League rankings right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Regarding the argument that most defensemen play 100 or so games in the AHL before moving to the NHL, that's broadly speaking true especially if they come from junior hockey, but that's because they're still raw youngsters, especially but by no means only physically.

Of the current cup finalists and dare I say champions Alec Martinez went from US junior hockey to college, from college to the AHL, and then still to Finland during the lockout after already making it in the NHL. Despite by all accounts good work ethic he was nothing special by Liiga standards and soon moved on to the Central Hockey League, albeit excused by a minor injury. It was only several seasons after leaving the AHL (and Finland) in his late 20s that he really became a top-tier defenseman, as is often the case. In other words saying that the AHL is the next best league because young Alec Martinez and others like him once played there makes only limited sense.
Can you name many NHL D that went to NHL straight from Europe?

The only Czech I can think of in the last decade is Jan Rutta. Now, we suck at D but are their many Finn, Russian or Swedes that came over from their domestic league? Or even North Americans coming from USHL or CHL straight to NHL?

I'm guessing maybe 10 guys total. Dahlin did it.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

The only Czech I can think of in the last decade is Jan Rutta. Now, we suck at D but are their many Finn, Russian or Swedes that came over from their domestic league? Or even North Americans coming from USHL or CHL straight to NHL?

If we look at the top European guys in the AHL now, they're mostly either junior-aged like Jiříček and Nemec, or only slightly older and still struggling to establish themselves like Heinola and Thomson. Lagesson is a bit older, but was only in the second-tier Allsvenskan when he last returned to Sweden in 2020/21. Some of them may become good NHL players in the future, but right now at 19 or 22 they're not better than those in top European leagues.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
The AHL is not as good as top European leagues. Its a league for development.

I’d be wealthier than Elon Musk if I had a dollar every time somebody said “get (european prospect name) to the AHL for some ice time; they’re not getting it in Europe.”

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
If we look at the top European guys in the AHL now, they're mostly either junior-aged like Jiříček and Nemec, or only slightly older and still struggling to establish themselves like Heinola and Thomson. Lagesson is a bit older, but was only in the second-tier Allsvenskan when he last returned to Sweden in 2020/21. Some of them may become good NHL players in the future, but right now at 19 or 22 they're not better than those in top European leagues.
Jiricek and Nemec just played a full AHL season. Lagesson was in AHL too. The 2020/21 returns are covid blips. Egm Bouchard played in Swedish second league during covid too.

The 23 year olds in Europe playing D May be better today than the 19 year olds in AHL... True but if you are 23 and playing in Europe... Your NHL window is in a lot of trouble.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Jiricek and Nemec just played a full AHL season. Lagesson was in AHL too. The 2020/21 returns are covid blips. Egm Bouchard played in Swedish second league during covid too.

The 23 year olds in Europe playing D May be better today than the 19 year olds in AHL... True but if you are 23 and playing in Europe... Your NHL window is in a lot of trouble.
That's a whole another story, Gawanke for one didn't get a single game in the NHL and will now come back to the DEL at 24. He broke records in the AHL but will spend his best years in Germany instead. Explicitly said that he has zero interest in wasting his time in the AHL any longer. The same with Sami Niku and Liiga etc. It's always between the NHL and Europe, never between the AHL and Europe when it comes to where a European player spends his prime. Even a lesser European league like the ICEHL beats the AHL in that regard.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
That's a whole another story, Gawanke for one didn't get a single game in the NHL and will now come back to the DEL at 24. He broke records in the AHL but will spend his best years in Germany instead. Explicitly said that he has zero interest in wasting his time in the AHL any longer. The same with Sami Niku and Liiga etc. It's always between the NHL and Europe, never between the AHL and Europe when it comes to where a European player spends his prime. Even a lesser European league like the ICEHL beats the AHL in that regard.
Correct, guys that can't make the NHL leave the AHL for Europe. Europe is littered with failed NHL Czechs that didn't want to be in the AHL any longer. Kovar, Spacek, Chlapik, Sklenickia, Frk, Galvas... none of them could make the NHL fulltime and went to Europe.

What I'm saying is that there are considerably less guys leaving Europe and going straight to the NHL. Vejmleka did it as a goalie. Dahlin is a 1OV. 1OV Matthews comes to mind. AHL is the final step before the best league in the world for a very high majority of players. Europe is a step back from the NHL and if you're 22 and returning to Europe.. the number of guys that made it back to the NHL are very small.

But yes, I made two lists because the AHL is not a great destination if you're not a future NHLer.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Correct, guys that can't make the NHL leave the AHL for Europe. Europe is littered with failed NHL Czechs that didn't want to be in the AHL any longer. Kovar, Spacek, Chlapik, Sklenickia, Frk, Galvas... none of them could make the NHL fulltime and went to Europe.

What I'm saying is that there are considerably less guys leaving Europe and going straight to the NHL. Vejmleka did it as a goalie. Dahlin is a 1OV. 1OV Matthews comes to mind. AHL is the final step before the best league in the world for a very high majority of players. Europe is a step back from the NHL and if you're 22 and returning to Europe.. the number of guys that made it back to the NHL are very small.

But yes, I made two lists because the AHL is not a great destination if you're not a future NHLer.
Kovář for one was in the AHL for a few weeks before deciding it was a waste of time and heading back to Europe. In terms of quality he was a better player than some ahead of him in the NHL Islanders depth chart, but Trotz preferred a reliable grinder whom he knew well. Kovář could have stayed in the AHL looking for his opportunity and adjusting to the North American game, but for a player already in his prime staying in the minors even just for one season is often not an option. AHL is more of an intermediate step between juniors and pro hockey than it is between Europe and the NHL. For guys like Špaček who played junior hockey in the WHL, then tried to make the big league over the AHL, but that never happened and so he came to Europe. The AHL basically got 193 games in a big role out of a 19-22 years old fairly raw prospect who is now a significantly better player several years more mature in Switzerland.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
KHL is not as good as it used to be, now same level as SHL, maybe even worse, since it is so huge.

• Haha
Reactions: Eye of Ra

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
The worst team in Switzerland can afford AHL's perennial best defenseman candidate whereas the worst Liiga teams can't afford even local Finnish pros for a full season.
And? You can check how many players are getting NHL deals from Liiga vs NLA. NLA is a "get your pension money here" league and live by the alps, so it's very top-heavy league but regular 3-4th liners outside of top Swiss teams have no business playing in Liiga skill wise.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
And? You can check how many players are getting NHL deals from Liiga vs NLA. NLA is a "get your pension money here" league and live by the alps, so it's very top-heavy league but regular 3-4th liners outside of top Swiss teams have no business playing in Liiga skill wise.
Daniel Audette, age 26, was 2nd in Liiga scoring and champions with Lukko two years ago yet is now just such player with Lausanne who didn't make the playoffs. His teammate and sometimes 4th unit linemate Miikka Salomäki, age 29, has been one of the more prominent players in Finland too, yet now finds himself in a small role in the Swiss league. Same goes for Juuso Vainio, age 28, with Fribourg-Gottéron, he captained JYP in Finland and played for Team Finland even this season, but only had a marginal role in the Swiss league and now returned back to JYP after Fribourg-Gottéron chose to not to use their contract option for another year. His teammate Janne Kuokkanen, age 24, a regular with Team Finland this season, often was a 3rd liner in Switzerland and also wasn't extended.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I wonder why hardly anyone wants to stay in the AHL as a second choice after the NHL then.
Long bus rides, lower salary and probability of spending your winter in a small town in upstate NY or Pennsylvania. (Beautiful country, but not where I'd want to spend my 20s if the other option was somewhere in Europe)

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York

Not exactly answering your question, but Sergachev and Provorov went straight from the CHL to the NHL

Reactions: Czechboy

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
you are a well known russian basher
Funny coming from "Sweden is worse than Latvia" guy.

But anyway, still not an argument. KHL is too big, and now, with new import limit powered by Tretiak and general exodus of foreigners there are just not enough quality russian players to play in such a big league

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad