Speculation: Lecavalier?

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I pointed out the other day how good of a pickup Lecavier would be if be was bought out. Ideal player to fill the hole at 2LC.

He would but him wanting anything more than 2 years would put us out of the mix I reckon (in fact would probably be the case for most teams). By reports it appears Vince is looking at 4 or 5 years, and who can blame him.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Not happening!

Move on people.

Canuck's fan - I come in peace. Congrats Hawk's on the cup. The first thing I thought when I heard he'd been bought out was Montreal, but then I heard him say in an interview that at this point in his career he wants a chance to win and would like a longer term. To me that sounds like a guy who might sign for $3-$3.5 if it comes with a 5+ year contract. I think he would be deadly in Chicago and would kind of solve the rotating door at 2C. I like to think the chance to win multiples cups might move him to play for less. He also will get an additional 32 million over the next 14 years coming from TB - that softens the blow a bit. It would mean losing Bolland and Bickell, but one of those 2 could be gone anyway. I would take a chance on Vinny if I had my choice of the 3.

If we can move/loose Booth, Ballard and Luongo I'd love him in Van.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Canuck's fan - I come in peace. Congrats Hawk's on the cup. The first thing I thought when I heard he'd been bought out was Montreal, but then I heard him say in an interview that at this point in his career he wants a chance to win and would like a longer term. To me that sounds like a guy who might sign for $3-$3.5 if it comes with a 5+ year contract. I think he would be deadly in Chicago and would kind of solve the rotating door at 2C. I like to think the chance to win multiples cups might move him to play for less. He also will get an additional 32 million over the next 14 years coming from TB - that softens the blow a bit. It would mean losing Bolland and Bickell, but one of those 2 could be gone anyway. I would take a chance on Vinny if I had my choice of the 3.

If we can move/loose Booth, Ballard and Luongo I'd love him in Van.

Something here doesn't add up...

5TabG2l.gif

needle

Apr 30, 2012
Lecavalier will be this offseason's Doan. Sure it would be ideal, but what is Lecavalier's motive to help the Hawks by taking less money when there are other teams that can pay him more and put in him in an equal position to win? Even if it meant no Bickell, imagine Saad-Toews-Kane, Sharp-Lecavalier-Hossa, Morin-Shaw-Smith, Carcillo-Kruger-Frolik. The 3rd line would be iffy, but damn what a top 6.

I love dreaming in the offseason.

Last edited:

Hawkz

34 38 61 10 13
Mar 8, 2013
Hawkeytown USA
The proposed Top 6 of Bickell, Toews, Kane and Sharp, LeCavalier, Hossa is downright nasty, but we can't give Vinny a longer deal because of when the Toews/Kane contracts end.

He will probably get a 4.5 - 5 mil for 4 years somewhere.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well they could always try the DET model..ie. as reportedly doing on the Bockell case..that is the inder the table money passed off as "endorsements" to get players to sign for hometown discounts to stay or to entice desired vets to come on down.. You don't thinkk DET guys played do cheaply because they lobed.it there,do you...excuse my conspiring nature bit...and do maybe Vinny plausy for even less than an already dicounted price If there is the endorsement racket plum dangled before him...never a ptpmise on paper though..rather just a hont that out of the blue some Chicago business corp. MAY be calling jom to endorse tjeir product...wink,wink....still,even with a discount double,that has been may npt be worth even that,anymore...

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I really don't think Detroit was giving their players money under the table. That would be huge news that would send shockwaves through the NHL and NHLPA.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I really don't think Detroit was giving their players money under the table. That would be huge news that would send shockwaves through the NHL and NHLPA.

Yeah, all of those Cups would have to be vacated.

LandofLincoln*

LeCavalier

I thought about having him on the team not going to lie.

If he wants to play here he is welcome. I certainly wouldn't go knocking on his door and calling his agent. If he calls Stan that would be different.

I like Stan's philosophy and I kind of hope he brings up the young guys and addresses the holes through our system. If we can get a discounted free agent or two then great. I hope Stan keeps Rozsival and would rather have Leddy & Rozsival signed than Lecavalier after thinking it through.

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Just saw Lecavalier has been bought out. Have to wonder if, since he is getting paid regardless, he takes less money to play with a contender. Would be the perfect 2nd line centre on this team for the right price.
Agreed. Plus he gets a chance to win a future ring. Seems like a marriage made in heaven.

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011
It's a bad idea to bring Vinny here. We have so much youth that needs to be given opportunities, and no sense in taking on the kind of cap he's likely to come with. Plus if he wants a longer deal, that further prevents our youthful center depth from getting chances.

Add to that, he's just not the same player anymore. Bad idea to bring him here, and I highly doubt Stan does it, barring a very serious discount to sign with a winning team.

nick61*

Yeah, this guy would be a huge addition. He has a Cup though, makes me think he might be ready to go close to home (Montreal). Who knows though.
Vinnie has been quoted as saying he doesn't want to live under the microscope that is Montreal.

nick61*

At the same price the answer is Lecavalier without question. I absolutely love what Bickell did for us in the playoffs, but the reality is that he has shown flashes of brilliance before only to disappear for long stretches. Lecavalier fills our single biggest need: a 2nd line centre. He is still only 33, and should have a good 4-5 productive years left in him.

Now that the buy outs have been announced rumours will start flying around Montreal and Toronto, but I really think that Chicago must look like a pretty attractive option for Lecavalier. Unlike the aforementioned teams, he would not be relied upon to be "the guy", would be surrounded by talented wingers, and would have a much better chance at another cup.
Agreed!

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Bickell/Saad (whoevers going atm) - Toews - Kane
Sharp - Lecavalier - Hossa

That top 6 would be NASTY!

I don't think that we would be able to (or willing to) offer him the $ and term he wants - he already has a cup, so he's not going to be overly desperate, and at 33 he probably has enough time left he'll go to a team that might not win next year but will win pretty soon.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 6m
Hearing that the Chicago Blackhawks do NOT have interest in Vincent Lecavalier. Many Hawks fans saw him as No. 2 C solution.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad