenseman. The Ekholm add made a huge difference last year and I think we really need a similar type of defenseman. Maybe not the same caliber, but someone very steady defensively and can at times contribute on offense.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Dammit. I thought that was done this year.
So $6 million wasted on Brown bonus and Neal for next year. Are even the most generous predictions for a $6 increase in the cap next season?
Like 4-6 mill. Foegeles contracts up, same with Brown, Holloway, Desharnais and Broberg will need new contracts and we will need to replace Janmark. All while we have like most of that raise locked to Brown who won’t even have a contract for us.

Reactions: harpoon

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
They have two #1-2 Dmen on their team do they not? Their top 9 is strong as well

This place is becoming unbearable right now. I would take a break from here for a bit lol
Lol- what? They have 2 defensemen who are emerging from their ELC. The Oilers have the two best players on the planet in years 9 and 10. If you think the Sabres and Oilers are on the same level as far as expectations go- you’re drunk

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Not gonna lie, I'm getting bored of this era of the Oilers. Don't get me wrong, McDavid and Drai are incredible players and highly entertaining but I'm getting sick of the 2 man show. It's the same old shit. Poor defense, poor goaltending, depth scoring non-existent outside of a chunk of last season.

Just 2 games in and I'm sure they'll make the playoffs but I wish this was more of a TEAM. I don't know whatever, just venting.
Just talking about being bored, with two big game players, shows how bad the org has been

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
You're missing my point.

All 16 shots could be high danger chances and your goalie statistically should still be stopping ~80% of them. That is their job. There is no excuse for a .750 save percentage in any game. Ever. It's pathetic.

What an odd take...

First: There are shots that are absolutely unstoppable. Your save percentage on those, is going to be 0.000, no matter what you do. Second there are shots that you should NEVER let in, your save percentage on those better be up at 0.997, since everyone is allowed to be human... goalies of course are less human than most. ;)... and then there is everything in between.

Second: there is no credible model of goaltending that says a goalie's SPCT should never be 0.750... with such a wide range of shot probabilities, how could that ever be true? It make no sense to ignore shot quality and the actual facts of what happened on the ice (screens, tips, blocked shots bouncing on a forwards stick, etc). Saturday night.. those first two shots were high tips... Skinner's not going to stop more than 20% of those all season. It just is what it is... and that is a very unstoppable shot.

Third: Your numbers are wrong... the best goalies in the league only stop about 68% of high danger shots. That means if all the shots were high danger, you'd be looking at an SPCT around 0.680. NHL Goalie Statistics.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Just talking about being bored, with two big game players, shows how bad the org has been
The supporting cast is already looking thin yet again. This isn't basketball where 1 or 2 amazing players can carry your team to a championship.

Kane really isn't the same player he was when he first joined, and people will point to the injury but even before that he wasn't looking so hot.

Reactions: mkatcherin00

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Think I’ve seen a few articles saying about $4MM cap increase for next year… but yeah, it’s disheartening to know we’ve already spent it.

I like Connor Brown, but I’m not thinking he’s the next 75 point Zach Hyman. Our team needs a defenseman. The Ekholm add made a huge difference last year and I think we really need a similar type of defenseman. Maybe not the same caliber, but someone very steady defensively and can at times contribute on offense.
I wonder if there's a loophole where we can trade Brown in the off season and the other team has to pay his bonus.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I wonder if there's a loophole where we can trade Brown in the off season and the other team has to pay his bonus.

No it's a bonus on this year's contract. We're stuck with cap carry over regardless.

We could rob Peter to pay Paul again next year I guess.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
What an odd take...

First: There are shots that are absolutely unstoppable. Your save percentage on those, is going to be 0.000, no matter what you do. Second there are shots that you should NEVER let in, your save percentage on those better be up at 0.997, since everyone is allowed to be human... goalies of course are less human than most. ;)... and then there is everything in between.

Second: there is no credible model of goaltending that says a goalie's SPCT should never be 0.750... with such a wide range of shot probabilities, how could that ever be true? It make no sense to ignore shot quality and the actual facts of what happened on the ice (screens, tips, blocked shots bouncing on a forwards stick, etc). Saturday night.. those first two shots were high tips... Skinner's not going to stop more than 20% of those all season. It just is what it is... and that is a very unstoppable shot.

Third: Your numbers are wrong... the best goalies in the league only stop about 68% of high danger shots. That means if all the shots were high danger, you'd be looking at an SPCT around 0.680. NHL Goalie Statistics.
The issue is not so much about whether the sv% should ever be 0.750 it is more a pattern of whether or not high danger shots are generally stopped.

I know you are a goalie so I am happy to defer to your expertise on the tips. But even if he would be expected to stop 20% that means on average he should have stopped one of the two.

But I think your numbers are off a little here, at least with respect to 5 vs 5 play. There are different systems for measuring these sorts of things but we can stick to Money Pucks method Here are the stats from last year.

Swayman for example had a HDsv% of .873. Samsonov behind a rather porous defense had a HDsv% of .868. Lats year Skinner was at .753 for the season and Campbell was at .705. This year by the Money Puck system Skinner's HDsv% is .000, meaning he has not stopped one HD shot 5 vs 5 so far.

Demko is at 1.000 and DeSmith was at .750. The sample size is small of course but the pattern is there.

Money Pucks model suggests that in his two games Skinner has let in almost 5 more goals than would be expected based on shot quality.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
It's honestly kind of funny when you think about it. It's such an Oiler thing to do on a macro level.

Preach defense, 5 on 5 play, don't beat ourselves... all summer.

2 games. Defense and goaltending get worse... much.. much worse.

This is what looks to be the Oilers this year.

5 on 5 below average
Top of the class power play.
Bottom of the class pk.
rock bottom netminding. Like ROCK f***ing bottom goaltending... rock rock rock bottom goaltending. Did I mention our goaltending blows f***ing monkey chunks?

I don't know what it is with this team, but no matter who the players are, who the coach is, how we ended the prior year, or who we are playing, the following seem to always be true to start the year with this f***ing group:

- Abysmal team defensive play
- Abysmal goaltending
- Abysmal penalty killing
- Addiction to taking lazy and stupid penalties
- Uneven and sometimes stunningly bad performances and overall work ethic
- Zero contributions from anyone not named McDavid and Draisaitl
- Finding every way possible to throw games away

It's every year, no matter what. No matter how much any of these areas were improved on or even in some cases theoretically fixed during the prior year, we end up back to basics every god damn October and have to slowly figure it out again over months. It's honestly been this way to varying degrees pretty much every season since 17-18 and I don't get it. This just doesn't happen with other teams, especially when the players causing problems in all the areas identified above have basically turned over 3-4 times in that time frame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad