Post-Game Talk: Leafs win!

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
This Kapanen kid is going to be a problem I think. He isn't going to settle for anything under 4 million I bet. Which sucks.

Marner is going to want 10, Matthews 12. Its nuts.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
I guess most of the people opinion on this board is that his wins were pretty much due to the high power offence we posses, and not because of his individual skills and the ability to bail the team out on a given night. Added to this is a fear of him not being able to do this consistently if something happens to Freddy.
But as a backup he has been doing his part well with the record that you mentioned above so far at least.

Because his saves aren't highlight reel worthy...

Because he's not a no.1 that will come and save the day in case Andersen gets hurt!

Well I like Sparks. He looks like he really cares about the team. Maybe he's just a bit nervous still? In any case, I will cut him some slack for looking awkward until the numbers show that he's hurting the team.

TML11

Feb 11, 2017
I thought Sparks was shaky all night. Even when he makes the save, it's a survival mode type situation, and the rebounds are juicy. His record is such because we are a dominant force, the flaws in his game are obvious and simply not NHL caliber.

If people want to polish broken glass, have at it, but when that's in net I'm not comfortable. He won't be here next year is my thinking, let's just try to keep giving him easy teams and hope we can outscore this liability.
He looks floppy on most saves. Last night, he had about 2 or 3 solid good saves though. For a tall guy he sure sits on his butt a lot.

Reactions: The Cobra

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
And if we were no tax tampa bay everyone would settle for 6.

I feel like he league should somehow get rid of the tax advantage that Tampa and some other teams have.

I mean if teams can sign players for cheap because of the tax, the leafs should be able to buy their players homes, cars, etc to lessen their contract.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I feel like he league should somehow get rid of the tax advantage that Tampa and some other teams have.

I mean if teams can sign players for cheap because of the tax, the leafs should be able to buy their players homes, cars, etc to lessen their contract.

And to make matters worse, the leafs right now try and negate this advantage by signing heavy front loaded signing bonuses...(still does shit for cap room btw)

BUT

The next cba will absolutely remove this loophole.

So that leaves the leafs SOL...while the league abuses the dime the leafs make off of its loyal fan base to help subsidize the shitty markets.

because its OH MY GOD important that we have a team in arizona.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I thought Sparks was good all night. When he makes the save, it's usually comfortable, and the rebounds are fine. His record is such because he has been solid most of the time, the flaws in his game arent that bad and simply NHL caliber.

If people want to put dirt on a glass, have at it, but when its improving, i'm fine with it.. He will be here next year is my thinking, let's just try to keep giving him easy teams and hope he can keep helping us.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
This Kapanen kid is going to be a problem I think. He isn't going to settle for anything under 4 million I bet. Which sucks.

Connor Brown is going to have to be moved.

With the way our team is setup and with what guys like Kapanen and possibly even Dermott will get, you cant have a 4th liner making 2+ million dollars.

Reactions: stickty111

mrbagina

Jan 4, 2017
The offense carries Garett Sparks to another win, that is the 4th time in 7 games he's allowed 4 or more goals that's about 57% can we get a real backup?

one that can actually play? so that the offense doesn't need to score, 5, 6 or even 7 goals a night to win?

That eould be fantastic
I can understand not liking his style, which I think will tighten up but how many of those goals were deflections? He has work to do but he is a rookie. 5-1 sheesh

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I thought Sparks was good all night. When he makes the save, it's usually comfortable, and the rebounds are fine. His record is such because he has been solid most of the time, the flaws in his game arent that bad and simply NHL caliber.

If people want to put dirt on a glass, have at it, but when its improving, i'm fine with it.. He will be here next year is my thinking, let's just try to keep giving him easy teams and hope he can keep helping us.

Well, odds are Gardiner will be gone, which, as with the addition by subtraction of Bozak and JvR, make both of our goalies look better, especially Sparks who probably can't anticipate his gaffs yet like Anderson has become able to.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

Locking up Kapanen long term needs to be a priority after M&M. The kid is well rounded, he's clutch, and he's only going to get more expensive.

mrbagina

Jan 4, 2017
  • Rielly could win a Lady Bying at this point, only 4 PIMs in addition to a potential Norris Trophy
  • Holl looks like an AHL defenseman playing in the NHL
  • Sparks is an AHL goalie. I agreed with the premise of keeping the younger guy due to longer track in the NHL but he just doesn't look right.
  • Tavares, Marner, Kapanen, Rielly all great tonight.
  • Never put Hyman in the top 6 again
  • Moore had a decent debut, didn't look out of place
And the Goat has been winning me over. I thought he was pure AHL material but the last little while his skating is much better, he is starting to use his size, and is making a difference. Also, I've been really hard on Nylander but he showed some of what he has to offer last night (best game so far by a country mile) and if he can keep up that trajectory, this leafs fan is over the moon. I want the Bruins in the 1st round.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Listened to Bowen on the satellite last night while driving.
He and Ralph made it sound like Sparks wasn't very good and that Nylander was much better than he's been.
Not surprised by either of those comments.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
And the Goat has been winning me over. I thought he was pure AHL material but the last little while his skating is much better, he is starting to use his size, and is making a difference. Also, I've been really hard on Nylander but he showed some of what he has to offer last night (best game so far by a country mile) and if he can keep up that trajectory, this leafs fan is over the moon. I want the Bruins in the 1st round.

Gauthier is my favourite marginal Leaf by far. He's out there skating hard and playing physical even though I don't think it's really in his nature. He's at least a willing presence in the defensive end. I'm still not sold that he has enough hockey skill to sustain an NHL career. But these are things he can work on every day like taking a pass consistently while in full stride.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
And if we were no tax tampa bay everyone would settle for 6.

I honestly feel like the Wealthiest teams and owners should get together and threaten the league if exact parity is not reached. Maybe even withhold payouts for revenue sharing. Seriously, the league would need to take action if its biggest cash cows started making noise.

If they get rid of of the way we lockout proof and frontload contracts, I would f***ing lose it as one of the owners of rich teams. No way the NHL can just ignore us if we are pissed.

mrbagina

Jan 4, 2017
Babcock historically has one grinder with every two skilled players, back to his days in Detroit. I expect him to revert to Hyman in the top 6 and putting Kapanen with Kadri. HF has no influence with Babcock.
I threw up in mouth a little....

Reactions: Nalens Oga

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Listened to Bowen on the satellite last night while driving.
He and Ralph made it sound like Sparks wasn't very good and that Nylander was much better than he's been.
Not surprised by either of those comments.

Sparks was fine, he obviously didn’t steal the game but he was fine. The team in front of him played like absolute trash for almost 40 minutes.

Nylander did have his best game of the year. Didn’t hit the score sheet but easily could have had two assists. Started the play that lead to Kap’s first goal with a great forecheck. Good pass to Kadri that ended up with a shot off the crossbar. Skating well all night.

Reactions: stickty111

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Gramps here. Fun game to be at last night. Crowd was different. No suits. Many ticket giveaways I think. I think everyone in place was having fun. It was the way it should be all the time.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
6pts back. we're not stuck anywhere.

We were almost tied with tampa, had a rough two game stretch and suddenly a gap lol.

6 points back on tampa is stuck. They're not going to lose much.

Not literally but I mean, you lose one game and it has such a huge impact on catching them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad