Leg Press

NJD21

Jul 2, 2011
I've read somewhere that leg press is not a good exercise for hockey.

Each week I've been doing leg press right after squats and lunges, but is there a better leg exercise I can replace leg press with?

And what's so bad about leg press anyway? Does it have to do with being able to exert a large force with your legs that your core can't match against?

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA

Each week I've been doing leg press right after squats and lunges, but is there a better leg exercise I can replace leg press with?

And what's so bad about leg press anyway? Does it have to do with being able to exert a large force with your legs that your core can't match against?

Squats are just a better exercise for sports performance for a variety of reasons.

-You don't play hockey sitting down.
-Squats require balance and so you are using stabilizing muscles
-Squats utilize core muscles more than the leg press ie. low back and abs.

I've done both for many years and just never felt leg press was half as effective as a squat. I was never more muscular than when I was squatting heavy nor was I ever quicker/more athletic.

Sounds like you're already squatting though. I don't see why leg press in addition to squats and lunges is an issue.

I don't have that kinda time. Squats, lunges, leg curls, calves, abs, stretching= done for my lower body workout.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
There's nothing wrong with leg press it's just not as good a workout as squat. If you're doubling up, there's nothing wrong with that. I used to leg press more but I've changed up my workouts significantly to stick to lower weights and more core lately, but I used to get my leg press up over 700lbs.

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
There's nothing wrong with leg press it's just not as good a workout as squat. If you're doubling up, there's nothing wrong with that. I used to leg press more but I've changed up my workouts significantly to stick to lower weights and more core lately, but I used to get my leg press up over 700lbs.

Wow. I used to work with 5 plates on each side so 450 for sets of ~8-10. My legs are toothpicks so I was happy with that.

Like you said. Getting older and doing more hockey specific exercises that involve core/balance so no more heavy leg press.

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
I would say that leg presses are not bad, especially if you are already doing squats and other knee dominate lifts. where the leg press helps is you've done your other lifts and this lets you burn out the muscles in a safe way. the key is to mix it up and to workout in many planes. hockey is a played in multiple planes, you should train in multiple planes. dont just do back squats, throw in some front squats, some heavy dumbell squats, even heavy dumbell deadlifts. I like to finish my leg workouts with heavy db front squats (hold 1 db pinched between both hands vertically and do a couple of 20-25 rep sets) try not to puke...

TarredandFeathered*

I could leg press 950 pounds even after a long lay off from working out. What's your point?

Subnordi

Jul 17, 2011
New Brunswick
I was reading a Gary Roberts article today, and he said Bench pressing, bicep curls, and leg pressing are the 3 biggest hockey training no-no's

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
Do you have a link? Wonder what he has against bench presses and curls. Curls I'm sure don't do much but hey a bench press is like a cross check :) Not to mention the value they play in post-game action :D

I think because most people only focus on those lifts instead of using them in a part of overall fitness training.

Hey if you only do a single varation of lunge what good is that? I think its easier to say in a program for the masses to "not" do certain exercises than to explain when to use them.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Yeah I hear ya. I think the biggest lifts for hockey would be squats, deadlifts, and military presses. Which is probably why all the hockey players at my high school did power cleans non stop.

Maybe he's just trying to go against the gym crowd that thinks lifting involves bench pressing, 10 different types of curls, and then hit the leg press on the way out the door.

Little Nilan

Oct 29, 2006
Praha
I was reading a Gary Roberts article today, and he said Bench pressing, bicep curls, and leg pressing are the 3 biggest hockey training no-no's

There are no "no-no's", just improper usage of an exercise. I wouldn't base my training around those three exercises, especially for hockey, but they could have a place in a program. Nothing wrong with bench pressing anyways, it's a great exercise, even Oly lifters(for whom bench pressing can actually be detrimental) do it once in a while.

What your doing is perfectly fine, it's textbook use of the leg press. I would do them for 12-20 of bodybuilding type reps at full range of motion. I use front squats personally, because of the added glute, upper back and ab work.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I could leg press 950 pounds even after a long lay off from working out. What's your point?

My point was that my post explained that there's nothing wrong with leg pressing, besides it being redundant if you're squatting or not as good of a workout if you're not, and then saying that I did plenty of leg press myself. Kind of like "there's nothing wrong with it, I do it plenty".

The point of your post, I'm not sure of. It kind of sounds like "mines bigger, go me".

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA

No-No? That's BS and I don't care how long Gary Roberts played. They are all good sound exercises.

Bench press is a great exercise. When I'm battling in the corners or in front of the net and I push someone on their arse that's the same weight as me it's at least in part due to the fact that I've built up some upper body size/strength from lifting over the past 18 years and bench press is a big part of that.

Might there be better hockey specific exercises? Maybe, but that depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Trying to gain upper body size and strength? There isn't a better exercise.

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
My point was that my post explained that there's nothing wrong with leg pressing, besides it being redundant if you're squatting or not as good of a workout if you're not, and then saying that I did plenty of leg press myself. Kind of like "there's nothing wrong with it, I do it plenty".

The point of your post, I'm not sure of. It kind of sounds like "mines bigger, go me".

Agreed. There are other forums for bragging about how much you can lift. It's not really the point here. Hockey is more about explosive power and endurance vs. strength. Pretty sure I'm skating around all the really big dudes in the gym if they all played hockey.:laugh:

Subnordi

Jul 17, 2011
New Brunswick

flyers10

Apr 12, 2011
AZ
I'd try to incorporate some different single-leg exercises. Some you don't even need any extra weight to start due to their difficulty. Hockey is not played on 2 stationary legs so these can help a lot. Do a google search and you'll find some.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
He's not really saying they're bad so much as he's got better exercises. Makes sense. And yeah, most hockey players are pretty lean, borderline skinny upper bodies with big legs.
Yeah, he didn't mean "no-nos" by "these are bad exercises that will hurt your progress" as much as "they're a waste of your time because you could be improving much more by doing XYZ instead."

Like with the leg presses, he's right about it not being a great exercise for improving hockey-specific strength. Leg presses won't hurt per se, but you could be doing much more intense variations on squats (like the single-leg split squat he mentions) that also works your core and on your overall balance while training the muscles against forces they're more likely to encounter in a game. That has a lot more tangible benefit in a game than maxing out leg press numbers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->