Post-Game Talk: Leafs win!

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Realistically the only chance we have at catching Tampa is winning all three games remaining vs them in regulation.

It will be very hard to catch them otherwise

ehh not really.

last year tampa went on a little slump and Boston nearly caught them.
as long as the Leafs basically keep that 6 pt gap (and if they lose, lose w a point) when Tampa slumps - that's when we over take them, leaving the last 3 games as a toss'em

Reactions: weems and kb

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
ehh not really.

last year tampa went on a little slump and Boston nearly caught them.
as long as the Leafs basically keep that 6 pt gap (and if they lose, lose w a point) when Tampa slumps - that's when we over take them, leaving the last 3 games as a toss'em

Thats assuming we dont also slump. Theres a better we chance we do IMO.

I may have slightlt overstated the importance of those games, but only slightly. Those are the proverbial "4 point games"

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
They won't match up well with a full Leafs team, either.

Any team should be shaking in their pants having to face a full Leafs team...anybody who tells you otherwise is lying.

Reactions: kb

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Thats assuming we dont also slump. Theres a better we chance we do IMO.

I may have slightlt overstated the importance of those games, but only slightly. Those are the proverbial "4 point games"

we've already had our slump. (two in fact). I doubt we'd have another big one.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
we've already had our slump. (two in fact). I doubt we'd have another big one.

We may not have another big one but it's not like we are going to be coasting the rest of the year, especially when it comes to crunch time and teams on the outside looking in start playing desperate for points

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I agree the games against Tampa are key. Yes if we want to catch them we just need to stay in striking distance. But in order to stay within that distance or overtake them...the games against Tampa are huge. If we lose the season series against Tampa that could be enough to keep them out of reach.

Nothing is certain of course. But it's best to win as many of those games as possible. Rather than just hoping for them to slump or weak teams to surprise them, we can just do ourselves a big favor.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Holy jumping.

Theres more than half a season left.

We can definitely still catch TB regardless of how we do in the direct head to heads.

Injuries, slumps, fatigue all play major roles in a 40+ sample size of games.

You'd think we were 10-15 points behind them or something by the way some talk.

Last edited:
Reactions: TML11

TML11

Feb 11, 2017
That overtime goal last night, that was so quintessentially the Leafs pertaining to the players on the ice.

Sparks - gets bailed out again.

Bernier - ex-Leafs still playing like a Leafs.

Kappenan - skated so fast, worked so hard, at the end just on his knees to tired to even know what happened.

Rielly - the great teammate first on the scene to congratulate his teammate.

Nazeem Kadri - getting into another fight with another guy bigger than him.

:dunce:
This is the BEST POST of the game. KUDOS TO YOU!! that was a great read.

Reactions: Polaris1010

TML11

Feb 11, 2017
Realistically the only chance we have at catching Tampa is winning all three games remaining vs them in regulation.

It will be very hard to catch them otherwise
do we need to catch them? so much can happen until the playoff match ups. Their goalie can't stay this hot all season.

Flocons de Mais

Oct 5, 2017
We can reel Tampa in, as long as we keep them within 5-6 points imo. So far we're the only team that has been able to keep them within striking distance in our division and the league for that matter. There are still 45 games to be played for both teams...that's a lot of hockey. 52 vs 58 points, the race is far from over.

I can see your point though, Tampa will continue winning at a clip similar to ours and they are already ahead so its tough, but not impossible.

The best way to reel them in is to beat them when we play them. I think we meet a few more times in the second half. If we continue to play them like we did the first time, we will come out on top.

Flocons de Mais

Oct 5, 2017
As long as Sparks keeps winning (5-1-1) often enough, then he's going to keep buying himself time to find some steadyness to his game at this level. If he doesn't find that, I imagine they try to find a way to add some backup insurance at the deadline.

I'd love to have James Reimer back, to back up Freddie! What would you say to a Sparks for Reimer trade?

Flocons de Mais

Oct 5, 2017
Yep, we'll have to go through the Bruins again likely.

Bruins are currently in a wildcard spot right now, but a few teams behind them, most notably the Islanders and Florida have looked quite good lately, not to mention they're pretty much neck-and-neck with the Habs. I think there is a very realistic scenario where Boston may be either fighting for their playoff lives by the end of the regular season, or even just outside looking in. That would be too bad, because I really do want to go through the Bruins. The Leafs need to exorcise that demon monkey.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Bruins are currently in a wildcard spot right now, but a few teams behind them, most notably the Islanders and Florida have looked quite good lately, not to mention they're pretty much neck-and-neck with the Habs. I think there is a very realistic scenario where Boston may be either fighting for their playoff lives by the end of the regular season, or even just outside looking in. That would be too bad, because I really do want to go through the Bruins. The Leafs need to exorcise that demon monkey.
Bruins also had serious injuries and were missing arguably their most important forward as well as their #1D and captain amongst others. I think it's still their spot to lose, Buffalo has been very lucky this season with the most come from behind wins and a ton of OT/shootout victories. I think that's gonna catch up to them, it's already kinda started after their winning streak ended.

Reactions: weems

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
They're getting important players back from injury, I'd be pretty surprised if they're not in a decent playoff spot by the end of the season.

Reactions: weems

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
no. there are 45gms left.

Yeah, but if we lose the remaining games against them, we'll have a pretty deep hole to dig ourselves out of.

The 4-point-games concept is absolutely valid. Win the remaining 3 and it's a very different picture.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
If they catch Buffalo. Im not convinced they do. They dont match well vs Tampa or Washington, so its not guaranteed we have to to go through them.
I'm ok if the standings end up the way they are right now.

I like our chances against the Sabres with home ice.

Boston moves over to the Metro to face Washington first and the Habs can get lucky against TBL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad