League nixes Canucks plan to sell Cup parade broadcast rights

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Do you have a shred of hard evidence for any of this?

Evidence of what?. Checkout these very threads for postings on the car dealership & other Canucklehead Copyright Infringements. Do you have any proof that theres a team of NHL Infringement Agents running around looking for Transgressors?. Maybe thats what that whole NHL Project Guardian dealeo's all about. The Superhero's will crush your business into smithereens with a giant foot right through the roof should you ever have the temerity to doodle a team logo on a post-it-note & put it on the fridge in the staff cafeteria. :scared:

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Full circle for Mark Recchi. Played in his first Stanley Cup Finals as a rookie with the 1917 Seattle Metropolitans. ;)

:laugh:

Well folks, I think this is the end of the line for a while for me, time to take another hiatus (not that I'm exactly I heavy hitter on here as it is ;) ). Going to go out and enjoy the summer and maybe just try and forget about hockey for a few months-perhaps I'll be back around in the fall-you all play safe and have a great summer!

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006
Of course. As an example Im not talking about a car dealership who isnt an "official sponsor" illegally using the Canucks logo or team colors in newspapers or TV ads, on-line or in direct-mail campaigns; Im talking about the dealerships who put "GO CANUCKS GO" on aerial flags & wrote it on their showroom windows being threatened; some independent pizza joint out in Surrey that had a rough drawing in chalk of Luongo on their sidewalk sandwich board being told to lose it or else. And now this?. Asking for permission to charge broadcast rights for a parade PRIOR to even winning the SC not only disrespects the Bruins its unprecedented. A SC, Grey Cup, Super Bowl or whatever kind of cup parade is a free party, free coverage open deal. The fans thanking the team; the team thanking the fans for their support. To try & capitalize on such an event is classless & crass.

And tell ya what, if Im a Bruins player, a copy of that article goes up in the dressing room prior to Game 6. Yepp. Real smooth move. Lets give the Bruins even more reason to hate Vancouver and come out insulted, angry and pissed, as if they needed any help in that department. Youd think with all the Grizzlies, Black & Brown Bears we have out here, people would be smart enough to realize that you dont go around poking Bruins with sticks.......

not to mention that the car dealership that got "busted" sells whatever make of car that is the official car of the NHL. :shakehead

GoalDeny

Dec 24, 2010
Canada
Evidence of what?. Checkout these very threads for postings on the car dealership & other Canucklehead Copyright Infringements. Do you have any proof that theres a team of NHL Infringement Agents running around looking for Transgressors?. Maybe thats what that whole NHL Project Guardian dealeo's all about. The Superhero's will crush your business into smithereens with a giant foot right through the roof should you ever have the temerity to doodle a team logo on a post-it-note & put it on the fridge in the staff cafeteria. :scared:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it the NHL enforcing this copyright thing. I remember hearing similar stories in Montreal about the same thing.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Is lower mainland transit (Translink or whatever it's called) an official Canuck or NHL sponser?
Every bus, train, LRT, seabus etc. is displaying "Go Canucks Go" and the like.
So is the Vancouver Intl. Airport, most major hotels....are they sponsers?

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I think it is preliminary to PLAN THE PARADE.

Both cities have parade thoughts planned out already - don't fool yourself. What would be asinine would be winning the Cup, and then trying to play out such a large-scale event on short notice.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it the NHL enforcing this copyright thing. I remember hearing similar stories in Montreal about the same thing.

Ya, there was shawarma restaurant or some such hole in the wall in Ville St.Laurent or somewhere that had a child like drawing of a non-descript hockey player wearing the bleu-blanc-rouge that caught the eye of someone with the Habs, who in turn wouldve complained to NHL Liscencing & who in turn sent a letter to the proprieter telling them to cease & desist.

Is lower mainland transit (Translink or whatever it's called) an official Canuck or NHL sponser?

Yes, I think that every time I see a bus cruising along with its "GO CANUCKS GO" flashers. You also see it on LED message boards at the airport & on the Skytrain platforms etc. They dont use the actual logo, so its kosher.

Both cities have parade thoughts planned out already - don't fool yourself. What would be asinine would be winning the Cup, and then trying to play out such a large-scale event on short notice.

Of course. But Id be willing to bet the Bruins organization wouldnt be so crass as to contemplate a way to monetize the broadcast rights & ask the league for permission to negotiate an exclusive agreement. Whats next; holding a private parade where only those who pay to attend are welcome to what should be a wide-open celebration for the citizens & team?. And then to have it leak out in a newspaper article prior to Game 6 & a possible Game 7?. Ya, you stay classy Vancouver. This is just disrespectful to the Bruins & embarrassing for the Canucks organization who should know better.

sewellda

Feb 9, 2010
Vancouver
I also think the Aquilini's should be cost-sharing the security budget with the Vancouver Police and another one else who is having their budget drained due to the Canucks. Apparently each Canuck game costs in excess of $700,000 for the City to pay for - for road blocking, security, etc. Taxpayers have to pay for this, and while the City supports the Canucks 100% - I do hope the Canucks franchise can pay back some of the tab to the City so other budgets don't have shortfalls down the road.

Heck, the Police was hoping for a Canucks in 4 final mainly to save costs for running each game as well as the issues outlined above.

The city made the decision to install big screens, cordon off streets and provide the venues with portopotties and security. Why should the Canucks have to pay for something the city chose to do...and the argument could be made that it is a good investment; the economic spin off for local business is well known

The Bob Cole

Ohhhh Baby.
Apr 18, 2004
Centre Ice
What on earth has gotten into the Canucks organization?. They've got the league running around the Lower Mainland threatening lawsuits for copywrite infringements on car dealerships & pizza joints and now this. Is it just me, or does anyone else find this extremely distasteful & crass?. Never mind the disrespect it shows their opponents who last time I checked humiliated Vancouver scoring 12 goals in 2 games to Vancouvers "mighty" 1-0 squeaker in Game 5. Show some f____n class already. :shakehead

The only people the threaten are businesses who use the Canucks to their advantage to make a profit. The car dealership scam was the guy trying to make a buck off using the Canucks (he had the green men to an event before and had a decked out car for sale with logos beneath the sign he had up) - it wasn't simply a "go canucks go" sign - of course there is also the fact he sponsors Dan Russel, the radio broadcaster who had the big tantrum over it. But I bet it wasn't in their interest to drum up a big PR stunt...

Anyways, They;ve been allowing those 'go canucks go' signs. They shoot people down who don't have licensing rights and try to make sales off their brand.

Trademark/Copyright 101, if you don't protect your asset/rights then you have no value in your brand.

Last edited:

The Bob Cole

Ohhhh Baby.
Apr 18, 2004
Centre Ice
Of course the NHL "enforced" it. They acted upon the behest of the Vancouver Canucks. The NHL doesnt have "Copywrite Infringement Scouts" combing the Lower Mainland, Pointe Claire in Montreal, Anne Arbour or wherever else looking for this stuff. If they receive a complaint from a team they'll send letters. Usually Registered. The Nuck's are behind those complaints, hiding behind the NHL's skirts, and they've been doing a lot of it ever since Aquilini's acquired the team. This latest issue over monetizing a parade that might not even happen is about as tasteless & classless as a pre-arranged Funeral Salesman hanging out in graveyards passing out his business cards & brochures to the kit & kin of the dearly departed. There are some things you just dont do, and this is one of em'...

Actually - that car dealership complaint was 100% the NHL. Canucks had nothing to do with it until they blew it up on the airwaves.

The Bob Cole

Ohhhh Baby.
Apr 18, 2004
Centre Ice
What on earth has gotten into the Canucks organization?. They've got the league running around the Lower Mainland threatening lawsuits for copywrite infringements on car dealerships & pizza joints and now this. Is it just me, or does anyone else find this extremely distasteful & crass?. Never mind the disrespect it shows their opponents who last time I checked humiliated Vancouver scoring 12 goals in 2 games to Vancouvers "mighty" 1-0 squeaker in Game 5. Show some f____n class already. :shakehead

And again... you have no idea what you're talking about.

1) This was attempted to be done behind close doors until some snoopy Boston reporter took a scoop from an NHL source.

2) Boston has their parade planned out as well.

3) Stop being such a killjoy, pessimistic, crabby fan.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
As are Bruins versions.

(Whichever set is not needed will be destroyed.)

No, they'll be sent to a third world country as part of a tax write off. Every league does it.

Which is why if you're ever watching the news and coverage of a war or a natural disaster in Africa comes up, you'll occasionally see incorrect championship gear in the background from a couple years prior. Was somewhat melancholy when I saw a Chicago Bears Super Bowl XLI champions shirt on CNN in the background of an on-site report two or three years ago....

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
No, they'll be sent to a third world country as part of a tax write off. Every league does it.

Which is why if you're ever watching the news and coverage of a war or a natural disaster in Africa comes up, you'll occasionally see incorrect championship gear in the background from a couple years prior. Was somewhat melancholy when I saw a Chicago Bears Super Bowl XLI champions shirt on CNN in the background of an on-site report two or three years ago....

:dunno:

The NHL in most every FAQ I've seen states they destroy the merchandise. Now, perhaps that's just the player-worn "locker room" stuff (hats, t's, etc.) which is lightly different than the merchandise that John Q Public can purchase.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
how exactly is it classless to ask the league about broadcasting a SC parade? Is it because the final isn't over yet? I would be willing to bet that EVERY SC parade is planned at least somewhat in advance.

its stupid moreso. Vancouver could very well choke & then where does this leave it? You can make plans for a parade all you want, but details like this should never see the light of day until they actually do win the Cup....

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Zambia

The Bears Super Bowl shirts ended up in Zambia

1297466051545.JPEG

God Damn You Rex Grossman :cry:

GardenRomer*

No, you're allowed to use the 'Go Canucks Go'

The league took issue to using logos on a car dealership that competes directly with some of the NHL's biggest official sponsors.

bosshogg18

Oct 26, 2009
Lyle, WA, Tacoma, WA
I also think the Aquilini's should be cost-sharing the security budget with the Vancouver Police and another one else who is having their budget drained due to the Canucks. Apparently each Canuck game costs in excess of $700,000 for the City to pay for - for road blocking, security, etc. Taxpayers have to pay for this, and while the City supports the Canucks 100% - I do hope the Canucks franchise can pay back some of the tab to the City so other budgets don't have shortfalls down the road.

Heck, the Police was hoping for a Canucks in 4 final mainly to save costs for running each game as well as the issues outlined above.

Mark Cuban is footing the bill himself for the Dallas Mavericks' parade. What a class act. Vancouver should follow suit with all the money they make.
http://billionaires.forbes.com/article/0fukgMh7Tn5iL?q=Mark+Cuban

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Every bus, train, LRT, seabus etc. is displaying "Go Canucks Go",

I just drove by a bus on Granville with a lifesized replica of the Stanley Cup strapped to its front bumper, the driver wearing a Canucks jersey, with the LED signage ignoring its route blaring nothing but GO CANUCKS GO. Who knows if the guy driving was even on the right route?. He sure looked happy-slappy like he was already leading a parade. :laugh:

The Bob Cole

Ohhhh Baby.
Apr 18, 2004
Centre Ice
its stupid moreso. Vancouver could very well choke & then where does this leave it? You can make plans for a parade all you want, but details like this should never see the light of day until they actually do win the Cup....

And they don't usually, that is until this new-age media and the desire to have access to every single hidden story by fans.

This wasn't publicly stated, but pried by a Boston reporter from an 'NHL Source".

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
And again... you have no idea what you're talking about.

1) This was attempted to be done behind close doors until some snoopy Boston reporter took a scoop from an NHL source.

2) Boston has their parade planned out as well.

3) Stop being such a killjoy, pessimistic, crabby fan.

:biglaugh:

Rough evening, hey Mick. Your first statement.... anything to back it up? To accuse a poster of not knowing what they are talking about, one first must have some knowledge of the topic. Please source your re-buttals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad