Leg Press

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...berts-shares-his-secrets-for-hockey-longevity

It's a pretty good article, he said the only time you use your biceps in hockey is if you're a fighter that has to pull another guy towards you...

Is he an exercise physiologist or a kinesiologist? If so he should go back to school. One head of the biceps crosses the shoulder joint so you use it more than you think.

3 things come to mind.
1) Shooting(lower hand in particular)
2) Lifting the stick of opposing players especially if he doesn't want his stick lifted. A lot of bicep there.
3) Faceoffs and especially reverse grip when your pulling it back.

Biceps are a big muscle and should be trained like anything else. I think someone on here just tore one playing hockey. How do you tear it if you aren't using it?

Last edited:

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
well, read the article because its not as dismissive as some people make it sound. in refrence to curls he said (which I totally agree with) that a player (or any trainee for that matter) will get much more development from doing a pullup than curls. when taken in context its not that out of wack of thinking. Although I dont know about importing special mineral water. thats kinda crazy.

Little Nilan

Oct 29, 2006
Praha
Is he an exercise physiologist or a kinesiologist? If so he should go back to school. One head of the biceps crosses the shoulder joint so you use it more than you think.

3 things come to mind.
2) Lifting the stick of opposing players especially if he doesn't want his stick lifted. A lot of bicep there.

Biceps are a big muscle and should be trained like anything else. I think someone on here just tore one playing hockey. How do you tear it if you aren't using it?

He probably tore his bicep tendon no? That's what usually happens and would make sense considering the mouvements in hockey.

Speaking of which, one of the biggest dangers, if not the biggest, of the overhand/underhand grip in the deadlift is tearing your bicep tendon. Do you use your biceps during a deadlift?

Roberts has decades of experience on top of outstanding results (and by all accounts, he's probably natural), that counts for more than a ****** kinesiology degree.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010

3 things come to mind.

Biceps are actually a small muscle and don't need "much" training. I used to be an avid competitive powerlifter and most guys who lifted for strength never did bicep work other than what you did for Rows, Pullups, or Pulldowns.

If you want to get stronger, work more on speed strength and training your triceps to increase your presses.

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA

3 things come to mind.

I've read in a few places that hockey players should avoid adding excess muscle mass in your upper body -- the added weight will slow you down. That's not to say that a player should ignore their upper body. Just know what muscles you're working on and how they will improve your game.

Anyway, with regard to hockey biceps are just window dressing. Working them will probably allow you to scratch your nose a bit quicker but that's about it. They provide such a limited range of motion, but guys will tend to isolate and build their biceps because they make him stronger. If you want to add power to:

1. Your shot -- work your core abdominals, especially with a rotation move like the woodchop. Work your legs (quads, glutes, hammies) with lunges. This is where most of your power comes from. Your triceps (your lower hand) driving your stick blade forward, the snap of your wrist and even the bend of your stick probably contribute more to your shot than either bicep muscle -- that's only used if you pull your top hand back as your lower hand goes forward.

2. Lifting an opponent's stick -- quickness and the element of surprise are far more effective in stealing the puck. But if you're mucking along the boards, again you'll be better served with strong legs and core muscles for stability. Shoulders and back, too.

3. Faceoffs -- First, unless you're a center this is irrelevant. But if you are taking faceoffs regularly then being able to pull back with power is a definite advantage. And unless you've got a solid base (legs and core) to anchor you a strong pair of biceps is useless.

As for the torn bicep you mentioned? I didn't see the thread you're talking about but if the guy in question used only his bicep to lift something heavy (opponent's stick, hockey bag etc.) without engaging his legs, core and back then it's no wonder he tore it. Major muscle groups should take the brunt of any weight, while the smaller muscles should be used primarily for providing stability. Using a small muscle like the bicep for a big load will only lead to injury.

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
I've read somewhere that leg press is not a good exercise for hockey.

Each week I've been doing leg press right after squats and lunges, but is there a better leg exercise I can replace leg press with?

And what's so bad about leg press anyway? Does it have to do with being able to exert a large force with your legs that your core can't match against?

It might depend on what kind of machine you're using. The typical leg press machine you see in gyms looks something like this:

up4Y3IjoVqD9eUSyCFMIIlvr9IVpHNmhVQ2VqMOsijrw6zP0xN4vix3r5Kcg_23JV1g563FernJ7uLd9rUcvd7p0dl0Pc_dFkkUC4BQRv6pp2TrmwdIdd189AE54rr9DHhotYPDoZuO_19Iqe3HBX-UTPfv6yQBLeIfBwCDKR4EmlLM6yWUjCLJV

Your back is braced against the seat back so that you can push the plate with your legs. Unless you really know what you're doing it's easy to set up wrong, put too much stress on your knees and back and not enough on the muscles you're trying to work.

IMO a squat is so much better for you. You keep your torso erect just like you would when you skate. It's easier to correct your form if you feel your knees are taking the brunt of the weight (should feel it in your quads). You can easily increase your workout with a weighted vest or a barbell across your shoulders. And lastly, you also engage/work more muscle groups by maintaining your balance (lateral and forward/back) through each rep.

OvenChicken8

Sep 9, 2010
Edmonton
I've found that I benefitted more from deep 1 legged, leg presses in the 15-20 rep range. Most people, like myself, would not do true a** to grass squats and you lose out on a lot if you do not do squats with good form.

Yes you will not get all the stability and control from the leg press as you would with squats, but you can always change your routine to make up for it. For example, finish off your leg days with some plyometric or stabilizing abdominal work with the large exercise balls.

Subnordi

Jul 17, 2011
New Brunswick
Biceps are actually a small muscle and don't need "much" training. I used to be an avid competitive powerlifter and most guys who lifted for strength never did bicep work other than what you did for Rows, Pullups, or Pulldowns.

If you want to get stronger, work more on speed strength and training your triceps to increase your presses.

I was reading one day and it said that 2/3 of the arm(like the part you flex) is Tricep, and the remaining 1/3 is Bicep.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad