LEGAL Streaming Options for October 8 and beyond.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Rogers Announces ‘GamePlus’ for NHL GameCenter: Exclusive Camera Angles for Mobile Users

To ramp up GameCenter, Rogers has just announced GamePlus, a new exclusive feature for the company’s mobile and tablet customers. Essentially GamePlus will bring 6 new camera angles for customers to choose from during games, bringing video replays “in less than three minutes after the action happened.”

Only select NHL games each week will feature GamePlus access, to go with select playoff games, the All-Star game and the Winter Classic.

Sky Cam sits at the 200 level in the Air Canada Centre and follows the puck red line to red line at six metres per second;
Ref Cam is on the referee’s helmet and puts fans on the ice to get in on face offs, breakaways and goals;
POV Cam spotlights the hustle from inside the blue lines and for the first time inside the players’ benches;
Star Cam tracks a single player throughout the game no matter where the puck goes;
Goal Line Cam provides a top-down view of the ice, directly above the offensive action;
MyReplay lets fans select multiple replay angles to analyze key plays during the game, including goals, power plays, penalty kills, and the ref’s tough calls.

I saw the preview last night....it's sooooo nice.

Is it only for the games at the ACC ??

guapo23

Sep 30, 2005
I am really confused.
I cut my cable tv a few years ago and watch the games online.

So i can no longer just get an nhl network account to watch all the habs games?
I live in Quebec.
Please advise...

yusuf83

Nov 27, 2013
The reason for blackouts (at least online streaming) is to protect broadcaster who has paid for the rights to these games. This game will be nationally broadcasted and it makes no sense for Rogers to allow someone else to broadcast the game. They paid exclusive rights. NHL sells online game rights separately and makes additional revenue. Rogers paid premium to get this exclusivity to protect their cable empire (ala prevent cord cutters).

I don't have gamecenter but I would assume people outside of Canada (they don't have access to game on tv) will be able to stream game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
The reason for blackouts (at least online streaming) is to protect broadcaster who has paid for the rights to these games. This game will be nationally broadcasted and it makes no sense for Rogers to allow someone else to broadcast the game. They paid exclusive rights. NHL sells online game rights separately and makes additional revenue. Rogers paid premium to get this exclusivity to protect their cable empire (ala prevent cord cutters).

I get that. But then, why Rogers isn't doing its own online broadcasting service similar to GCL? I don't want a TV cable package from them, I just want to watch the game using internet. Oh wait, is it that I need Rogers internet package then instead of Shaw, is that it?

Confused*

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
I get that. But then, why Rogers isn't doing its own online broadcasting service similar to GCL? I don't want a TV cable package from them, I just want to watch the game using internet. Oh wait, is it that I need Rogers internet package then instead of Shaw, is that it?

Confused*

Rogers took over GCL.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006

Confused*

This is because GCL was always there to supplement your cable/satellite TV service, not replace it. This is the main thing a lot of people here don't understand.

yusuf83

Nov 27, 2013

Confused*

Because they want you (and other CDNs) to use Rogers Cable subscription. I have Rogers cable tv and can watch live sports (tsn, Sportsnet, etc) through RogersOnDemand service. They tie their internet service to ability to watch this through iPad,iPhone,android platform. Since I don't have their internet or cellular plans I can't wait this through my iPad at home or on mobile service.They want you to go through.them for everything.

I think Sportsnet through their website offers streaming link. You need to have cable subscription though. Not sure though if it is available to bell and other providers

yusuf83

Nov 27, 2013
Checked sportsnet.com and looks live streaming is only available to Rogers, Shaw, and Cogeco subscribers. I think the latter two were only included because they don't compete with Rogers.

I would not have any moral issues with getting around this obstacles put up by Rogers and similar media companies. In fact these illegal services provide more value and convenience than the likes of Rogers.

Max et Guillaume

Oct 13, 2008
Vancouver
Guys,

here's my situation: I live in BC but travel to the US a lot. I was thinking of getting GCL (or just the French Package) as it allows me to watch the Habs in BC, when at home. But Rogers said that it will only work with a canadian IP address, meaning I can't stream the games when I'm out of the country...

So what are my (legal) options to stream games when not in Canada, if any?

*****EDIT***** Disregard, she was mistaken. She came back and confirmed it WILL work in the US, the streaming is unavailable in Scandinavia for some weird reason...

Last edited:

99GoHabsGo99

MontrealCanadiens200
Oct 6, 2009
Charlottetown,PE
www.youtube.com
Okay I'm confused guys.. So I live in PEI (Canadiens region) am I going to be blacked out for any games this year if I buy GCL? I looked on the website and it says No Blackouts for my area for Montreal (https://gamecentrelive.rogers.com/blackouts#ontario-east).. But It's so confusing honestly... Can anyone confirm yes or no will there be any blackouts if I bought the service?

Last edited:

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
Okay I'm confused guys.. So I live in PEI (Canadiens region) am I going to be blacked out for any games this year if I buy GCL? I looked on the website and it says No Blackouts for my area for Montreal (https://gamecentrelive.rogers.com/blackouts#ontario-east).. But It's so confusing honestly... Can anyone confirm yes or no will there be any blackouts if I bought the service?

Not until Jan 1st I think. After that you need a SNet subscription.

99GoHabsGo99

MontrealCanadiens200
Oct 6, 2009
Charlottetown,PE
www.youtube.com
Not until Jan 1st I think. After that you need a SNet subscription.

It says "All 82 games (29 of these will require a SN TV subscription with a participating TV provider* from January 1, 2015)"

So does this mean , If I bought GCL I'll get 53 games 100% no blackout Habs then the other 29 will be blacked out? because I don't have a SNet subscription?? Thanks

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Was the french stream working last night? I tried it connecting at the beginning through normal GCL (Not Rogers) and it said unavailable. Did they fix it later?

GCL wasn't great last night, started having bandwidth issues in the 2nd. Hopefully just some capacity stuff they can sort out quickly, but I had a bit of problems like this in the playoffs last year too.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I have a data plan with Rogers on my phone so apparently I get Gamecentre free until December 31, which is pretty sweet. I watched the first period of Habs/Leafs on the bus making my way home and had no issues.

Also, discussion of ANY service/streaming method that is not officially endorsed by the NHL or one of its broadcasters (Rogers, CBC, TVA, etc) is not allowed.

K9

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
I tried to watch the replay on the NHL Game Center app since the game was in the morning in my time zone but the French feed cut out after the first intermission and the English feed cut out 5 minutes into the second. I do have pretty poor internet connection though that might be it. Will say though, after 7 years and counting living out of Quebec it was nice to watch a French stream even for a little bit. Watching the Habs on the opposing teams broadcasts all the time was annoying in the past, glad there is the option to watch TVA sports now.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
I am really confused.
I cut my cable tv a few years ago and watch the games online.

So i can no longer just get an nhl network account to watch all the habs games?
I live in Quebec.
Please advise...

It is confusing for sure, and "subject to change." As it is okay to discuss people having VPNs on their computers then you could look into that as a fairly simple solution, it has worked in the past and is working this season.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
It is confusing for sure, and "subject to change." As it is okay to discuss people having VPNs on their computers then you could look into that as a fairly simple solution, it has worked in the past and is working this season.

I recommend UnoDNS, doesn't slow you down like a VPN. Works for stuff like netflix & hulu+ too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad