Confirmed with Link: Lee Stempniak traded to Pittsburgh for a 3rd round pick in 2014

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I meant Stemps.

Oh ****, I'm jumping threads like a maniac. My bad.

He's been out since the Olympic break, then came back last game on a new line. Before the Olympic break, he was part of the Flames most effective line, and was a big reason they were so effective with his smart decisions.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
I meant Stemps.
He never takes a game off but scoring wise he is the streakiest player in the league. It's anyone's guess if he scores 12 or 2 for you guys in the post season. You'll never watch him have a bad game though. Overall it's hard not to like him on your team and I think it's good value for a 3rd.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Should've gotten Pittsburgh's first, or at least a second and a C prospect. Regardless, at least this clears up roster space.

Hemsky got a third and a fifth, Moulson got a second +, Vanek got a second +, and you think Burke should have managed to make a 1st out of Stempniak?

Oh wait...

I see you trolling.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Can you guys give me a quick run down of how he's been playing?

Strong to start the year, lackluster before the Olympics and then got injured. Always been a streaky player but was pretty good 2-way most of the time. We sold a little bit low on him, was probably worth a 2nd at the start of the year.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Best of luck to Lee. He never complained, he was good with the kids, talked to media, worked hard. Good fit in PIT, would've been better in BOS. Had a bit of chem with Iggy last year, can step up to 2nd line if injuries, PP help, two way FWD

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'll take the 3rd, fair market value based on his play. Wish we could of got Dumoulin or Harrington straight up though. Good trade though.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Hemsky got a third and a fifth, Moulson got a second +, Vanek got a second +, and you think Burke should have managed to make a 1st out of Stempniak?

Oh wait...

I see you trolling.

Well, considering Burke could flip Berra for a second and the weakness of this draft (Pittsburgh's first round pick will probably look like a second in most other drafts), I do think that Stempniak warranted a first this year, although getting a second and a C prospect is probably more likely. I also recognize that it was a buyer's market this year and that would've NEVER happened, but Stempniak is realistically a solid top-nine forward and a regular NHLer. In this draft, I think he deserved Pittsburgh's first (though certainly not most firsts). Peoples' expectations are just skewed by the piddling Iginla return and how solid last year's draft was.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I know part of why Hemsky got the 3rd+ was the cap retained but at this point I'd argue Stempniak is more useful and a 3rd + 4th or 2nd would have been a realistic return. That said Berra for a 2nd and not a 4th is great value so I can't be mad at Burke.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I know part of why Hemsky got the 3rd+ was the cap retained but at this point I'd argue Stempniak is more useful and a 3rd + 4th or 2nd would have been a realistic return. That said Berra for a 2nd and not a 4th is great value so I can't be mad at Burke.

I definitely would not be unhappy with a mid-to-high second for Stempniak. He's a good player having something of an off year and I think most teams realise that. Could've been moved to a team in the hunt for their second and we would've come out golden.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Well, considering Burke could flip Berra for a second and the weakness of this draft (Pittsburgh's first round pick will probably look like a second in most other drafts), I do think that Stempniak warranted a first this year, although getting a second and a C prospect is probably more likely. I also recognize that it was a buyer's market this year and that would've NEVER happened, but Stempniak is realistically a solid top-nine forward and a regular NHLer. In this draft, I think he deserved Pittsburgh's first (though certainly not most firsts). Peoples' expectations are just skewed by the piddling Iginla return and how solid last year's draft was.

Not really. Berra getting a second was about Colorado wanting him, not Burke having some kind of magical powers of persuasion. It's not as if Burke could magically wave his wand and make a market appear for Stempniak. This has nothing to do with Feaster, and everything to do with what we saw GMs willing to pay for top-9 wingers this deadline.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I would venture to guess Shero said the most he would part with for Stemps is a 3rd. I'm sure Burke wanted more, but Shero is a shwerd guy himself. It was probably either that or nothing.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Not really. Berra getting a second was about Colorado wanting him, not Burke having some kind of magical powers of persuasion. It's not as if Burke could magically wave his wand and make a market appear for Stempniak. This has nothing to do with Feaster, and everything to do with what we saw GMs willing to pay for top-9 wingers this deadline.

I'm definitely not saying Burke could've, but I'm saying that I think that would've been fair value for Stempniak. Obviously a first for Stemps sounds downright insane, but when you look at how weak this draft is and consider how good Stemps has honestly shown himself to be, I think it'd be fair.

Like I said before, though, I don't think Pittsburgh was an ideal trading partner in Stemps' case anyways, though. Seeing him go to a wild card team for a second-round pick would've been ideal.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I'm definitely not saying Burke could've, but I'm saying that I think that would've been fair value for Stempniak. Obviously a first for Stemps sounds downright insane, but when you look at how weak this draft is and consider how good Stemps has honestly shown himself to be, I think it'd be fair.

Like I said before, though, I don't think Pittsburgh was an ideal trading partner in Stemps' case anyways, though. Seeing him go to a wild card team for a second-round pick would've been ideal.

Stemps hasn't been that good this year, I didn't know if we could get a 2nd for him, it sounds insane to say Stempniak is worth a first unless he is on a 40+ game hot streak.

fallsviewafro*

Iggy fetched a late first and two meh prospects. Considering that and the market for forwards this year, I think its lunacy to think he would have returned anything other than a 2nd tops.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Stemps hasn't been that good this year, I didn't know if we could get a 2nd for him, it sounds insane to say Stempniak is worth a first unless he is on a 40+ game hot streak.

Neither have the Flames. You're starting to sound like the troll I executed in the Trade Deadline thread... if we traded players simply based on their performances this year, we could've gotten a near-elite centre for Giordano. Stempniak has consistently shown himself to be a second/third line centre, which is generally the ceiling of players you're going to be drafting throughout the first two thirds of the second round. In the case of the weak draft this year, even Pittsburgh's pick will probably result in a player of that calibre. I think Stemps for a very late first is solid trade value, and Stemps for an early-to-mid second is fairer still.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad