Post-Game Talk: Leafs WIN! (Thank you Smith) 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tamle

Nov 13, 2013
Some people said the first tip-in disallowed goal should have been a goal.. got bored and tried some geometry (by the eyes) and I think it was a good call.

59620f0118febbbb3d078bf8effa89d1.png

The tip was just at cross-bar level (pink line), so call on ice stands due to inconclusiveness. Is this how these cases are ruled? (Initial no-goal on the ice call, then replay shows that it wasn't above or below the cross bar)

Last edited:

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
i really wish carlyle would pull the plug on orr and mclaren. seem like stand up guys, good teammates, but just useless. they don't even fight anymore. at-leasttt guys like d'amigo can skate and have a more offensive mind, and are surely not as big of a liability out there than orr or mclaren. would much rather see a fourth line with ashton and d'amigo instead of orr and mclaren, personally. i just think when i see guys like orr and mclaren out there, i feel like it's being made out to be that the 4th line is a waste line just out there to give the other three lines a bit of rest, when it doesn't have to be like that. 4th lines should have to be effective and the standard should be set higher.

Orr didn't even play tonight and yet you're ragging on him?

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
Happy we won. I'm 2 for 2 in December predictions so far. Luckily I have the Leafs beating the Hens saturday as well.

Ps no sopranos yet?

The Big Chief

Dec 2, 2013
Markham/London
It is an interesting question that perhaps someone with goalie experience (perhaps spidergoalie) could weigh in on.

My best guess - If you look at both plays, he doesn't get into that position until after the shot is released and he recognizes that shot is high all the while he knows he's got a player in front of him ready to screen/deflect. With the player that close to him, perhaps the probability is that if the puck is deflected, it will go north/south and not east/west of him. By standing tall and jumping into the play, he's trying to get the shot to hit his chest and fall into his glove to freeze the puck and prevent any juicy rebounds in front of the net.

Again, just my best guess but perhaps a twist on it - what other way do you think he should have made the play (factoring in his size, the incoming shot, the player in front of him, etc.)?

Well for one, if he has to jump, the puck is going over the net - so just let it go over the net. I'm sure what you said is exactly what he's trying to do, but is it really necessary? The opportunity cost of him jumping to freeze and puck and a potential tip/deflection is way too high for him to be taking these risks.

Mar 14, 2011
Same terrible team but the goalie was standing on his head again.

EDIT: Lol'ed at the leafs always gets the breaks comments, they have the worst PP-PK differential with -43:34, the next team above us is DET with -34:26. How much breaks from the refs could the leafs possibly be getting with that horrible stats.

Last edited:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Same terrible team but the goalie was standing on his head again.

EDIT: Lol'ed at the leafs always gets the breaks comments, they have the worst PP-PK differential with -43:34, the next team above us is DET with -34:26. How much breaks from the refs could the leafs possibly be getting with that horrible stats.

If they think the Leafs always get breaks they haven't been watching the past 2 weeks for sure.

GalacticaActual

Mar 23, 2010
Mississauga, Ontario
Dallas Stars fans bitter about the win. **** them. What breaks did we get exactly? We earned that win based on Bernier's play. The only way Dallas was even able to score was by throwing garbage at the net ALL NIGHT LONG. Throw garbage at the net and hope Horcoff can tip it in.

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
Feels nice to get 2 points in the standings. Even though its a win, it still leaves something to be desired. I'll just leave it at that.

P.S.: Why is it that whichever line Clarkson is on, that line stops producing?

You mean the line that didn't score the overtime winner because Clarkson won the puck on a forecheck, then crowded out the defender in front of the goalie so Smith was open to deflect the puck?

Too many boneheads riding Clarkson because he hasn't put up big numbers yet. Watch the details, he's the only consistent offensive zone mucker we have.

GalacticaActual

Mar 23, 2010
Mississauga, Ontario
LOL reading more of the bitter fan reactions on the Stars board. "That team is so hateable."

It is absolutely FASCINATING how much hate the Leafs get, even from teams that barely play each other. Dallas is not in our conference, not in our division, not in our country, not a rival of any kind, we barely play each other. But they're bleating like slaughtered sheep because they lost to the Make-Me-Laughs.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

One day we're going to win the Cup and the mass suicides are going to take care of the Earth's over-population problem...

GalacticaActual

Mar 23, 2010
Mississauga, Ontario
What? :laugh:

We didn't deserve that game, just like we haven't deserved 95% of our wins this year. The Stars deserved better and that Valeri Nichushkin is on track to become one of the leagues dominate powerforwards. Fantastic young player.

Embarrassing. Someone posted that to Stars fans... Have some pride Leafs fans. You think these fans would ever, EVER come in here after a win and say "You deserved better, Kessel is truly an elite player with great speed. Keep it up boys."

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
This was a decent game by the Leafs - we busted out balls for the first half, and played some pretty disciplined hockey. The team overall got slower and lazier in the 2nd half. Conditioning just might be the biggest problem with this team.

Phaneuf was trash last night. Benn had his way all night, and Phaneuf was to blame on both of those tip goals. Guy has been great all year, but last night he was bad.

Kadri had an excellent game, obviously. That line had some great zone time last night. Seems like the characteristic of almost all Kadri lines. Shows us what difference a gritty C, skilled C can make. If Nashville ever decided to move Mike Fisher, he would be an excellent addition for our team. Too bad we won't have any room for him with Kadri, Bolland and Bozak.

EDIT: Regarding Gardiner - noticed that he is jumping into the play a lot more recently. Maybe he has gotten the green light for RC to be more aggressive. He takes some risky chances, but this version of Gardiner is a lot more effective than the quiet one. A good skating stay at home D would be the perfect partner for Jake.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
LOL reading more of the bitter fan reactions on the Stars board. "That team is so hateable."

It is absolutely FASCINATING how much hate the Leafs get, even from teams that barely play each other. Dallas is not in our conference, not in our division, not in our country, not a rival of any kind, we barely play each other. But they're bleating like slaughtered sheep because they lost to the Make-Me-Laughs.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

One day we're going to win the Cup and the mass suicides are going to take care of the Earth's over-population problem...

:biglaugh:
sorry - that was just really funny.

Embarrassing. Someone posted that to Stars fans... Have some pride Leafs fans. You think these fans would ever, EVER come in here after a win and say "You deserved better, Kessel is truly an elite player with great speed. Keep it up boys."

If we're saying that the Stars deserved to win based on the play on the third... okay? I guess the "break" was when Horcoff's first goal was disallowed but... okay? usually for interconference play - I always hope for a 3 point night due to the fact - whatever happens with them doesn't affect me. I just want minimum a point. which we achieved.

Honestly until Joe and Millen were like "Dallas has 40 shots!" I was like .. when did that happen? (probably in the third). it was very much like the Washington game. the first period we were trading shot for shot, the second period we had some penalties and that's when the shot total went up.

if you guys want to be angry that we had another crappy third period - then by all means, be angry about that - but we didn't PLAY a horrible game, i thought we played rather well.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
This was a decent game by the Leafs - we busted out balls for the first half, and played some pretty disciplined hockey. The team overall got slower and lazier in the 2nd half. Conditioning just might be the biggest problem with this team.

Phaneuf was trash last night. Benn had his way all night, and Phaneuf was to blame on both of those tip goals. Guy has been great all year, but last night he was bad.

Kadri had an excellent game, obviously. That line had some great zone time last night. Seems like the characteristic of almost all Kadri lines. Shows us what difference a gritty C, skilled C can make. If Nashville ever decided to move Mike Fisher, he would be an excellent addition for our team. Too bad we won't have any room for him with Kadri, Bolland and Bozak.

you'd have to wonder if it's not conditioning - but the simple fact of the sheer amount of time spend running around in our own end, trying to get the puck?

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Orr didn't even play tonight and yet you're ragging on him?

He is forming his conclusion from the million games they have played in before. In today's NHL, you need 4th liners who can skate, and play hockey along with knowing how to fight. The kid line last night provided great energy, and played some pretty defensively responsible hockey. I would love to see that line play for a couple more games.

I am impressed with Ashton's work ethic every time he plays. Kid could be an excellent 4th liner, with 3rd line upside.

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON

Just skimmed through their thread. Lots of leaf fans smooching their arse. Its a vomit fest..and star fans apparently hate our guts. That rivalry must go waaaaaay back :sarcasm:

Had a feeling nazem was going to have a big game. Probably had his grandad in his thoughts and wanted to lay it all out there.

GifKing*

Oct 24, 2013
That was a horriballs win.
How a fan can take pride after that stinker is beyond me.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
You mean the line that didn't score the overtime winner because Clarkson won the puck on a forecheck, then crowded out the defender in front of the goalie so Smith was open to deflect the puck?

Too many boneheads riding Clarkson because he hasn't put up big numbers yet. Watch the details, he's the only consistent offensive zone mucker we have.

good post

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
That was a horriballs win.
How a fan can take pride after that stinker is beyond me.

Pretty much sums up most of our wins this season.

Even when we win I am left feeling empty because most of the time we had our ***** handed to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad