Speculation: Lecavalier?

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
LeCavalier rumors are out of hand, I hope it's true that Chicago is out of that circus. I think that contract is going to be ugly.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Don't want this to happen. I could see losing out on Bickell just for him to come him for one season. And then we have no power forward for another 3 or 4 years. No way Jose!

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Don't want this to happen. I could see losing out on Bickell just for him to come him for one season. And then we have no power forward for another 3 or 4 years. No way Jose!

If we did sign Lecavalier, it would be for a longer term contract than one year. He's been quoted saying he wants a multi-year contract.

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
No way can the Hawks afford Lecavalier who is old anyway and on the decline certainly. Signing forwards in their early-mid 30's is asking for trouble.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
If we did sign Lecavalier, it would be for a longer term contract than one year. He's been quoted saying he wants a multi-year contract.

Alright...

I still don't want him. The Hawks have plugged the #2 center hole two different times and won the cup. Now with all these guys coming up (Pirri, Leblanc, Smith, Danault, etc), I think there's enough solutions in the system. And we can hopefully re-sign Bickell while executing the internal 2nd line center solutions.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Alright...

I still don't want him. The Hawks have plugged the #2 center hole two different times and won the cup. Now with all these guys coming up (Pirri, Leblanc, Smith, Danault, etc), I think there's enough solutions in the system. And we can hopefully re-sign Bickell while executing the internal 2nd line center solutions.

I agree. I don't think we can afford what he'll get. He'd be an awesome solution at 2C on a 3 year deal, but we just don't have enough cap space to keep 4 solid lines if we sign another player to a big deal.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
But you can scratch the Chicago Blackhawks off that list. A source told ESPN.com Saturday that the Hawks are not interested. Some fans may have dreamed of having Lecavalier fit in as the team’s No. 2 center. But the Hawks aren’t going to enter the fray, instead focusing on trying to re-sign winger Bryan Bickell. The Hawks and Bickell’s agent, Todd Dimaond, have had constant dialogue throughout the week and spoke again on Saturday.

From Pierre's Blog

Lock it up!

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Vinny would have to want to come to the Hawks and agree to do so on the cheap. The only conceivable reason he would do that is a chance to win the Cup, but as has been pointed out, he already has his name on the Cup so the urgency wouldn't be there, plus as history has shown the odds of the Cup winner repeating are not very good. So even if Vinny wanted to do a 1 year cheap contract with a legit contender, several other teams could offer better odds for winning the Cup.

It is a nice daydream to think that Vinny would fill the ever elusive 2C spot for the Hawks.

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011
LeBrun tweet, though I think the message is already clear :)

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Hearing that the Chicago Blackhawks do NOT have interest in Vincent Lecavalier. Many Hawks fans saw him as No. 2 C solution.

HockeyDeath*

Is Stan Bowman a wizard or what?

Do the Hawks have the $4-5 million cap space per year and the room or willingness to make more than a two-year commitment at that price (he wants a long-term deal)? Would it even be wise? Why am I asking and who am I talking to? No, no, and no. (The first [no] kills the whole thing, doesn't it?)

He likely stays in the East. His two favorite teams growing up were the Detroit Red Wings and Montreal Canadiens. Haven't heard anything about the Canadiens being interested, but he's already commented that he wouldn't mind playing with Datsyuk and Zetterberg and is meeting with Wings' GM Ken Holland on Sunday. I believe Detroit doesn't want to commit to more than a two-year contract.

It's funny that he idolized Steve Yzerman as a child, played briefly for him, and has now been bought out by his favorite player!

McDooRoo

Feb 24, 2013
Wyoming
I have zero interest in signing Vinny for any amount or length. Which reading seems to be Hawks' stance too

The Good Doctor

RIP HST (1937-2005)
Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Hearing him to Philly is all but done. 5 for 23. That will put them over the cap, without a 1D and without a goalie not named Steve Mason.

SLarmer28*

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=676228&navid=nhl:topheads

Center Vincent Lecavalier, bought out by the Tampa Bay Lightning last week, has agreed to a multiyear contract with the Philadelphia Flyers, the team announced Tuesday.

Tim Panaccio of CSN Philadelphia and Darren Dreger of TSN report the contract is for five years and $22.5 million, an average annual value of $4.5 million. ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun reports the contract includes a no-movement clause.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad