Lebrun: If Crosby wins another Stanley Cup, he will then become better than Toews

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Comparing or even mentioning Toews in the same sentence as Crosby is TBH insulting to Crosby.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
Era absolutely does matter when you're talking about comparing a guy who played the majority of his career in a league with six teams, players playing part time, and against goalies who were basically skaters who stood in front of the net versus a guy playing in a league with 30 teams, professional players who are now significantly easier to find and develop, and goalies basically wearing pillows all over their body.

And yes he did compare the points when he said Howe had a significantly higher lead on his scoring trophies than Crosby did. Convenient that he did not mention that players today are significantly better than players in the 50's and 60's.

Ever noticed that players always produce less in the playoffs?

Right. Because the opposition is better. That's also why a six-team league would be harder to play in: that's roughly 100 roster spots. Can you imagine the NHL with only their top 100 players?

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I don't think there's a sensible GM in the league that would take Toews over Malkin, let alone Crosby. This was never a debate.

2011 still hurts

imagine posting on a hockey forum
Feb 10, 2016
Crosby can be argued for being the top 5-10 player of all time, Toews was never even a top 5 player in the league in his career lmao

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Crosby can be argued for being the top 5-10 player of all time, Toews was never even a top 5 player in the league in his career lmao

Harsh but true. Toews is a good player and deserves all the respect in the world, but setting him up to fail when comparing him to Crosby is just mean.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
I gotta be honest, if Karlsson wins another Norris, I'll have him ahead of Kris Russell.

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Congratulations to Sidney Crosby for finally becoming better than Toes! He's worked so hard for many years to have this moment.

powelladam02*

Nov 7, 2016
Ever noticed that players always produce less in the playoffs?

Right. Because the opposition is better. That's also why a six-team league would be harder to play in: that's roughly 100 roster spots. Can you imagine the NHL with only their top 100 players?

Wrong. Players produce less because the refs swallow their whistles more.

I can imagine a league with 100 roster spots and it looks incredibly predictable, incredibly static, and incredibly non unique.Playing the sames teams constantly kills any sort of unknown to it all and the players end up just going through the motions.

The best effort the pens played this year was Ottawa but they certainly weren't the most talented. The pens dominated more talented teams like Columbus and Washington but they struggled against Ottawa because Ottawa had a unique style of defense. Uniqueness like that wouldn't exist in a 6 team league and therefore the same team would keep winning. Eventually, one team is just always going to have the other five team's numbers.

Also every example in history of a 6-8 team league flies in the face of the assumption that a smaller league is somehow "harder." The Boston Celtics played in an 8 team league and they had the biggest dynasty in sports.

Also at the end of the day, luck matters more than skill and your luck of winning is significantly more likely being 1/6 than 1/30 no matter how skilled you are.

And please don't tell me that 1 or 2 playoffs series before the cup is somehow harder than 3 before the cup.

ilykHokey

Apr 13, 2015
Wrong. Players produce less because the refs swallow their whistles more.

I can imagine a league with 100 roster spots and it looks incredibly predictable, incredibly static, and incredibly non unique.Playing the sames teams constantly kills any sort of unknown to it all and the players end up just going through the motions.

The best effort the pens played this year was Ottawa but they certainly weren't the most talented. The pens dominated more talented teams like Columbus and Washington but they struggled against Ottawa because Ottawa had a unique style of defense. Uniqueness like that wouldn't exist in a 6 team league and therefore the same team would keep winning. Eventually, one team is just always going to have the other five team's numbers.

Also every example in history of a 6-8 team league flies in the face of the assumption that a smaller league is somehow "harder." The Boston Celtics played in an 8 team league and they had the biggest dynasty in sports.

Also at the end of the day, luck matters more than skill and your luck of winning is significantly more likely being 1/6 than 1/30 no matter how skilled you are.

And please don't tell me that 1 or 2 playoffs series before the cup is somehow harder than 3 before the cup.

FWIW, Washington is superior to Ottawa, but Columbus ? :laugh:

powelladam02*

Nov 7, 2016
FWIW, Washington is superior to Ottawa, but Columbus ? :laugh:

Did you just start watching hockey during the Eastern Conference finals?

Columbus had the fourth best record in hockey in the toughest division. They nearly had the longest win streak in NHL history and they had the frontrunner goalie for the Vezina trophy.

Ottawa was basically just happy to be there coming into the series. They got lucky with their playoff format only having to play the Rangers who can't defend and the Bruins whose roster was half AHL callups and they beat them by basically playing keep away the whole game and winning short score games. Even on a general talent level, Ottawa is Eric Karlsson and friends.

Internet Explorer

Better than Chrome
Sep 14, 2009
Internet
I hate Toews. His mural is an eyesore that ruined many weekends in Chicago. I hope the chicagoans burned that building to the ground. Toews sucks. He probably keeps cats as pets.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
I remember back in 2005 going into the draft Crosby had all that hype and I just thought yeah he'll be good, but he'll never be as good as Toews.

Now I have to finally admit that I'm wrong. He is exactly as good as Toews.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00