News Article: Lebreton project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
The plan is to get younger while locking up key core players. Younger usually means cheaper. They have hired scouts and more professionals, an AGM.

Wow! An AGM?!? Start planning the parade.

Nevermind that they hired a novice AGM after the previous one forced their hand and himself on a teenager.

Reactions: armani

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Still going to be a while before Lebreton, if it happens.

The plan is to get younger while locking up key core players. Younger usually means cheaper. They have hired scouts and more professionals, an AGM.

Overpriced popcorn looks pretty good now if the players continue to be exciting and fun to watch, like the movie scenario...and sometimes the movie isn't a good as you hoped.

I wasnt addressing STH or attendance issues , just disagreeing about the owners being lazy when , personally, I don't see it that way.

I think fans have to be better as the team and organization has to be better. Fans jumping off and on the bandwagon is not a good characteristic to have, or to be labeled with.

Don't worry, #MelnykBoycott doesn't mean bandwagoning. These are true, hardcore fans caring enough to take such measures as boycotting games at CTC. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise. They just don't want to contribute to Melnyk financially and chose to watch on TV/webcasts until #MelnykOut.

Reactions: Marnie

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Don't worry, #MelnykBoycott doesn't mean bandwagoning. These are true, hardcore fans caring enough to take such measures as boycotting games at CTC. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise. They just don't want to contribute to Melnyk financially and chose to watch on TV/webcasts until #MelnykOut.

Okie dokie

I don't think you really want to know what I think of MelnykOut people

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
What bandwagon? Some of you go cheer for other teams in the post season and you're going to run your mouths that I'm a bandwagon fan? LOL.

If the team sucked and our owner didn't threaten relocation less than a year ago while refusing to spend any money... I'd support the team. I don't care about our record (which I think will be better than most people expect). I care about a team with a future. With Melnyk right now there isn't much of one and it hinges entirely on this LeBreton deal.

People jumped to his defense and bashed Brydon so I had to point out Melnyk has had legal issues surrounding him just the same. He had to settle with the SEC.

What's so great about him again? Yeah he saved the team and we had a great 2-3 years. Ever since we've been on a slow decline. I gave him YEARS to prove everyone wrong. Every single move has been to lower the absolute salary of the team. He's run through my patience with his threats and general boorish behavior. He's no saint in the business community. There is nothing redeeming about him.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Look not spending and trying to cut costs ,and then blaming everybody else hasnt worked ...Bryden and now EM have gone down this road,and have failed....How about not blaming everybody else and actually using money to try and give this tired fanbase what it wants,then maybe he would be right to call out the fans if that fails

Pretty sure the team was playing to empty seats, in the ECFs just two seasons ago.

He called them out then, did he not?

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Pretty sure the team was playing to empty seats, in the ECFs just two seasons ago.

He charged too much. You have to know your market. Toronto can get away with charging the insane prices because they have missed the playoffs so often and the fan base is so large the demand is there. You cant expect people to go from paying $45 a ticket to $155 for the same seat.

A good leader looks for solutions, a poor leader blames people.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
He charged too much. You have to know your market. Toronto can get away with charging the insane prices because they have missed the playoffs so often and the fan base is so large the demand is there. You cant expect people to go from paying $45 a ticket to $155 for the same seat.

There was also a major flood

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

You're sort of confirming the point that some posters have been trying to make in these threads, for a while now.

A segment of the anti Melnyk crowd want him to spend his own money to support the team, and give them a free ride by not raising ticket prices, like ALL other NHL franchises do, when they progress through the playoffs.

I remember the Media highlighting the empty seats in the ECFs and they were NOT berating Melnyk for overpricing the tickets, they pointed at the fans who did not show up.

Too many anti Melnyk fans whine about him being cheap, and should spend more money to make more money, but there has to be some blame on the fan-base too, for not selling out ECFs games.

There is two sides to a coin.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
You're sort of confirming the point that some posters have been trying to make in these threads, for a while now.

A segment of the anti Melnyk crowd want him to spend his own money to support the team, and give them a free ride by not raising ticket prices, like ALL other NHL franchises do, when they progress through the playoffs.

I remember the Media highlighting the empty seats in the ECFs and they were NOT berating Melnyk for overpricing the tickets, they pointed at the fans who did not show up.

Too many anti Melnyk fans whine about him being cheap, and should spend more money to make more money, but there has to be some blame on the fan-base too, for not selling out ECFs games.

I understand where you stand. I appreciate that you have a different opinion. It keeps this place from turning into an echo chamber.
You have to see other peoples side to this as well. Melnyk wants the fans to spend more money, when there has been no evidence that spending the extra money will result in him spending more. The team went to the ECF with a low budget team. Remember, this is shortly after the team had to trade away a second round pick in order to get the rangers to eat Brassards signing bonus. If you see the owner is REALLY committed to winning and not just saying he is, you will see more people come out.

Remember the last time they decided to rebuild? Shipped out Fisher and Kelly? Hired Paulrus? Sens fans knew it would be rough, but they believed that a rebuild was needed and supported the team. They were still selling out, even though we were prepared to end last and draft Yakapov (thank god that didnt happen). It is all about perspective, and a lot of fans are tired of drinking Melnyks koolaid.

I want this team to win. I want this team to sell out. I live 2 hours away and I use to go to 10 games a year. Last year I went to one because I was gifted tickets. If I see changes in the mentality of the ownership/leadership (and I dont mean some shitty twitter video) I will start going again. I wont support someone that lies to me then blames me for their problems.

CTC

Oct 9, 2014
Watson was reelected, I would expect that this should help maintain the status quo for the new arena given he is also sits on the NCC. I wonder if Euge was hoping he would be ousted?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
There is always a reason/ excuse.

reason =/= excuse

Some reasons are valid, while others aren't. Things like the Phoenix debacle and the flooding shouldn't be overlooked and are obviously part of the reason that game didn't sell out. It very well may not be the only reason, but it played a part.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

No there isn't. It's a businesses responsibility to create value for their customers. If there's enough value, customers will buy the product. If there isn't, they won't.

The sole responsibility for creating value lies at the feet of the owner and management. They've failed to do so.

The Senators are entertainment. Fans aren't obligated to support a product they don't like (whether it's because of on-ice play, public relations, in-game experience, pricing, etc), just like I'm not obligated to go to every Natalie Portman movie regardless of reviews.

As the owner, an now CEO, it's Melnyk's job to create a product that he can sell. If he can't, that's on him, no one else.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

I don't understand this rumour (where did it come from) that Melnyck told the fans off, why is it important for Melnyck boosters to keep referring to this tough guy / Godfather moment that Melnyck told the fans off? Is this the outdoor game interview, where he essentially ruined any even good will he had with fans in 15 minutes.

Melnyck is losing, boosting him up as a tough guy whos telling the fans off I don't understand. My guess is because you guys like tough guys and want Melnyck to be seen as one, but he's not, he's just an arrogant and rude owner who has no idea how to sell a ticket in Ottawa, Alfie sold his tickets, and when Alfie left, there is no one to sell tickets now. Melnyck is trying and failing, not sure why this "he told fans off" (which didn't happen) idea is seen as him being anything other then incompetent at his job.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
No there isn't. It's a businesses responsibility to create value for their customers. If there's enough value, customers will buy the product. If there isn't, they won't.

The sole responsibility for creating value lies at the feet of the owner and management. They've failed to do so.

The Senators are entertainment. Fans aren't obligated to support a product they don't like (whether it's because of on-ice play, public relations, in-game experience, pricing, etc), just like I'm not obligated to go to every Natalie Portman movie regardless of reviews.

As the owner, an now CEO, it's Melnyk's job to create a product that he can sell. If he can't, that's on him, no one else.

Great reminder post, this info has been posted again and again and some don't understand or simply choose to ignore, a few can blame the fans and market all they want but if they fail to understand this absolute universal business rule there's really not much point in debating anything further imo.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I don't understand this rumour (where did it come from) that Melnyck told the fans off, why is it important for Melnyck boosters to keep referring to this tough guy / Godfather moment that Melnyck told the fans off? Is this the outdoor game interview, where he essentially ruined any even good will he had with fans in 15 minutes.

Melnyck is losing, boosting him up as a tough guy whos telling the fans off I don't understand. My guess is because you guys like tough guys and want Melnyck to be seen as one, but he's not, he's just an arrogant and rude owner who has no idea how to sell a ticket in Ottawa, Alfie sold his tickets, and when Alfie left, there is no one to sell tickets now. Melnyck is trying and failing, not sure why this "he told fans off" (which didn't happen) idea is seen as him being anything other then incompetent at his job.

Also I believe that there were maybe 1000-1500 total unsold seats over the 8 or 9 playoff home dates in that run? I did the math previously and it was something like 99% soldout, not a strong number to hang the hat on of a lack of fan support in my eyes.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Meh, the problem is in this market, the Senators create as much passion as the next Natalie Portman movie. Your argument is so intellectually dishonest that it essentially ridicules the very nature of what this forum is about.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Also I believe that there were maybe 1000-1500 total unsold seats over the 8 or 9 playoff home dates in that run? I did the math previously and it was something like 99% soldout, not a strong number to hang the hat on of a lack of fan support in my eyes.

There was 2000 in one game. And it was a lot more than that. they had 20,500 just in December for Alfie. We have had 20,500 for playoff games.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

Yep ,so ...Do you think Lebreton is being built because of one EM ???Or the team is here because of him??We have supported our team,what we are tired of is always being told ,its our fault when its been more than obvious that is not the case

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

They had almost 2000 empty seats alone against the Rangers in game 1 of that series.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Meh, the problem is in this market, the Senators create as much passion as the next Natalie Portman movie. Your argument is so intellectually dishonest that it essentially ridicules the very nature of what this forum is about.

At the end of the day, fans are consumers, and NHL hockey is an entertainment business. Part of that “entertainment” for fans is talking about games, trades, controversies, etc at work, with friends and on message boards, but to think that any fan should feel any sort of financial obligation to support a pro sports franchise is ridiculous.

When fans are no longer being entertained, or going to games doesn’t bring them any happiness, or they don't think the entertainment value is worth the price, they won’t buy tickets. It’s that simple, and that's how it should be.

The whole "we're Canadian and Canadians need to support hockey" angle that you're coming from completely misses the point. The NHL and Ottawa Senators are not hockey. They’ve taken hockey and turned it into a billion dollar business, but people shouldn’t be compelled to pad the pockets of millionaires and billionaires in the name of "hockey".

There’s plenty of ways to be a great hockey fan (Go to a junior game! Join a pickup league! Watch your kids play on the outdoor rink!) that don’t include spending $150 to increase the value of Eugene Melnyk’s personal investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad