League nixes Canucks plan to sell Cup parade broadcast rights

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Well, I was going to make a post criticizing the notion of selling broadcast rights, but given the fact that other parades (like the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade and the Rose Bowl Parade) have their own broadcasting agreements, that kind of takes the wind of whatever I was going to say.

That being said, the fact that it's a one-time event, is taking place in a public venue, and would obviously fall under the category of a special event that the media would flock to, trying to get broadcast rights out of it does seem quite bogus. It'd be one thing if the Nucks had a parade at the end of the season every year and got broadcast rights for it, but having it for a one-time affair just seems like it obviously shouldn't be something that the Nucks can get exclusive rights to. It's the city's celebration if the team wins the Cup, not just the organization's.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
What on earth has gotten into the Canucks organization?. They've got the league running around the Lower Mainland threatening lawsuits for copywrite infringements on car dealerships & pizza joints and now this. Is it just me, or does anyone else find this extremely distasteful & crass?. Never mind the disrespect it shows their opponents who last time I checked humiliated Vancouver scoring 12 goals in 2 games to Vancouvers "mighty" 1-0 squeaker in Game 5. Show some f____n class already. :shakehead

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
I also think the Aquilini's should be cost-sharing the security budget with the Vancouver Police and another one else who is having their budget drained due to the Canucks. Apparently each Canuck game costs in excess of $700,000 for the City to pay for - for road blocking, security, etc. Taxpayers have to pay for this, and while the City supports the Canucks 100% - I do hope the Canucks franchise can pay back some of the tab to the City so other budgets don't have shortfalls down the road.

Heck, the Police was hoping for a Canucks in 4 final mainly to save costs for running each game as well as the issues outlined above.

JUMBOcanuck

Nov 15, 2007
What on earth has gotten into the Canucks organization?. They've got the league running around the Lower Mainland threatening lawsuits for copywrite infringements on car dealerships & pizza joints and now this. Is it just me, or does anyone else find this extremely distasteful & crass?. Never mind the disrespect it shows their opponents who last time I checked humiliated Vancouver scoring 12 goals in 2 games to Vancouvers "mighty" 1-0 squeaker in Game 5. Show some f____n class already. :shakehead

is this a joke?

JUMBOcanuck

Nov 15, 2007
I would bet not...and he is completely right.

how exactly is it classless to ask the league about broadcasting a SC parade? Is it because the final isn't over yet? I would be willing to bet that EVERY SC parade is planned at least somewhat in advance.

Last edited:

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006
Well, I was going to make a post criticizing the notion of selling broadcast rights, but given the fact that other parades (like the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade and the Rose Bowl Parade) have their own broadcasting agreements, that kind of takes the wind of whatever I was going to say.

That being said, the fact that it's a one-time event, is taking place in a public venue, and would obviously fall under the category of a special event that the media would flock to, trying to get broadcast rights out of it does seem quite bogus. It'd be one thing if the Nucks had a parade at the end of the season every year and got broadcast rights for it, but having it for a one-time affair just seems like it obviously shouldn't be something that the Nucks can get exclusive rights to. It's the city's celebration if the team wins the Cup, not just the organization's.

[Canuckfan]

That's not true. ;)

[/canuckfan]

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
is this a joke?

Is what a joke?.

1) That the Canucks would try to monetize a SC Parade?. Apparently not.
2) That the Canucks would threaten Mom&Pop joints for Copywrite Infringement?. No joke.
3) Is my post a joke?. Im not laughin.

JUMBOcanuck

Nov 15, 2007
Is what a joke?.

1) That the Canucks would try to monetize a SC Parade?. Apparently not.
2) That the Canucks would threaten Mom&Pop joints for Copywrite Infringement?. No joke.
3) Is my post a joke?. Im not laughin.

what's wrong with enforcing Copywrite Infringement. It IS against the law after all. Also there are some businesses who actually pay to be the 'official _____ of the Vancouver Canucks ' so to let other businesses try to make money off of the Canucks name without paying would probably piss of their real sponsors.

Every league does this sort of thing. in the US you can't even advertise for a superbowl party due to infringement, instead they advertise ' the big game' or something similar, not sure what the problem with that is.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
what's wrong with enforcing Copywrite Infringement?.
Every league does this sort of thing. in the US you can't even advertise for a superbowl party due to infringement, instead they advertise ' the big game' or something similar, not sure what the problem with that is.

Of course. As an example Im not talking about a car dealership who isnt an "official sponsor" illegally using the Canucks logo or team colors in newspapers or TV ads, on-line or in direct-mail campaigns; Im talking about the dealerships who put "GO CANUCKS GO" on aerial flags & wrote it on their showroom windows being threatened; some independent pizza joint out in Surrey that had a rough drawing in chalk of Luongo on their sidewalk sandwich board being told to lose it or else. And now this?. Asking for permission to charge broadcast rights for a parade PRIOR to even winning the SC not only disrespects the Bruins its unprecedented. A SC, Grey Cup, Super Bowl or whatever kind of cup parade is a free party, free coverage open deal. The fans thanking the team; the team thanking the fans for their support. To try & capitalize on such an event is classless & crass.

And tell ya what, if Im a Bruins player, a copy of that article goes up in the dressing room prior to Game 6. Yepp. Real smooth move. Lets give the Bruins even more reason to hate Vancouver and come out insulted, angry and pissed, as if they needed any help in that department. Youd think with all the Grizzlies, Black & Brown Bears we have out here, people would be smart enough to realize that you dont go around poking Bruins with sticks.......

Last edited:

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
Of course. As an example Im not talking about a car dealership who isnt an "official sponsor" illegally using the Canucks logo or team colors in newspapers or TV ads, on-line or in direct-mail campaigns; Im talking about the dealerships who put "GO CANUCKS GO" on aerial flags & wrote it on their showroom windows being threatened; some independent pizza joint out in Surrey that had a rough drawing in chalk of Luongo on their sidewalk sandwich board being told to lose it or else. And now this?. Asking for permission to charge broadcast rights for a parade PRIOR to even winning the SC not only disrespects the Bruins its unprecedented. A SC, Grey Cup, Super Bowl or whatever kind of cup parade is a free party, free coverage open deal. The fans thanking the team; the team thanking the fans for their support. To try & capitalize on such an event is classless & crass.

And tell ya what, if Im a Bruins player, a copy of that article goes up in the dressing room prior to Game 6. Yepp. Real smooth move. Lets give the Bruins even more reason to hate Vancouver and come out insulted, angry and pissed, as if they needed any help in that department.

It was the NHL that enforced that

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
I think it'd be cool if they broadcasted it. Would this stop them from showing replays of it later on?

every team broadcasts their parade. (The Wings parades were carried on multiple channels. )

the Canucks want to sell the rights to 1 network. Basically making them the only network allowed to air it.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Interesting the last couple of Stanley Cup finals (this year and last), have produced some INCREDIBLE emotions from fans-above the usual excitement for Stanley Cup playoffs-I don't ever recall such feverent emotions during Detroit, Anaheim, TB, Carolina Cups/finals-I'm thinking maybe going back to 93 (Habs) 94 (Rangers) the last time I saw THIS much emotion, between fans of the teams and fans from the rest of the league.

I mean I know about being passionate about the game but the past two years have just been on another level...

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
It was the NHL that enforced that

Of course the NHL "enforced" it. They acted upon the behest of the Vancouver Canucks. The NHL doesnt have "Copywrite Infringement Scouts" combing the Lower Mainland, Pointe Claire in Montreal, Anne Arbour or wherever else looking for this stuff. If they receive a complaint from a team they'll send letters. Usually Registered. The Nuck's are behind those complaints, hiding behind the NHL's skirts, and they've been doing a lot of it ever since Aquilini's acquired the team. This latest issue over monetizing a parade that might not even happen is about as tasteless & classless as a pre-arranged Funeral Salesman hanging out in graveyards passing out his business cards & brochures to the kit & kin of the dearly departed. There are some things you just dont do, and this is one of em'...

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
every team broadcasts their parade. (The Wings parades were carried on multiple channels. )

the Canucks want to sell the rights to 1 network. Basically making them the only network allowed to air it.

I'm going to play Devil's Avocate-If the Canucks win the Cup, it's a NEWSWORTHY event-and those who are the story can't go and start saying "We only want X network to do it, and we want to sell it and allow news only to that network" (essentially paying only one gatekeeper the right to "express" the news)

Heaven knows in today's world we already enough trouble with gatekeepers trying to determine what is the "news" for us....

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
How would the Nucks go about enforcing this if they did sell the rights?

In Chicago we had camera's from WGN , ABC , NBC , CBS , Fox , CSN all covering along with choppers from all the various networks

It is not feasible for them to sell the rights.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I mean I know about being passionate about the game but the past two years have just been on another level...

Full circle for Mark Recchi. Played in his first Stanley Cup Finals as a rookie with the 1917 Seattle Metropolitans. ;)

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Of course the NHL "enforced" it. They acted upon the behest of the Vancouver Canucks. The NHL doesnt have "Copywrite Infringement Scouts" combing the Lower Mainland, Pointe Claire in Montreal, Anne Arbour or wherever else looking for this stuff. If they receive a complaint from a team they'll send letters. Usually Registered. The Nuck's are behind those complaints, hiding behind the NHL's skirts, and they've been doing a lot of it ever since Aquilini's acquired the team. This latest issue over monetizing a parade that might not even happen is about as tasteless & classless as a pre-arranged Funeral Salesman hanging out in graveyards passing out his business cards & brochures to the kit & kin of the dearly departed. There are some things you just dont do, and this is one of em'...

Do you have a shred of hard evidence for any of this?

Eaglepride*

Well if they win it its their parade right? So they should be able to do whatever they want.

Easy solution claim its only a stream but decide which network is allowed to broadcast the streaming. So the league has no say about it. That said never plan stuff like this in advance could come back to really hurt you.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
How would the Nucks go about enforcing this if they did sell the rights? It is not feasible for them to sell the rights.

I have no idea. Did Mike Gillis hire former Iraqi Information Minister Muhammed Saeed-al-Sahaf as Director of Media Relations & Broadcast Sales for the Canucks?. Maybe he has a contract lined up with Al Jazeera Sport or somethin....:dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->