Post-Game Talk: LEAFS WIN! vs RED WINGS | FRIDAY, 29-SEP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I'm still on the fence whether those occasional fumbles by Rosen and Borgman mean they can't play in the NHL yet. I'd like to see both of them tested by faster regular season hockey. They both look better than Marincin and roughly equivalent to Carrick to me.
thought that Borgman showed some hands a couple of times last night but didn't finish those plays well - like on the PP he sidestepped a defender and moved in but sorta lost control once he was past and the puck slid to his winger rather than having him open for a high slot attempt

I'm sure that the smaller ice and faster players make if feel like the walls are closing in, so I think they'll get used to it and will probably be run through a lot of those puck handling obstacle courses like Marner does to get their hands moving faster

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Legit Lol @ people worried about Marner.

He's going to be a beast when the games matter.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Bozak's line was again a defensive liability and their defensive breakdowns resulted in both Detroit goals

Both Bozak and JVR are the most experienced forwards (except Marleau), not sure when they are going to learn the defensive side of hockey - so heartless

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You know what I noticed? for the first time ever Zach Hyman did not play every 5 on 5 shift with Matthews, it was only a couple shifts but we did get a brief look at Marleau Matthews Nylander.

I find that interesting because other than shifts after PK's last year Hyman was NEVER moved off that line

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Let's dial it back a bit here boys and girls. It's the preseason and they've won 5 of 7 games.

Wednesday the real games start. Let the boys get settled in.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Let's dial it back a bit here boys and girls. It's the preseason and they've won 5 of 7 games.

Wednesday the real games start. Let the boys get settled in.
What will happen if the boys and girls don't "dial it back"?

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Nylander and Matthews look like PPG players to be honest. These guys are dominate. Will be hard to Move Willy back to centre once the Bozak era is over.
If this kind of domination continues I would leave it as is and find another C instead of moving Willy.

Put Kadri as the #2C and find someone like Couts or something as the #3C

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Granted it's only preseason, but the Leafs have just won 5 in a row and some on the board are still going on and on about how bad the line combos are?

And to top it all off, the migration killed my iggy list, that I have so carefully developed over the years, so I have to read this nonsense.

Oh well, guess it's time to begin anew........ it was interesting reading some of your opinions again. :rolleyes:

Reactions: mix1home

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
What will happen if the boys and girls don't "dial it back"?
I mean, you can all continue to panic about how 'badly' you think some of the lines have played so far if you wish to.

My point is that it's pre-season and they actually seem to be producing quite decently.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yep, deck still stacked against him

About 5 pounds.

No reason to be.

They've needed to be split up for a long time, makes one wonder if there is another reason why their kept together.

Fine, yes. He does have a ton more to give though.

No reason to be

JVR and Bozak have looked this way for years now, it's not a pre-season thing.

Don't pretend you don't know exactly why they are together

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I mean, you can all continue to panic about how 'badly' you think some of the lines have played so far if you wish to.

My point is that it's pre-season and they actually seem to be producing quite decently.
I'm not panicking, I think they're playing pretty well

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I never pretend anything. I have a theory but only the Leafs know for sure.

No, you know why they are together, I know why they are together, anybody that watched last season knows why they are together.

It's the same reason Matthews and Nylander are together

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
It's still just preseason. People need to relax if there is much criticism in a preseason game we won, I can only imagine how insufferable some people will be when we lose in a regular season game.

We've won the last 5 meaningless games, do some of you even enjoy watching? It sure sounds like for a few here your enjoyment is just ripping on the team.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Hyman -- Matthews - Nylander line was excellent last night.

Leafs other 2 lines are not playing all that well.. The Bozak line looks like to be struggling defensively and the Kadri line (with Marleau) is not generating a lot of offense yet.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The Hyman -- Matthews - Nylander line was excellent last night.

Leafs other 2 lines are not playing all that well.. The Bozak line looks like to be struggling defensively and the Kadri line (with Marleau) is not generating a lot of offense yet.

The Bozak line isn't there to play D, they have ONE job and they are great at it

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You know what I noticed? for the first time ever Zach Hyman did not play every 5 on 5 shift with Matthews, it was only a couple shifts but we did get a brief look at Marleau Matthews Nylander.

I find that interesting because other than shifts after PK's last year Hyman was NEVER moved off that line

That is actually what happened this game.. Hyman was just killing a penalty off and so the 1st shift after the PK was when Babs tossed out the Matthews line but with Marleau and Hyman rested.

That happened a couple of times in the 3rd period. But once the penalties were done again the rotation went back to normal.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
That is actually what happened this game.. Hyman was just killing a penalty off and so the 1st shift after the PK was when Babs tossed out the Matthews line but with Marleau and Hyman rested.

That happened a couple of times in the 3rd period. But once the penalties were done again the rotation went back to normal.

Mope because on 1 of those shifts Hyman was with Kadri and Komarov

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
They are also pretty damn good at allowing goals

Their job is to score tha
Sure we'll go with that.

You do realize that they give up far more than they score?

They sure do give up goals but their job is it score that's it and they are great at it, they combined for almost 180 points last year.

Their job isn't to play D

Just Like Matthews and Nylander aren't on the ice to play D, they might end up good at it but they are there to score. The Pats in the NFL have a slogan, "Do your job.'

The Bozak line and the Matthews line are there to score that's their job.

Being good defensively would be nice but their job is to score

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad