LeBrun: Lebrun: CGY wants Duclair as part of return for Hanifin. Looking at other offers too

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Lol....The tweet literally says Duclair is "part of" of the proposed trade, and that the Flames are looking at competing offers. How does that get translated into Duclair is the centerpiece of a Hanifin trade?

Reactions: Kaizen and Nanuuk

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Lol....The tweet literally says Duclair is "part of" of the proposed trade, and that the Flames are looking at competing offers. How does that get translated into Duclair is the centerpiece of a Hanifin trade?
Normally the biggest piece is the name that gets mentioned, no?

Reactions: Ainsy01

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Normally the biggest piece is the name that gets mentioned, no?

No. That may just be all he knows. The phrase "part of" implies that he's only a part. If the main part of the deal was already done, then the deal would probably be done by now.

The fact the deal isn't done suggests that they are arguing about something major.

If Duclair was the main piece, why wouldn't Lebrun just say that?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Maybe not but if there are other more attractive pieces it would have been done.

My feeling is Duclair is the roster player, the others are prospects and picks which maybe better than Duclair.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Maybe not but if there are other more attractive pieces it would have been done.

My feeling is Duclair is the roster player, the others are prospects and picks which maybe better than Duclair.

This is my thinking exactly. If Duclair was the main piece, the tweet would say that and we'd probably have a done deal already. They are likely arguing about the prospects/picks, which are the main piece of the deal. Duclair is likely not more to this deal than Calgary taking cap back.

Reactions: Nanuuk and DFF

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Duclair for Hanifin straight up. Calgary gets 2 million in cap savings and cap space being at premium that's worth 2nd/3rd. Maybe add a late pick or a C prospect.

Lol. The tweet said Duclair, not Lundell or Luostarinen. It's pretty clear Duke is the main piece that would come back in any deal.

Calgary wants him because of the Huberdeau connection, they are desperate to get him going no matter what. That contract is going to be a disaster if he repeats this year again.

I can see a the second rounder added to Duclair but that's about it. He's the major piece.

@MacVSog what happened my guy? You were so confident.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
The thing that made Duclair decent was his speed. His injury tends to kill speed. I'm very glad we didn't get Duclair.

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
I really don't see a problem with taking Duclair , No re-signing offer until he proves he's going to be something to go forward with . If not send him down and eat the 2m in remaining cap after that , it's still a pretty decent net cap savings , any add to the deal is gravy and it could be a great deal if he gets his game going with Huby .
All these Meffers that publicly announced they want out have diminished their value on the market so it's a take what you can get and in the case of Dmen we can afford to lose a few of them , hopefully the find a way to wheel Tanev while they are at it .

He like Toffoli has handcuffed the team by not keeping it private until the team can find a way to get value for him by switching him into a deal that starts out being for someone we actual want to keep .

Toffoli is one of the biggest rats in the league...
Like a rich mans Bunting, at least Bunting took a home town discount to play for Leafs so can't fault him completely as a man...

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
With the Rodrigues signing essentially replacing Duke, I would be open to a deal around Hanifin and Reinhart.
I mean from a player for player standpoint it's fair value. I also think that's closer to what the Flames will do. I just don't think it's what they should do. I want a young roster player/prospect and a pick.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
With the Rodrigues signing essentially replacing Duke, I would be open to a deal around Hanifin and Reinhart.

I'd be down if Zito has another middle 6 W option in free agency he's keen on.
Don't see it happening now as we've loaded up on LD, seemingly pointing to wait out Bob's deal and rising cap to fully address the D and pay 2 of Forsling, Montour and Ekblad along the way.

Ledge And Dairy

I mean from a player for player standpoint it's fair value. I also think that's closer to what the Flames will do. I just don't think it's what they should do. I want a young roster player/prospect and a pick.
Sure but you also want to rebuild no matter what. If Lindholm stays there is zero chance the Flames are rebuilding so getting a top line winger that is both younger and better than Toffoli would be a good move for the Flames. Cap would be tight in a 1 for 1 and I also think Reinhart is worth a bit more than Noah

Personally I would be perfectly fine with something like Hanifin + Dube for Reinhart + decent prospect (like Benning or something)

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Sure but you also want to rebuild no matter what. If Lindholm stays there is zero chance the Flames are rebuilding so getting a top line winger that is both younger and better than Toffoli would be a good move for the Flames. Cap would be tight in a 1 for 1 and I also think Reinhart is worth a bit more than Noah

Personally I would be perfectly fine with something like Hanifin + Dube for Reinhart + decent prospect (like Benning or something)
Rebuild, re-tool yes. I don't want Lindholm to stay. I want to move him ideally. But yes, no matter what I want a rebuild or retool. We don't have to bottom out entirely like the Oilers or Sabres. I just don't see our roster winning a cup and I think signing Lindholm to an 8 year 9M contract locks us into a bad path and I don't see him signing for less than that.

Ledge And Dairy

Rebuild, re-tool yes. I don't want Lindholm to stay. I want to move him ideally. But yes, no matter what I want a rebuild or retool. We don't have to bottom out entirely like the Oilers or Sabres. I just don't see our roster winning a cup and I think signing Lindholm to an 8 year 9M contract locks us into a bad path and I don't see him signing for less than that.
Im pretty indifferent on it. I love Lindholm and would be happy if he stays. Im simply saying in the scenario he does, Calgary is not going to rebuild and in that same scenario adding a guy like Reinhart makes sense, especially due to relations and success with Huberdeau and Weegar as well as being from Western Canada

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad