TV: Legion

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Why are 100% spoiler posts even allowed on this site? I get that it's in spoiler tags, just seems like it's better suited to creating a spoiler Legion thread than including it in this one.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Why are 100% spoiler posts even allowed on this site? I get that it's in spoiler tags, just seems like it's better suited to creating a spoiler Legion thread than including it in this one.

You don't have to read it, it wasn't even a spoiler anyway. If your not caught up on the show don't come in the thread, that's pretty basic knowledge

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Kurt Russel had a flatbtop back in the days.

Im kinda with him on this one, at least make him look like it a bit... Black hair, funky hairdo...

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I really like it but I can't stand Aubrey Plaza's character. She's overacting
I'm still trying to convince myself that Aubrey Plaza is *supposed* to be terrible in this show so far? Like, she's playing a parasitic entity who's super manipulative and pretending to be David's buddy, but 1) doing a pretty terrible job of faking it, because friendship is a foreign concept the entity simply doesn't understand (it often seems confused/frustrated about how to deal with David's humanity?), and 2) if/when David realizes that Lenny/Benny ISN'T his friend, that the character will drop the lame charade and finally open up and get terrifying? I feel like this *kind of* happened in Ep5? She was definitely way less hokey buddy-buddy and way more straight-up evil.

Like, if we were to spend more time with Benny instead of Lenny, would whoever played Benny essentially play him in the same way that Plaza plays Lenny? I mean, she's just so bad in a show where everything else is so good, I feel like it has to be intentional!

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Can't believe this isn't getting more love on here. Half the thread is complaining about his look?

Jeez this is one of the best shows going on TV right now.

Legion03

Aug 4, 2014
Halifax, Nova Scotia
This is by far my favorite show I've watched since finishing Westworld, and if it finishes as strongly as it has started, it will rival it for best I've watched in a while.

Although not a big comics person, my favorite show growing up was the animated X-Men series and I've used the name Legion as my GT and pretty much everything else (including this board, obviously). I don't have any gripes with how people look compared to how characters are drawn, it's comparing comics to real people and if you made everyone look like that it would look super hokey IMO. I also don't see the problem with Aubrey Plaza, she definitely isn't dragging the show down any for me anyways.

I just love how this show is going so far and hope it finishes as strong and has at least a couple more after that. After all the Netflix Marvel stuff, which is just average to good IMO, it's nice to see someone else get a crack at it and have it go so well.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
This is by far my favorite show I've watched since finishing Westworld, and if it finishes as strongly as it has started, it will rival it for best I've watched in a while.

Although not a big comics person, my favorite show growing up was the animated X-Men series and I've used the name Legion as my GT and pretty much everything else (including this board, obviously). I don't have any gripes with how people look compared to how characters are drawn, it's comparing comics to real people and if you made everyone look like that it would look super hokey IMO. I also don't see the problem with Aubrey Plaza, she definitely isn't dragging the show down any for me anyways.

I just love how this show is going so far and hope it finishes as strong and has at least a couple more after that. After all the Netflix Marvel stuff, which is just average to good IMO, it's nice to see someone else get a crack at it and have it go so well.

I don't understand the Aubrey Plaza hate either. If she's being too over-the-top, it's because she's being asked to be. This show is extremely detailed and I can't imagine the showrunners not telling her to tone it down if they thought she was bringing too much to the role. When people don't like the performance of an obviously capable actor, maybe people should point at the director, not the actor.

HeyMattyB

Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I think there's a general anti-Aubrey Plaza vibe in pop-culture commentary right now because she's been noticeably terrible in many of her other tv/film appearances, confirming some peoples' suspicion that she's simply not a great actress.

However, I think that she has been much, much better since her character created the astral-plane-hospital-dream-dimension thing and became everyone's therapist/jailer/god in EPS 5+6. That dance/flashback scene was killing me. Her character is suddenly powerful, in charge, and having fun with it, and the on-screen results are pretty great. So yeah, I think she was essentially acting the way B/Lenny was *supposed* to be acting for the pilot and first couple of episodes (an outer-space parasite with little understanding or interest in what goes in within the brains/bodies of humans, basically slothing its way through day-to-day life).

Legion03

Aug 4, 2014
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I don't understand the Aubrey Plaza hate either. If she's being too over-the-top, it's because she's being asked to be. This show is extremely detailed and I can't imagine the showrunners not telling her to tone it down if they thought she was bringing too much to the role. When people don't like the performance of an obviously capable actor, maybe people should point at the director, not the actor.

that's just it. I don't think the director is sitting there saying "oh god she's terrible" and then running the show anyways. If he didn't think she was meeting his vision he would ask her for something different.

I think there's a general anti-Aubrey Plaza vibe in pop-culture commentary right now because she's been noticeably terrible in many of her other tv/film appearances, confirming some peoples' suspicion that she's simply not a great actress.

However, I think that she has been much, much better since her character created the astral-plane-hospital-dream-dimension thing and became everyone's therapist/jailer/god in EPS 5+6. That dance/flashback scene was killing me. Her character is suddenly powerful, in charge, and having fun with it, and the on-screen results are pretty great. So yeah, I think she was essentially acting the way B/Lenny was *supposed* to be acting for the pilot and first couple of episodes (an outer-space parasite with little understanding or interest in what goes in within the brains/bodies of humans, basically slothing its way through day-to-day life).

I haven't seen anything with her in it other than Parks and Rec, I don't think, so I guess I just don't have that view. Also agree on her getting better after David "let her out" so to speak. It's a good theory. S/he's basically been banished from the earthen plane for however long and has been living inside of David's mind for 30 years, so yeah, interest in and understanding of humans is definitely sub par...The whole show continues to get better and better, can't wait to see tonight's episode.

HeyMattyB

Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I understand that a complex show like this (with all of its "what's real vs what's not" scenes, the Inception-like dream-within-a-dream-within-a-memory setup, and psychic battles on astral planes) needs the occasional breather. It's good to slow down and patiently explain everything that is going on. Legion has done that before, I think during the end of EP4? (Where Cary is explaining the "parasite" to everyone else...) It usually feels a little jarring and awkward compared to the rest of the show, but it works.

I feel like, despite the chalk-board distractions and such, EP7 *might* have gone a little too far with the info dump (especially for the next-to-last episode of the season, which seems a little late). That said, a lot of the shots and scenes outside of the exposition ones were pretty great.

Legion03

Aug 4, 2014
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I understand that a complex show like this (with all of its "what's real vs what's not" scenes, the Inception-like dream-within-a-dream-within-a-memory setup, and psychic battles on astral planes) needs the occasional breather. It's good to slow down and patiently explain everything that is going on. Legion has done that before, I think during the end of EP4? (Where Cary is explaining the "parasite" to everyone else...) It usually feels a little jarring and awkward compared to the rest of the show, but it works.

I feel like, despite the chalk-board distractions and such, EP7 *might* have gone a little too far with the info dump (especially for the next-to-last episode of the season, which seems a little late). That said, a lot of the shots and scenes outside of the exposition ones were pretty great.

Yeah, I agree, the chalkboard thing was a bit much, and it seemed like he came to some of those conclusions quite easily with very little information. Maybe he absorbed some of the parasites knowledge when he realized he was in his own head though....other than that I thought it was a pretty good episode, any scene with Oliver is pure gold...also is there only 8 episodes? pretty short, too bad, very enjoyable. does anyone know if there's any info on more seasons?

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
The rational David directly said that he knows everything that the parasite knows he just has to think about it.

The silent movie scene was really strange, but good. That can describe the whole show really.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
This was a weird episode.

I dont get all of it thoughm isnt Lenny supposed to be David? How does Shadowking link to him?

That was confusing to me

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Finale was fantastic, such a great season and so many questions for season 2, I would be pissed if it didn't get picked up

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I'm kind of surprised about how little love this show is getting here. I figured it would be right in the wheelhouse of those who enjoyed, say, Westworld and such. It scratches a similar itch for me. Plus, all the connections to Fargo (the show).

Marval Universe/Superheroes fatigue? One reason I haven't watched any of the Netflix or CW shows

I loved Westworld, I wonder if this show could have remained the same without the X-Men mutant universe

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Just finished it. I liked it, wasn't great but still fun to watch.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
This show is so awesome. I like comic book movies/TV Shows but never got into reading actual comics, so I didn't know anything about the character coming into it. It's such a cool concept though, I really dig everything about the show/character himself. It's another show like Westworld where I feel like I will benefit from watching again.

NameInUse

Sep 27, 2017
The second season wraped a few weeks ago, but I'm just watching it now. What a great show. It's almost as weird as The Naked Lunch as TV is going to get. I hope they keep it going. 100 years from now, someone will dig this up and think what in the hell were they thinking? Lol

For those of you who haven't seen The Naked Lunch, watch it! lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad