News Article: Lebreton project

Status
Not open for further replies.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
So wait, is this "prominent Ottawa family" also going to build the extensive real estate and entertainment developments in the area? Because last I checked, Trinity is the top dog in Ottawa in this regard. Also, are they going to acquiesce to Melnyk's apparent demands that the arena is built without spending any of his own money (if he even has much in the way of liquid cash these days. He reeks of being rich in assets but cash broke)? I'm skeptical, and that's putting it mildly.

Really seems like you simply enjoy the attention of claiming to be an insider.
First off, Trinity is not the top dog in development. Claridge or the Malholtra family has many billions invested in development. They also have been side by side on this Lebreton project which would only make sense to further develop it. Only issue I see with this, is knowing the family intimately, they do not have an appetite for accumulating loses on a sports franchise. Either way, EM is going in a different direction with this project and frankly, not doing it with Trinity or John Ruddy is fine by me. He and his partners screwed many many honest business people and families while completing the Landsdowne project. I do no think many suppliers or contractors want to relive that scenario with Trinity once again.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
So the spin has been established as "well this never made sense to begin with" lmao. It's so insane you've just got to laugh.

personally I started getting paid by uncle Eugene a long time ago so I was on record with the spin job at least 6 months ago that it didn't make sense. but let me go back and check my pay stubs, I should be able to figure oUT when I came up with this opinion.

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
First off, Trinity is not the top dog in development. Claridge or the Malholtra family has many billions invested in development. They also have been side by side on this Lebreton project which would only make sense to further develop it. Only issue I see with this, is knowing the family intimately, they do not have an appetite for accumulating loses on a sports franchise. Either way, EM is going in a different direction with this project and frankly, not doing it with Trinity or John Ruddy is fine by me. He and his partners screwed many many honest business people and families while completing the Landsdowne project. I do no think many suppliers or contractors want to relive that scenario with Trinity once again.

I would think Shawn and Bill also maybe wouldn't want to partner WITH THE DONALD TRUMP of Canada, whaddya think?

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

Ah I see. Did your friend Eugene loop the NCC and the city in about his "going in a different direction"? Because they're the ones who actually control the land and decide who gets to develop it, and judging from yesterday's press conference, they're not to happy with the situation.

This is not Eugene Melnyk's project. It's the NCC's. And as of today, he's out. His bid has been effectively pulled, so he can't just "go in a different direction." What he wants to do, or who he wants to partner with now, doesn't matter.

Do you even re-read your posts or are you just incapable of putting together logical thoughts?

The land will be developed, with a hockey team or not. Eugene Melnyk can go ahead and continue losing money in Kanata, because that's his only option right now.

Last edited:

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Ah I see. Did your friend Eugene loop the NCC and the city in about his "going a different direction"? Because they're the ones who actually control the land and decide who gets to develop it, and judging from yesterday's press conference, they're not to happy with the situation.

This is not Eugene Melnyk's project. It's the NCC's. And as of today, he's out. His bid has been effectively pulled, so he can't just "go in a different direction." What he wants to do, or who he wants to partner with, doesn't matter anymore.

Do you even re-read your posts or are you just incapable of putting together logical lies?

Fixed. Some people need a new hobby.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Omg the twitterbots are back!!

Screenshot_20181123-151041.png

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I honestly wonder why the people in charge of twitter bots use attractive women as cover.

I'd be far less suspicious if the profile pic was a crusty old person who looks to spend a lot of time peering over court records.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
Don't see how it would.

This is internal to the bid group.

NCC can just wait until the deadline they announced yesterday and then pull the plug.
Could they possibly schedule an emergency meeting to vote on moving on from RendezVous, thus allowing them to approach Devcore? If I'm on the NCC board and was fed up with Melnyk's BS, with this latest stunt only exacerbating things, I'd want to wash my hands of him ASAP.

Silex

Jan 22, 2009
Ottawa
I think I have figured out Melnyk's angle , and it isn't something that I am not unfamiliar with as I went through a similar situation in a property transaction.

Melnyk wins the bid for Lebreton, and has the paper for the land. He was basically trying to flip the paper to Ruddy, who would, in lieu of profits , build him the arena, or the lion's share of it. He could build it a lot cheaper at Ruddy's costs instead of making profit on the arena. That 600M number , realistically, has about 400M in actual costs. I had this happen, a right of first refusal of sorts. It was annoying but had to be dealt with. And I'm sure Ruddy did.

Now, Melnyk still has the paper and will probably approach the rest of the construction community. The Malhotras and Friends would be my guess as his next angle. He is going to scurry to try and locate a business partner. People in business have short memories, but this will be a difficult venture moving forward.

Terrible news, but like JD1, I just didn't see the validity of this deal from the Sens standpoint. Too much money that he doesn't have, too much risk and the revenues just don't support the viability of a new arena downtown.
Does he still have the paper though? Mind you, I am not an expert here, but my understanding was that the window of exclusivity was for the RVL group that consisted of Melnyk and Ruddy. If that partnership dissolves (which it pretty much did) and Melnyk decides to partner up with someone else, that means that they would need to enter as an entirely new bid, which is no sure thing. Now mind you, Melnyk still has the leverage of owning the local NHL team which could be the primary tenant of the new downtown area that the NCC has made clear is to be the anchor for the redevelopment, so that would be to his advantage, but if he's burned all these bridges with the NCC and the mayor's office, then I don't see how a new bidding process selects Melnyk as the winner once more.

Reactions: Relapsing

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Could they possibly schedule an emergency meeting to vote on moving on from RendezVous, thus allowing them to approach Devcore? If I'm on the NCC board and was fed up with Melnyk's BS, with this latest stunt only exacerbating things, I'd want to wash my hands of him ASAP.
Guess they could.

If they just stay the course Melnyk's lawyers can't claim they have acted against him.

Of course, they could backchannel with Devcore to be ready to bid starting at their next meeting.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Maybe, just maybe the NHL will now be able to silently force the sale of the team the next time an offer gets made for the team.

I mean at what point do they keep letting this guy make the headlines in the news (for all the wrong reasons).

Imagine how badly the league would deflate in value if there were 15 other owners like Eugene? What if all 30 were like that?

The senators being consistently mentioned as being one of the worst run pro franchises is not something the NHL should ignore or take kindly to.

They know that the city of Ottawa can fill the rink Kanata, and most are choosing not to mostly because of Melnyk, not the building itself.

The guy needs to go, and hopefully let a new ownership group can start to negotiate with the NCC...

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
Guess they could.

If they just stay the course Melnyk's lawyers can't claim they have acted against him.

Of course, they could backchannel with Devcore to be ready to bid starting at their next meeting.
Hmmm, that's true. Given Euge's willingness to sue, it may be best to wait this out while negotiating while setting things up with Devcore in private. Y'know, like how many NHL contract extensions are signed immediately on July 1 despite the parties supposedly not being allowed to negotiate before then :p

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Does he still have the paper though? Mind you, I am not an expert here, but my understanding was that the window of exclusivity was for the RVL group that consisted of Melnyk and Ruddy. If that partnership dissolves (which it pretty much did) and Melnyk decides to partner up with someone else, that means that they would need to enter as an entirely new bid, which is no sure thing. Now mind you, Melnyk still has the leverage of owning the local NHL team which could be the primary tenant of the new downtown area that the NCC has made clear is to be the anchor for the redevelopment, so that would be to his advantage, but if he's burned all these bridges with the NCC and the mayor's office, then I don't see how a new bidding process selects Melnyk as the winner once more.

With his move today, Melnyk has effectively pulled out of Lebreton. You're right, any "new partnership" that he wants to form would have to go through a new bidding process, and with his performance, there is no chance that the NCC chooses an option where he's the lead or a key stakeholder.

They won't go through this again. I could even see them going to Devcore and giving them the bid on the condition that Melnyk is not involved.

The only way the Senators end up playing at Lebreton now is if the new group (whoever it ends up being) builds an arena and leases it to Melnyk, or if Melnyk sells to the group that develops the land.

Reactions: FlyingJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad