Speculation: Left Side Defenseman

93Crazed101

Apr 27, 2017
Greater Dallas
Okay, so we obviously need a Top 3 guy to play left D. I don't have many thoughts on this, but Im going to list out a few ideas.

The Ducks
A lot of defensemen to protect. Maybe one becomes available.

The Hurricanes
Plethora of young defensemen. Don't know if we have enough to pry one from them.

The Blue Jackets
More than three D-Men. May see about getting one of those. Though they also have Korpisalo as bait.

The Wild
Again, very deep

The Rangers
A lot of cap tied up. Don't know if any they're willing to give up will fit with what we need.

The Sharks
Saw Vlasic's name thrown around.

The Lightning
Their D always seems to be a rumor mill, but I call it unlikely.

The Canucks
Edler, maybe? Not ideal, but may be serviceable.

Free Agency

Alzner
Not sure if he'll be worth the money.

Shattenkirk
Could be interesting. Used to play for Hitch in St. Louis. Wants a #1 role he could have in Dallas. Match made in heaven, except he's a righty. Any chance of him playing on the left side? I don't know how well that works honestly.

Players in international leagues.
Seems to be a couple of players who could step into an NHL role. Top two seems doubtful, but it may be worth the risk.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
I don't want any part of shattenkirk. I am not real big on Alzner but if price is right maybe. I like the B Smith and MDZ better. I think Ellet would be good but won't happen because of management.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Give Brendan Smith the Texas money and be done with it. Hamhuis-Smith-Lindell is a very respectable left side.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
There's still a chance NYR resign Smith, but if we could sign him that would be perfect.

Brodin would be awesome. Best case Vegas takes him and we make a trade with Vegas!

razor ray

May 8, 2011
There's still a chance NYR resign Smith, but if we could sign him that would be perfect.

Brodin would be awesome. Best case Vegas takes him and we make a trade with Vegas!

Smith is going to be a hot Free Agent. He played great in the playoffs and was smart to walk away from Detroit when they tried to get him into an extension.

He would be an incredible addition to the Dallas D. What an upgrade the D would have with Bishop, Smith, and Honka on this years roster.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
What about Jake Muzzin out of LA? Would you guys think he's available, and at what price?

The Kings will protect him in the expansion draft and he is on a good contract. Doubt they would move him.

Brodin was also brought up earlier and he will be protected by the Wild. Doubt they would move him either.

I think the best way to build the Dallas D is through the draft and maybe get lucky with a FA like Smith. After watching the Adam Larsson for Taylor Hall trade you realize how big of an asset Dmen are in the NHL.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Anything that bumps Lindell down to 2nd or 3rd pair needs to happen if Nill expects the defense to look any better. Nill's a mixed bag when it comes to identifying good defensemen - drafted Honka, poached Johns (still believe he's a solid depth defender), traded for Demers and then there's the Russell trade, Gonchar, and his belief in Nemeth and Oleksiak. Luckily the veterans have all been stopgaps and he's slowly getting rid of Dallas' league of extraordinary journeymen (Jokipakka, Jordie, Dillon, at least one of Nemeth/Oleksiak this off season I'd expect).

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Anything that bumps Lindell down to 2nd or 3rd pair needs to happen if Nill expects the defense to look any better. Nill's a mixed bag when it comes to identifying good defensemen - drafted Honka, poached Johns (still believe he's a solid depth defender), traded for Demers and then there's the Russell trade, Gonchar, and his belief in Nemeth and Oleksiak. Luckily the veterans have all been stopgaps and he's slowly getting rid of Dallas' league of extraordinary journeymen (Jokipakka, Jordie, Dillon, at least one of Nemeth/Oleksiak this off season I'd expect).

You don't see any scenario where Lindell could stay as a top pairing with Klingberg? I was just starting to think maybe a good solution for the Stars would be to keep 3rd overall and trade the anaheim pick plus whatever for a second pairing LD instead.

Lindell-Klingberg
x-Honka
Hamhuis-Johns
Oleksiak-Pateryn

I honestly have a hard time projecting Lindell and if there will be an improvement and if so how much, but then I look a the teams in the playoffs now and how good is their top pairing really?

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
You don't see any scenario where Lindell could stay as a top pairing with Klingberg? I was just starting to think maybe a good solution for the Stars would be to keep 3rd overall and trade the anaheim pick plus whatever for a second pairing LD instead.

Lindell-Klingberg
x-Honka
Hamhuis-Johns
Oleksiak-Pateryn

I honestly have a hard time projecting Lindell and if there will be an improvement and if so how much, but then I look a the teams in the playoffs now and how good is their top pairing really?

Which ones are weaker than Lindell-Klingberg?

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX

Lindell-Klingberg
x-Honka
Hamhuis-Johns
Oleksiak-Pateryn

Mike Farkas used to always refer back to Sami Lepisto when talking Lindell, and it's been salient ever since: Lindell doesn't have the tools for a top four defensemen. He's a glass cannon: great wrist shot from the point and nothing else. Forwards can get away with bad skating, but not defensemen. Plus the dude is blind to using the middle of the ice even when options are staring him right in the face.

Hitchcock is not gonna be able to fix those issues. And for some reason, Dallas keeps trying to force this narrative that he's their defacto top pairing guy. I'd almost rather protect Hamhuis over Lindell - he was good in the last half of the season and net assets at the deadline if Dallas struggles again.

Plus I just think Texas has defensemen who are better: Ludwig Bystrom and Gavin Bayreuther (Bayreuther especially) are excellent skaters, and play modern defense. Sorry; just not a fan.

93Crazed101

Apr 27, 2017
Greater Dallas
Mike Farkas used to always refer back to Sami Lepisto when talking Lindell, and it's been salient ever since: Lindell doesn't have the tools for a top four defensemen. He's a glass cannon: great wrist shot from the point and nothing else. Forwards can get away with bad skating, but not defensemen. Plus the dude is blind to using the middle of the ice even when options are staring him right in the face.

Hitchcock is not gonna be able to fix those issues. And for some reason, Dallas keeps trying to force this narrative that he's their defacto top pairing guy. I'd almost rather protect Hamhuis over Lindell - he was good in the last half of the season and net assets at the deadline if Dallas struggles again.

Plus I just think Texas has defensemen who are better: Ludwig Bystrom and Gavin Bayreuther (Bayreuther especially) are excellent skaters, and play modern defense. Sorry; just not a fan.

Highly doubt Vegas take Hamuis even is exposed. I would rather have Hamuis and Lindell than just Hamuis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad