LEGAL Streaming Options for October 8 and beyond.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Why is it illegal for me to watch one of those "illegal" streams? I am not the one broadcasting it.

I don't think watching them it illegal. In the sense that you wouldn't get in trouble for streaming it. The person broadcasting it probably could, though.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Please educate yourself on what blackouts are in professional sports of North America and you will see that Rogers has nothing to do with them. Not only do blackout provide no benefit to Rogers, they actually hurt it financially.

As ThaDevilGirl pointed out, Rogers did its best to reduce number of blackouts overall.

Educate myself? For 5.2 billion, Rogers can absolutely dictate whether the NHL has a blackout policy. I'd like to hear how you think they are hurt financially by a blackout and why someone paying that kind of money would agree to be hurt financially.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Educate myself? For 5.2 billion, Rogers can absolutely dictate whether the NHL has a blackout policy. I'd like to hear how you think they are hurt financially by a blackout and why someone paying that kind of money would agree to be hurt financially.

Yeah, just like NBC/FOX/CBS/ESPN can tell NFL not to blackout local games if the tickets don't sell out for the 5 billion dollars they pay it annually.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006

First off, quoting a source that can be edited by anyone as evidence to a claim is silly.

Second, the NFL only blacks out games LOCALLY, whereas EVERY OTHER PRO LEAGUE BLACKS OUT ENTIRE REGIONS. I can watch any NFL game that is on TV regardless of what region it is in. I can do the same thing for baseball and basketball. Hockey is the ONLY major sport where I cannot watch Habs games because RDS shows them (I can't get English Gamecenter even). The NHL blackout is national except for one region.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
First off, quoting a source that can be edited by anyone as evidence to a claim is silly.

Second, the NFL only blacks out games LOCALLY, whereas EVERY OTHER PRO LEAGUE BLACKS OUT ENTIRE REGIONS. I can watch any NFL game that is on TV regardless of what region it is in. I can do the same thing for baseball and basketball. Hockey is the ONLY major sport where I cannot watch Habs games because RDS shows them (I can't get English Gamecenter even). The NHL blackout is national except for one region.

Newsflash:

The NFL doesn't have a presence in Canada hence you're not affected by local blackouts.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
I still think Rogers is stupid, business-wise. I want to give them my money to watch the Habs and they won't take it. VPN is the option of course for both buying and streaming, but I'd be happy to avoid the hassle and just pay for a Habs package.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I still think Rogers is stupid, business-wise. I want to give them my money to watch the Habs and they won't take it. VPN is the option of course for both buying and streaming, but I'd be happy to avoid the hassle and just pay for a Habs package.

Again, they have no say on the matter as the blackouts are imposed by the league.

I know it's a trendy thing to paint a faceless corporation evil, and I can't say I haven't been guilty of this very thing myself, but Rogers really shouldn't be blamed for the blackout policy. The league itself put it in place in order to protect its teams. Now, whether the policy itself has outlived its purpose or not is another thing entirely and is absolutely open for discussion.

But to place the blame on Rogers is narrow-minded.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I'm an old man who lacks expertise in downloading programs that aren't ordinarily free. Suppose I go on vacation in South Carolina and take a laptop computer that can connect to a resort's internet facility with an Ethernet cable. Is there any way I could pick up NHL games?

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
https://gamecentrelive.rogers.com/blackouts

Actually, starting this year, all national games will be available on GameCentre Live, without blackouts.

The first person I talked to at rogers told me that

The second one told me it was 50 habs games, and the other 32 were "to be decided" and copy pasted me a bunch of unrelated garbage AFTER I bought the service

I don't know who to believe anymore, I cancelled anyway

ExpatHabsFan

Oct 6, 2014
The first person I talked to at rogers told me that

The second one told me it was 50 habs games, and the other 32 were "to be decided" and copy pasted me a bunch of unrelated garbage AFTER I bought the service

I don't know who to believe anymore, I cancelled anyway

Just check the link, https://gamecentrelive.rogers.com/blackouts, it states exactly what you will get based on where you live. Given that that is the official website, I would be inclined to believe it over some Rogers CSR, considering how little they seem to know about any of this. Of course, you can always wait until Wednesday before deciding whether to subscribe - I'm sure there would be an uproar if the national games are unavailable.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
Want to wager? there was only 2 blacked out games all of last year. Its simply not going to happen.

I will wager, If a game is not sold out it will still be blacked out, just because the fcc says the nfl doesn't have to do it doesn't mean they won't. They will tell the tv channel to black it out or next time the tv rights are up you are done.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Waiting till Wednesday seems the thing to do, much confusion about what's streaming or not, where, in what language, and whether VPNs will work. In Taipei one payment buys all Habs games, but in Toronto it's much more difficult lol

Go Habs Go !

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
Want to wager? there was only 2 blacked out games all of last year. Its simply not going to happen.

Unless the team buys the tickets before the Thursday of the game (Ralph Wilson did this several times for Bills games), if the game isn't sold out, the game is blacked out in the local market (NFL rule).

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Just check the link, https://gamecentrelive.rogers.com/blackouts, it states exactly what you will get based on where you live. Given that that is the official website, I would be inclined to believe it over some Rogers CSR, considering how little they seem to know about any of this. Of course, you can always wait until Wednesday before deciding whether to subscribe - I'm sure there would be an uproar if the national games are unavailable.

29 of these will require a SN TV subscription with a participating TV provider* from January 1, 2015

so if I don't have cable TV with rogers, I miss 29 game right?

this is why I cancelled, they couldn't answer my question... I went with hockeystreams already

BPD Habs Fan

Power of Positivity
Jul 2, 2014
Alexandria, Ontario
Why is it illegal for me to watch one of those "illegal" streams? I am not the one broadcasting it.
It has to do with rights. In this case Rogers has the television rights to NHL games. When you buy their cable package or GCL they are extending you the right to watch the game. So it is possible for you to get into trouble for watching these streams because you have no legal right to.

Common example is when Canadians watch US Netflix, all kinds of rights violations there.

I don't think watching them it illegal. In the sense that you wouldn't get in trouble for streaming it. The person broadcasting it probably could, though.

See above

Last edited by a moderator:

ExpatHabsFan

Oct 6, 2014
so if I don't have cable TV with rogers, I miss 29 game right?

this is why I cancelled, they couldn't answer my question... I went with hockeystreams already

Depends on whether your TV provider ends up "participating". Rogers will be participating for sure, everyone else is TBA. Such parts of the deal are really up in the air. If I was in your position, I would probably be looking at options other than GCL as well.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Waiting till Wednesday seems the thing to do, much confusion about what's streaming or not, where, in what language, and whether VPNs will work. In Taipei one payment buys all Habs games, but in Toronto it's much more difficult lol

Go Habs Go !
Not sure if I'm wrong, but it seems like all Montreal Canadiens games in Toronto will not be blacked out on Gamecentre Live.

https://gamecentrelive.rogers.com/blackouts

EDIT: I see it says 29 need a TV Subscription... how does that make sense?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad